Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    This Bodybuilder Decided To Shame A Fellow Gym Member—And People Are Furious - Women's Health
    https://apple.news/AFzjSeYG4QiOSEVJBt6rjcg

You know what caught my eye about that headline? The "people are furious" bit (which is admittedly a bit click baity but still.)

This goes back to what a number of posters have said on this thread - most people don't like this crap, don't like actions which are hurtful or lack decency and will call it out when they see it.

If that is the case why is there a need for a movement, especially if that movement seems to be driving people apart based on something arbitrary like they way they look given its militancy? One has to wonder who the leaders of these movements are actually for - the individuals who they claim to be protecting or their own personal power and gain.

Bingo.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    This Bodybuilder Decided To Shame A Fellow Gym Member—And People Are Furious - Women's Health

You know what caught my eye about that headline? The "people are furious" bit (which is admittedly a bit click baity but still.)

This goes back to what a number of posters have said on this thread - most people don't like this crap, don't like actions which are hurtful or lack decency and will call it out when they see it.

If that is the case why is there a need for a movement, especially if that movement seems to be driving people apart based on something arbitrary like they way they look given its militancy? One has to wonder who the leaders of these movements are actually for - the individuals who they claim to be protecting or their own personal power and gain.

Exactly. Nobody is disagreeing that body shaming is wrong and should never happen. The problem I see is that the FA movement tends to attempt to body shame those who are fit to defend their obesity. Nobody should just accept being unhealthy, and being obese in itself is unhealthy.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I came across this story today.

And it reminded me of so many threads where people talked about being scared or nervous about working out because of the way others might treat them. And it made me think of this thread as well.

What a horrible bully! People who are overweight should be APPLAUDED for taking the first step to enter what will be an initially intimidating environment. Welcome them and support them at every turn. The person who posted that pic has abused her position and is the reason why there needs to be a body positivity movement in the first place!

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I follow Iskra Lawrence on Insta/FB, and on nearly every post where she is at the gym or talking about exercise, there are tons of posts about how she looked better before she lost weight, why is she working out, etc etc. Drives me batty....

I think that SHE has a good message (loving yourself but pursuing health) but the FA army are all over her posts (as well as Ashley Graham, although I don't think that AG emphasizes being "healthy" as much as Iskra so maybe it doesn't annoy me as much)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Exactly! She knew what she was doing was wrong and did it anyway. #smh

Well, ah, this is what the shaming bodybuilder's face looks like. I'll just leave this here.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPptZgO7kfyNmSJDEVARH2s_K8mW2XKfSacTLiJHO5Js3527onGQ

oh, oh my.....
  • erienneb66
    erienneb66 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I will say I struggle with knowing where the line is, with this. I'm big. So very big. But I have no health issues at all to speak of (bloodwork is great blood pressure great etc.) yet. I know it's a yet so I'm working on it.

But I also struggle to appreciate my body as it is. I have issues looking at myself and actually seeing that it's me. Is that weight related? Maybe. I'm supposed to love myself and find myself beautiful but I'm also supposed to want to not be overweight so I struggle to love myself AND want to change myself, if that makes any sense at all?

Also annoyed when I refer to myself as fat and someone tries to correct me by saying "You're not fat you're beautiful" like...not really a compliment? I am definitely fat it's not like you're going to burst my little bubble here. I can also be attractive or comfortable with how I look, right? I dunno. It sucks.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    ...most people don't like this crap, don't like actions which are hurtful or lack decency and will call it out when they see it.

Because the FA Movement isn't just about the overt rudeness shown in that example, just as feminism isn't just about suffrage. The underlying assumptions that lead to these situations are harder to change.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't shame, or judge anyone based on their body, or any differences to myself.
    I've been shamed as a teenager trying to lose weight. I wasn't even at a heavy weight, yet other teenagers can be cruel.
    What I don't like is the assumption that someone is not healthy because of their weight. A while back a doctor really shamed my sister. The only problem that she has is blood pressure.
    He did a full blood test, with excellent results and repeatedly told her she needed weight loss surgery.
    In the past 4 years, she lost 50 lbs and then gained back 30lbs. Yet now she looks and wears smaller clothes than when she was exactly 200lbs.
    She works out every single day, drinks more than enough water, and eats very healthy.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I came across this article yesterday - fat shaming a plus sized model on an airplane. Since it ties into the topic we're discussing I thought I'd share. I don't know how often this kind of overt shaming goes on, but clearly it happens...

http://www.chron.com/life/health/article/Texas-plus-sized-model-fat-shamed-Natalie-Hage-11262578.php
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »

Exactly. Nobody is disagreeing that body shaming is wrong and should never happen. The problem I see is that the FA movement tends to attempt to body shame those who are fit to defend their obesity. Nobody should just accept being unhealthy, and being obese in itself is unhealthy.

I recently had a discussion like this with one of my best friends. She was saying "health at any size" and being morbidly obese with health issue related to that she most certainly isn't.

I told her, as gently as I could as she was looking for agreement and it was just the two of us, that I don't believe in health at any size because being overweight or underweight came with significant health risks, some of which she was already experiencing.

I believe in beautiful at any size, because she is lovely, both outside and in. But healthy, no. And I'm not going to affirm to someone I care about that it's healthy to be the weight she is. I would tell her the same about smoking or eating puffer fish--there are significant health issues that come with that behavior.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I came across this article yesterday - fat shaming a plus sized model on an airplane. Since it ties into the topic we're discussing I thought I'd share. I don't know how often this kind of overt shaming goes on, but clearly it happens...

http://www.chron.com/life/health/article/Texas-plus-sized-model-fat-shamed-Natalie-Hage-11262578.php

"She looks like she ate a Mexican." What a jerk. Since he's made international headlines, maybe he'll think twice before he acts so hatefully again. There's no reason to react to someone like that.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

"She looks like she ate a Mexican." What a jerk. Since he's made international headlines, maybe he'll think twice before he acts so hatefully again. There's no reason to react to someone like that.

Exactly! Sadly your quote makes it clear that he is a habitual bigot who will just make sure there's no tangible evidence of his harassment next time someone who is not like him sits in the next seat.