Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Shaming is wrong.

sc4zyv7caadb.png

Justifying one form of shaming while disparaging another just makes you a jackwagon.
  • russelljam08
    russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't doubt that people, and especially women, get body-shamed whatever their size - and that is wrong. My point was that, when we discuss "fat shaming" and "thin shaming", we cannot do that outside of the context of our society, where normal-weight and thin people have many privileges that fat people don't. I quite like this piece - the point I was trying to make is illustrated in the third section, but of course, the others are important, too: https://everydayfeminism.com/2014/10/skinny-shaming-not-reverse-discrimination/
    Like what "privileges"
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @suzannesimmons3, sorry, I was replying to @russeljam08, even though it appeared directly under your post. But I don't accept you calling it a "moot" point when you haven't even read the links I provided.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Moved to smoking/obese thread.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Is withholding surgery to obese people because they are obese a form of fat shaming? Is this movement coming to North America or is it already here?

telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/17/nhs-provokes-fury-indefinite-surgery-ban-smokers-obese/

Nope. It's a risk evaluation. In most cases, the higher level of obesity the less chance of success from the surgery. Or they might not survive the surgery.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The most vocal members of that crowd are generally just kind of awful.
    For most people though, denial of health risks down the road is the worst thing they have going for them. If I had to choose for another person, I'd rather they be in denial and love themselves than be in denial and participate in their own dehumanization.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don’t think it’s right to shame fat people, but I also don’t think it’s better than other vices, like smoking, or drinking. It does affect other people, and costs tax payers money. It’s annoying to me that it’s socially acceptable to be fat (and even to make your children fat!), but not to smoke or drink.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s right to shame fat people, but I also don’t think it’s better than other vices, like smoking, or drinking. It does affect other people, and costs tax payers money. It’s annoying to me that it’s socially acceptable to be fat (and even to make your children fat!), but not to smoke or drink.

It's not socially acceptable to smoke and drink? What would the reaction be to a, say, 250 pound stripper performing on stage versus a 120 pound stripper smoking and drinking with the fellas at the strip club on her night off or on her break? Or outside in the parking lot if it was a smoke free club?

I’m sorry. I don’t think I get your point.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options
    Okay.. so first, strip clubs aren’t generally the common measure of society as a whole. Second, that’s actually a thing lol. Guys like all types. Fat/thin, smokers/non smoker, drinkers/non drinkers.. still prolly best not to use strip clubs as your sample for all of society.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options
    I think there’s some confusion. By “socially acceptable,” I’m thinking in a moral/legal sense. I wasn’t referring to what’s sexually attractive to the opposite sex. It’s also generally considered to be more sexually attractive for strippers to be younger. There are some strippers in their 50s, but a lot less. Doesn’t mean isn’t not socially acceptable to be in your 50s.