Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Obesity is an obnoxious Ouroboros,

This is REALLY GOOD alliteration

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I would like to add to this...I have been battling smoking forever and in fact smoke very very little now so im happy about that...but SMOKERS HAVE BEEN SHAMED FOR YEARS AND YEARS..very openly...and for all the same reasons...cost to others - SO WHY NOT FAT PEOPLE? IM CONFUSED...

Smoking, at least in enclosed areas, has health effects for more than just you. Otherwise, I don't care (I don't think i've ever commented on anyone's smoking, unless they were smoking near me).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If it's an excuse to stay fat and unhealthy then um no. and lets face the facts. people latch on to stuff like this and never dig in to find out what the intend of it truly is. I"m not skinny i'm not obese but I am healthy and I should love myself. Yes. but in loving myself I want to be the best version of myself possible. I want to help my kids practice their sports, I want to hike with them, I want to play with them. I don't want to be tired and lazy and not be able to enjoy life.

If that's your excuse because you have no willpower or drive whatever. It's not ok. it's not ok to teach our children this. teach them that loving their bodies means taking care of them. social media (hell news media) covers this stuff and spreads it out to the masses. Tells them that it's ok to be fat and unhealthy. well it isn't. Love yourself enough to better yourself, to take care of yourself.

When you say the news media tells children it's okay to be fat and it's okay to be unhealthy, what are you referring to?

I've seen certain accounts on social media promote fat acceptance (I've also seen certain accounts counter it). I'm not sure I've seen the same sort of content in more mainstream news media or journalism.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    [
    ;)

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Media and fat acceptance:
    The fat lady making bologna sandwiches for her family to go to the game. The commercial is actually about an arthritis med I believe, she says something like "Watch me", like she won't let the arthritis stop her. I'm pretty sure sitting on your *kitten* eating bologna and cheese sandwiches isn't going to help your size or your arthritis. Another example is the one where that little fat kid is talking about how smooth he is... as he's eating peanut butter by the spoon full out of the jar. Although there is no real proof we pretty much know that childhood obesity increases with the number of hours a kid spends in front of the TV. Ads geared toward kids with cool colors, characters, prizes and toys... plus the hours spent "sitting" in front of the TV. If you look back about 10 years ago many, if not all of the celebrities, TV commercial actors and actresses and models were waif thin, and getting thinner. If you compare it to the same media today, everyone is fat, or as they like to call it... Fluffy, bulking, strong <--- all made up labels for what it really is: Fat. Even clothes shopping has become an issue for anyone under a size 4. Macy's smallest size is a 4 and when I questioned the sales-woman about it, she said they decided to stock their stores with a majority of sizes ranging between 10-18 and plus... because "That's how women are these days". The whole "Strong is the new skinny" campaign... it's everywhere! Hey, I am all for being strong but guess what, you can be skinny AND strong. You DON'T have to get fat to build muscle (old school bulk/prep). How many overweight people today went through the gluten free, no carb, Atkins, South Beach, just eat a bowl of Special K as a meal replacement phase? How many of those people gained it all back and then some? How many people remember Twiggy? Waif thin anorexic super model... everyone in the world wanted to look like her and many women died to get that skinny. So what happens when that style comes back around and we've got a world full of obese people who want to all of a sudden get down to a size 2?
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I would like to add to this...I have been battling smoking forever and in fact smoke very very little now so im happy about that...but SMOKERS HAVE BEEN SHAMED FOR YEARS AND YEARS..very openly...and for all the same reasons...cost to others - SO WHY NOT FAT PEOPLE? IM CONFUSED...

Smoking, at least in enclosed areas, has health effects for more than just you. Otherwise, I don't care (I don't think i've ever commented on anyone's smoking, unless they were smoking near me).

The point is, there isn't a "smokers acceptance movement" because everyone knows smoking is unhealthy. In the same respect, people are trying to make the point that there shouldn't be a fat acceptance movement for the same reasons. People keep trying to move the goalposts on this debate and say that obese people shouldn't be fat shamed. I haven't seen anybody in this thread claim they should be, only that there shouldn't be a movement promoting something that is clearly unhealthy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LouisTamsi wrote: »
    I like my women curvy, 1940's style, of course this movement has usurped the term to now mean morbidly obese. The funny thing i see with this movement is they say we should accept overweight people but yet not a one of these women want to date an overweight guy. Typical liberal double standards. Personally I want to be called out for being fat because I'm going to do something about it. I am not unhealthy at my size now, but am i as healthy as a 200lb version of myself? I seriously doubt it.

Not a single one of them wants to date an overweight guy? Not even one?

Curious to know how you determined this.