Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• BrSpiritus
    BrSpiritus Posts: 190 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Nadspee wrote: »
    Are you really saying that women don't want to date "an overweight guy"... or are you saying they don't want to date you? Sorry if that's mean, but your generalization seems like it's just a blanket statement that you tell yourself to make sense of your world, but it certainly isn't based in reality. Just an unsolicited suggestion but...you could try liking "your women" for their personalities instead of their curves, to start, if you're having trouble getting a date. :)

Back when I was single it was me and my overweight friends and for the record I do look for personality, my statement was in response to the fat acceptance movement. Also for the record I'm married so I only have to answer to my wife now. And yes it is mean, everyone views the world from their point of view, I can't step into you and see the world as you see it or vice versa.
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    The term morbidly obese was not created by any movement, it is a medical term to indicate that a person is 100lbs over their ideal body weight, or has a BMI of 40 or more. I fail to see how your failure to attract a woman has anything to do with liberals or politics in general. You may not believe that you would be healthier at a lower weight, but there is all sorts of science to refute that thought. Its probably that damn liberal science though...

Your statement says you didn't comprehend what I said. Nowhere did I say that the term was created out of a movement and if you re-read my statement you will see that I indeed said I would be healthier at 200 than I am now which is why I am losing weight.
    Not a single one of them wants to date an overweight guy? Not even one?
    Curious to know how you determined this.

Personal experience and that of my overweight friends. I can't speak to their motivations but I always looked at personality.

• BrSpiritus
    BrSpiritus Posts: 190 Member
    Options

This assumes that you and your friends are so universally appealing to women that, but for your weight, nobody could possibly have a reason to reject you. But that type of man doesn't exist -- in the real world, even great guys sometimes don't appeal to individual women and get rejected.

I would submit that if none of the women in the fat acceptance movement want to date your or your friends, there may be another factor in play. Why do I think that? Because I know several women who would consider themselves advocates of fat acceptance who have happily dated overweight and obese men and women. Some of them even claim to prefer partners who are overweight.

Even if it's true that these women you and your friends have encountered are hypocritical in this regard, you realize you've only personally encountered a very small portion of those who would consider themselves to be part of this movement, right? To draw such a wide conclusion based on your personal experiences is unfounded.

You say that you can't speak to their motivations. But when you accuse every woman in this group of having "typical liberal double standards," you're assigning a motivation to them.

I give up!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LouisTamsi wrote: »

This assumes that you and your friends are so universally appealing to women that, but for your weight, nobody could possibly have a reason to reject you. But that type of man doesn't exist -- in the real world, even great guys sometimes don't appeal to individual women and get rejected.

I would submit that if none of the women in the fat acceptance movement want to date your or your friends, there may be another factor in play. Why do I think that? Because I know several women who would consider themselves advocates of fat acceptance who have happily dated overweight and obese men and women. Some of them even claim to prefer partners who are overweight.

Even if it's true that these women you and your friends have encountered are hypocritical in this regard, you realize you've only personally encountered a very small portion of those who would consider themselves to be part of this movement, right? To draw such a wide conclusion based on your personal experiences is unfounded.

You say that you can't speak to their motivations. But when you accuse every woman in this group of having "typical liberal double standards," you're assigning a motivation to them.

I give up!

Okay!
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a few thoughts. I think the idea of stepping off the scale, not worrying what you look like, and focusing on how you feel is really great! Someone can be 200lbs, lethargic, and binge eating cheetos or 200lbs, going on walks daily, and happily eating well. The second person is living a healthy lifestyle while the first isn't giving much care to their body.
    However, I have seen issues of shaming people who are big, happy, and interested in improving their health or losing weight. The purpose should be to support each other. Support includes acceptance from the broader community, however, and saying that loving yourself at any size is lazy and an excuse to be unhealthy is super harmful and just plain rude.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    People are so strange. When I'm at my usual weight (bmi 19.5-20.5) I get a lot of body shaming comments about being too thin, need to eat a burger, etc but now that I'm severely underweight (16.3) due to illness I don't get body shaming comments anymore. Now all I hear is how great I look. I hate hearing that because I am basically starving to death. 19.5 is too thin but 16.3 is great? I don't get it.
    This makes a certain amount of sense, if the speakers know about your illness now and didn't before. Now what they mean is "You're probably scared about how thin you're getting so I want to say something positive and reassuring to help keep your morale high during your illness!" Before what they meant was, "If you're doing this on purpose you should maybe think twice about it before you get any thinner."

In both cases, the remarks are pretty dumb, invasive, and have a different effect than intended, but it seems likely they are mostly well intended.

By the way I haven't seen a post explaining what your illness is but I'm sorry to hear you're not well and I hope you improve.
  • _em_soph_
    _em_soph_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Obviously fat shaming is wrong, but being overweight really is unhealthy- it’s bad for your heart and other organs! I’m fine if you are happy being overweight but you need to know the health problems that come with it. It does actually matter if you are overweight, not because of people’s judgement but because of your life expectancy.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    People are so strange. When I'm at my usual weight (bmi 19.5-20.5) I get a lot of body shaming comments about being too thin, need to eat a burger, etc but now that I'm severely underweight (16.3) due to illness I don't get body shaming comments anymore. Now all I hear is how great I look. I hate hearing that because I am basically starving to death. 19.5 is too thin but 16.3 is great? I don't get it.
    This makes a certain amount of sense, if the speakers know about your illness now and didn't before. Now what they mean is "You're probably scared about how thin you're getting so I want to say something positive and reassuring to help keep your morale high during your illness!" Before what they meant was, "If you're doing this on purpose you should maybe think twice about it before you get any thinner."

In both cases, the remarks are pretty dumb, invasive, and have a different effect than intended, but it seems likely they are mostly well intended.

By the way I haven't seen a post explaining what your illness is but I'm sorry to hear you're not well and I hope you improve.

@rheddmobile I have gastroparesis and Crohn's. I am just waiting for the call for inpatient TPN (nutrition through a PICC line )and once my weight is up a bit I'm going to get a J tube.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

@rheddmobile I have gastroparesis and Crohn's. I am just waiting for the call for inpatient TPN (nutrition through a PICC line )and once my weight is up a bit I'm going to get a J tube.
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear that - Crohn's sounds rough. Hope you get the help you need and that it works for you.
  • DanR_85
    DanR_85 Posts: 60 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My father had extreme morbid obesity and died at 58 after struggling for 2 decades with multiple health problems--type 2 diabetes which led to vision problems and neuropathy, high blood pressure, heart disease which lead to a triple bypass, colon cancer, gastric reflux disease, sleep apnea, severe arthritis and joint pain in his knees, foot problems, and skin problems due to rubbing and moisture in skin folds. He spent most of his last year sitting and sleeping in a recliner surrounded by empty fast food containers and soda cups. He died during an operation for colon cancer--the cancer did not kill him, but he was in such poor physical condition that he died under anesthesia and never woke up after surgery. Don't be deluded by the possibility that poor food choices and health decisions won't catch up with you. You may be lucky, or you may spend years with health problems that you might have avoided. It may not be easy to lose weight, but it is much harder to manage a chronic condition like diabetes or cancer.

That's a pretty harrowing account. I'm very sorry to hear not only of your father's suffering but that you lost him so soon and had to watch him go through all that.