Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If it's all CICO - why can't you outrun a bad diet?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    You could outrun it, but it may not be healthy to do so. Eating 1500 calories of crap and burning 2000 calories will still cause weight loss, but you will likely be unhealthy because of the lack of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients necessary.

Is crap in the MFP database? What is the nutritional profile of crap? Also, it seems unhealthy to eat crap. You should probably seek professional help for the compulsion that is leading you to eat crap instead of food. That sounds like a serious and potentially dangerous problem.

Ha Ha. I meant that 1500 calories of junk/processed/fast food vs. 1500 calories of vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, etc., doesn't matter for weight loss. But it does matter for overall health. You're obviously not going to get the nutritional benefit from the first group that you would for the second.

I eat 1500 calories of crap, oops, I mean processed food everyday and have for two years and my bloodwork is perfect.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    You could outrun it, but it may not be healthy to do so. Eating 1500 calories of crap and burning 2000 calories will still cause weight loss, but you will likely be unhealthy because of the lack of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients necessary.
    Exactly.

What exactly constitutes 1500 calories of crap? Sounds subjective. Sounds extreme. Possibly a useless example...
    I took it to mean (as one example) a diet based around fast food and/or highly processed snacks, sweets, etc. that provide very little micronutrients. While that's obviously not a very nutritious diet, I think it's fair to say that there could very well be a sizable number of people eating this way.

The thing is this tho...I've done checks and you can easily fill decent macros (mine) eating at fast food places...so to your argument...it's not crap.

AS well the biology teacher who ate at Micky D's for a month, lost weight and blood tests/numbers/bp all got better...

[/quote
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    mom23nuts wrote: »
    I am going to get a lot of flack for this. I don't think its all calories in calories out.

I'll only give you flack for posting this in the wrong thread, since it doesn't seem to be about whether you can run off the calories, wherever from. ;-)
    A calorie is a calorie. Not if your body processes and uses those calories differently. I can eat 200 calories of candy or 200 calories of chicken and my body will handle it differently.

I think this is a misunderstanding. Some people seem to use "calorie" as a synonym for food and think others are saying foods have no differences, which is of course not true. But no one is saying that they are all the same. Foods are not foods when it comes to satiety, nutrition, how they effect your body. But for weight loss, a calorie is still a calorie. Sounds like you, like many people with PCOS, find a lower carb diet more satisfying, perhaps because you have some degree of IR.

The issue with those of us with PCOS is that for me, calories from whole grain carbs affect my blood sugar levels very differently than "white" carbs. A piece of whole grain bread may have the same number of calories than a piece of white bread, but that white bread is going to spike my blood sugar far more than the whole grain bread. That blood sugar won't be able to enter the cells to be used for energy because my cells are resistant to the insulin. As such, the sugar will remain in the bloodstream and turn to fat. Someone whose insulin response is sufficient won't have that same effect. I could eat 200 calories of chicken or a 200 calorie candy bar, and they will have extremely different effects on me and my weight. For most people, a calorie is a calorie. But for some of us, because of the way certain foods affect us, a calorie isn't just a calorie. That means that we can't necessarily outrun our diet because our diet affects us so differently than most people.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

Ha Ha. I meant that 1500 calories of junk/processed/fast food vs. 1500 calories of vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, etc., doesn't matter for weight loss. But it does matter for overall health. You're obviously not going to get the nutritional benefit from the first group that you would for the second.

Actually, that's not true. The biggest advantage to your health is to lose 10% of your body weight if you are overweight, regardless of what you eat. There have been countless studies backing this up...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Is crap in the MFP database? What is the nutritional profile of crap? Also, it seems unhealthy to eat crap. You should probably seek professional help for the compulsion that is leading you to eat crap instead of food. That sounds like a serious and potentially dangerous problem.

I eat 1500 calories of crap, oops, I mean processed food everyday and have for two years and my bloodwork is perfect.
    Two years isn't that much time in relation to how long many diseases take to develop.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Two years isn't that much time in relation to how long many diseases take to develop.

What are you talking about? I was at the high end of overweight according to BMI. I was eating a paleo diet with mostly proteins and fats and yet was almost prescribed a statin for high cholesterol. I changed my eating to a more moderate approach to macros and I am now at an appropriate goal weight. So, yea, I stop the development of CVD for myself.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What if I eat 1500 calories of processed food made up of lean protein (which is always processed), vegetables and fruits -- like, for example, very heathy frozen meals without significant additives of the sort that some people find bothersome?

I'm also not sure how it's possible to generalize about fast food. You can get a salad or a Chipotle bowl or a burger or fries or a grilled chicken sandwich and on and on -- the effect of 1500 calories of fries is going to be different than 1500 calories of Chipotle bowls and salads from various places, although both are ridiculous diets IMO.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

What are you talking about? I was at the high end of overweight according to BMI. I was eating a paleo diet with mostly proteins and fats and yet was almost prescribed a statin for high cholesterol. I changed my eating to a more moderate approach to macros and I am now at an appropriate goal weight. So, yea, I stop the development of CVD for myself.
    Understood. My point was that just because one can eat "1500 calories of crap" and not have any problems at a given point in time, does not mean that one can eat that way for a lifetime and not have any consequences from doing so.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Understood. My point was that just because one can eat "1500 calories of crap" and not have any problems at a given point in time, does not mean that one can eat that way for a lifetime and not have any consequences from doing so.

And conversely a person can eat a diet of primarily whole foods and develop medical issues as well.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'm what ways is a reasonable diet of "junk" deficient where a "lean proteins*" diet is not? How extreme will your example have to be to make this point?

*what's with the continued hate for animal fat? It's remarkably nutritious.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    This is purely for debate purposes - if weight loss is purely calories in and calories out, why can't you 'outrun a bad diet' - surely if you run enough to burn off the calories of a bad dietary intake, you can for all intents and purposes outrun a bad diet?

If a person is in a caloric deficit surely they will lose irrespective of what their food intake is.

begin.....

A little late to this, but it is because you can eat far more calories in far less time than you could ever burn running.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Well I'm glad we got that one all cleared up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Because there's a limit to what you can physically burn off. You'd die of a heart attack from over exertion.

And what's that limit?

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    This is purely for debate purposes - if weight loss is purely calories in and calories out, why can't you 'outrun a bad diet' - surely if you run enough to burn off the calories of a bad dietary intake, you can for all intents and purposes outrun a bad diet?

If a person is in a caloric deficit surely they will lose irrespective of what their food intake is.

begin.....

A little late to this, but it is because you can eat far more calories in far less time than you could ever burn running.

But would you keep eating those calories for the length of time it would take you to burn them off?

Others have pointed out that they could consume 1000 calories in 15 minutes ... but it would take them 2-3 hours to burn that off. Yes, that's probably true. But would you continue to eat 1000 calories every 15 minutes during those 2-3 hours? Or would you be full after consuming those 1000 calories, and be off doing something else with your time for the next 2-3 hours?

Personally, if I do consume 1000 calories in one sitting (rare), I'm stuffed to the gills and don't want to look at food for the next 2-3 hours. So while it is true that I can consume those 1000 calories in a mere 15 min, it takes me about the same length of time to get process that consumption and feel hungry again as it would to burn off 1000 calories by going for a 2-3 hour bicycle ride.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Because there's a limit to what you can physically burn off. You'd die of a heart attack from over exertion.

And what's that limit?

I'm just going to quote Tom Venuto to answer that question. He's done the math.
    The research paper, titled, A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia, gave a specific number on the maximum rate of fat oxidation and energy transfer:

A limit on the maximum energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia is deduced from experimental data of underfed subjects maintaining moderate activity levels and is found to have a value of (290+/-25) kJ/kgd. A dietary restriction which exceeds the limited capability of the fat store to compensate for the energy deficiency results in an immediate decrease in the fat free mass (FFM).

This says that the limit is 290+/- 25 KJ/kg/d, which is a maximum energy transfer rate of 31 kcal/lb of fat per day.

So, if you're a 180 pound male and you're fairly lean at 10% body fat, you have 18 lbs of fat. 31 kcal X 18 = 558 kcal deficit. That pans out to only 1.1 lbs of fat loss per week. Beyond that you lose fat free mass.

Now take the guy who is 280 lbs and 37% body fat, which is 103 lbs of fat. 31kcal X 103 lbs of fat = 3193 kcal per day, which is close to a pound of fat a day which could be safely lost.(6.4 lbs per week to be precise).

This was published in a theoretical biology journal, so I suppose you could say these numbers are theoretical. They are most certainly an estimate or generalization because they are based on research that used one specific population of subjects. However, these findings are consistent with other research which has clearly shown that obese individuals can lose fat faster than lean people.

Trying to burn off beyond some limit (and I have issues with that 31 cals/lb, but even if it is 150% of that) is going to result in LBM loss.
    Secondarily, even at those high rates, you are going to affect hormonal balance which can then result in other long term metabolic issues.

One can easily exceed via intake these loss rates.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

begin.....

But would you keep eating those calories for the length of time it would take you to burn them off?

Others have pointed out that they could consume 1000 calories in 15 minutes ... but it would take them 2-3 hours to burn that off. Yes, that's probably true. But would you continue to eat 1000 calories every 15 minutes during those 2-3 hours? Or would you be full after consuming those 1000 calories, and be off doing something else with your time for the next 2-3 hours?

Personally, if I do consume 1000 calories in one sitting (rare), I'm stuffed to the gills and don't want to look at food for the next 2-3 hours. So while it is true that I can consume those 1000 calories in a mere 15 min, it takes me about the same length of time to get process that consumption and feel hungry again as it would to burn off 1000 calories by going for a 2-3 hour bicycle ride.

Yeah, I think this is the point. How people react to exercise varies. Are you really likely to go eat it all off? It depends. I'm not convinced that I eat much more when very active than when sedentary, all else equal. In fact, I gained weight in the first place by going from a very active lifestyle to a sedentary one and not changing my eating habits (as they seemed fine and were for my prior lifestyle).
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

And what's that limit?

I'm just going to quote Tom Venuto to answer that question. He's done the math.
    The research paper, titled, A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia, gave a specific number on the maximum rate of fat oxidation and energy transfer:

A limit on the maximum energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia is deduced from experimental data of underfed subjects maintaining moderate activity levels and is found to have a value of (290+/-25) kJ/kgd. A dietary restriction which exceeds the limited capability of the fat store to compensate for the energy deficiency results in an immediate decrease in the fat free mass (FFM).

This says that the limit is 290+/- 25 KJ/kg/d, which is a maximum energy transfer rate of 31 kcal/lb of fat per day.

So, if you're a 180 pound male and you're fairly lean at 10% body fat, you have 18 lbs of fat. 31 kcal X 18 = 558 kcal deficit. That pans out to only 1.1 lbs of fat loss per week. Beyond that you lose fat free mass.

Now take the guy who is 280 lbs and 37% body fat, which is 103 lbs of fat. 31kcal X 103 lbs of fat = 3193 kcal per day, which is close to a pound of fat a day which could be safely lost.(6.4 lbs per week to be precise).

This was published in a theoretical biology journal, so I suppose you could say these numbers are theoretical. They are most certainly an estimate or generalization because they are based on research that used one specific population of subjects. However, these findings are consistent with other research which has clearly shown that obese individuals can lose fat faster than lean people.

Trying to burn off beyond some limit (and I have issues with that 31 cals/lb, but even if it is 150% of that) is going to result in LBM loss.
    Secondarily, even at those high rates, you are going to affect hormonal balance which can then result in other long term metabolic issues.

One can easily exceed via intake these loss rates.

Yeah I'm not convinced that 31lb/day equation is that linear either...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

begin.....

The only snag IMO is that not everyone eats for hunger. Some continue eating beyond satiety for taste, texture and psychological reasons...
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

begin.....

Depends on what the meal is. A quarter pounder with cheese, medium fries, and a medium soda (regular, not diet) is right around 1000 calories. I could eat that in 15 min and not be "stuffed" at all. In fact I've btdt and been hungry just an hour or two later (one reason I don't eat fast food terribly often). So I could reasonably eat that same meal every 2-3 hours during my waking hours (let's call it 16 hours) easily consuming between 5000 and 8000 calories for the day. No problem. But I'm not sure I could work out at a high enough intensity, long enough to burn that many calories in the same 16 hour time frame... I kinda doubt it. I would think I would get fatigued a lot sooner and either would have to stop altogether, or would be at a very low intensity, therefore not burning nearly as many calories as I would need to in order to outrun that level of intake.

• lemurcat12
    edited May 2016
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

begin.....

Depends on what the meal is. A quarter pounder with cheese, medium fries, and a medium soda (regular, not diet) is right around 1000 calories. I could eat that in 15 min and not be "stuffed" at all. In fact I've btdt and been hungry just an hour or two later (one reason I don't eat fast food terribly often). So I could reasonably eat that same meal every 2-3 hours during my waking hours (let's call it 16 hours) easily consuming between 5000 and 8000 calories for the day. No problem. But I'm not sure I could work out at a high enough intensity, long enough to burn that many calories in the same 16 hour time frame... I kinda doubt it. I would think I would get fatigued a lot sooner and either would have to stop altogether, or would be at a very low intensity, therefore not burning nearly as many calories as I would need to in order to outrun that level of intake.

That, but with diet soda, was my normal fast food order when forced to do fast food (i.e., road trip). It was quite filling and I'd feel if anything sluggish (high fat) and not want anything more 'til my next planned meal. High cal if lots of meals were made up of that, but for an occasional meal, no. The reason I don't eat fast food is that I don't care for it, not because it's that hard to fit in.

Anyway, I agree with Machka. There are some foods I like where I can eat insane calories in a short amount of time (Indian), but even so that's great for hours. I can't imagine eating and eating. I now don't get Indian 3x/week but maybe 1 time/month around a half marathon or long bike or run, and allow myself to eat whatever I want. Works fine for maintenance. Is that outrunning a bad diet?
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

begin.....

That, but with diet soda, was my normal fast food order when forced to do fast food (i.e., road trip). It was quite filling and I'd feel if anything sluggish (high fat) and not want anything more 'til my next planned meal. High cal if lots of meals were made up of that, but for an occasional meal, no. The reason I don't eat fast food is that I don't care for it, not because it's that hard to fit in.

Anyway, I agree with Machka. There are some foods I like where I can eat insane calories in a short amount of time (Indian), but even so that's great for hours. I can't imagine eating and eating. I now don't get Indian 3x/week but maybe 1 time/month around a half marathon or long bike or run, and allow myself to eat whatever I want. Works fine for maintenance. Is that outrunning a bad diet?

Fwiw, when I do occasionally get fast food, these days I get unsweetened iced tea (hate the taste of diet soda), skip the fries altogether (or sub a salad) and get a double burger, no bun. That fills me up for 3-4 hours, no sluggishness. But the meal I described? That used to be my go-to mickey d's meal and I would always be hungry an hour or two later. Not sluggish at all. Heck, I could do a double qpc, supersize fries (back in the day when they still offered that) and supersize regular soda, and be ready for my next meal in 3-4 hours. For me the carbs awaken my inner monster. And the monster is hangry, lol. Now, 1000 calories of steak and salad? Stuffed to the gills for hours. My point was, mcd's aside, I could easily consume 5000+ calories in a day, given the right food (or the wrong food depending on how you look at it, lol). I'd be hard pressed to be able to maintain a high enough intensity of cardio to burn that off in the same timeframe. I'd really have to train for it and work up to it. Wouldn't need to train for or work up to that level of intake. At. All. And I suspect that rings true for the average person (which is whom I believe that saying is directed at in the first place).