Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If it's all CICO - why can't you outrun a bad diet?

parfia
parfia Posts: 184 Member
edited April 2016 in Debate Club
This is purely for debate purposes - if weight loss is purely calories in and calories out, why can't you 'outrun a bad diet' - surely if you run enough to burn off the calories of a bad dietary intake, you can for all intents and purposes outrun a bad diet?

If a person is in a caloric deficit surely they will lose irrespective of what their food intake is.

begin.....

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    If you are looking for debate, you may want to post this in the debate section.

I've never really understood that saying personally, but to answer your question I think you'd have to first define what is meant by a bad diet. Are we talking about a diet that creates a caloric excess, or a diet that is nutritionally deficient?
  • parfia
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I've never really understood that saying personally, but to answer your question I think you'd have to first define what is meant by a bad diet. Are we talking about a diet that creates a caloric excess, or a diet that is nutritionally deficient?

I didn't realise there was a debate section :blush:
  • parfia
    edited April 2016

I meant a diet that is nutritionally bad - if I eat 2,000 calories worth of cheeseburger a day (I don't!) and burn 3,000 calories in a day with exercise - surely that's outrunning a bad diet?
  • parfia
    edited April 2016
    @richln But if that pizza is all you have in a day and you burn that over the day - surely you would still lose ?
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    In my experience people say this in reference to fitness goals (see also "abs are made in the kitchen") basically what I take their meaning to be is that 2000 calories of cheeseburger may not help you hit your macros and micros and athletic performance may suffer. Regardless it is an idiom so take it with a grain of salt (another!) :)
  • evildeadedd
    evildeadedd Posts: 108 Member
    In theory to a point you could. At my weight I maintain at over 3000 calories,that's a lot of food. If I spent hours in the gym a day I could burn enough to lose some weight. The trouble comes in that I am a binge eater. It is very easy for me to eat thousands and thousands of calories if I am not mindful. And that is the heart of the statement if I personally use it. I am not saying it's impossible, I saying that one: you still have to be somewhat mindful of you intake and two: while it is theoretically possible, it is going to be incredibly inefficient, with no possible way to predict results.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    You can, it is just difficult. It takes just 10 minutes to eat a 2000 calorie meal and hours of hard labor to burn it off. Idle snacking can lead to a high calorie surplus, during which little, or nothing, is burned off. There will come a point where there is just not enough time to "run off" the excess calories taken in by a "bad diet".

Then again, define "bad diet". One in which one takes in more calories than is burned? That leads to weight gain.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    No matter how far or fast you run, if you still eat more calories than you burn, you will put on weight.

This is how I've always understood it when I would hear the saying.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    It's another one of these oft-trotted out health and fitness phrases that doesn't really hold any value.
    parfia wrote: »

I meant a diet that is nutritionally bad - if I eat 2,000 calories worth of cheeseburger a day (I don't!) and burn 3,000 calories in a day with exercise - surely that's outrunning a bad diet?

That's outrunning the calorie element of your dietary intake.

As running doesn't provide any dietary nutrients, you aren't outrunning the nutritional aspect.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    edited April 2016
    I can now lose weight eating the same number of average calories daily that caused me to gain in the first place, due to my activity level.

I didn't really have a "bad diet". I was eating on average about 400-700 calories more than I was burning daily during a challenging time in my life because I stopped training for endurance events (i.e. 200 mile bicycle races, marathons etc.)

There is a grain of truth to the statement for someone who is just beginning a diet and exercise program. For someone just starting out, trying to create a deficit primarily by exercise is hard. To be safe and healthy, you need to ramp up exercise as you become more fit. If someone were to go from sedentary, for example, to running 1:30 each day cold, there would be a huge risk of injury or other problems.

Early on as I was losing the weight I gained, it was primarily about diet. I was 75 pounds heavier than my competition weight, and exercise came hard at first. About halfway through, it was more about the calories burned.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    I think that you CAN outrun a bad (highly caloric is what I think is meant by the expression) diet--meaning it is theoretically possible--but for most people, it would mean an activity level that is unrealistic. And so one cannot outrun a bad diet, practically speaking. Your average Joe or Jane could not or would not put in the amount of activity it would take to override, say, a large bag of Doritos. Or carton of ice cream. Or whatever.
  • random_123
    random_123 Posts: 9 Member
    @richln But if that pizza is all you have in a day and you burn that over the day - surely you would still lose ?

You can outrun it. Most military bases feed soldiers exactly this type of heavy food day in day out, three times a day and the majority outrun it. But you're talking 6 hours a day walking everywhere, 1-2 hours PT doing all sorts and then non sedentary activity for the balance - this is also ignoring the full days you spend on exercise. Pretty hard to mimic 10 hours of continuous light-heavy effort with the majority of full time jobs.

As they get more senior and have to do less physical work, the ones who are not nutritionally aware tend to get fatter.
  • parfia
    cityruss wrote: »
    It's another one of these oft-trotted out health and fitness phrases that doesn't really hold any value.

As running doesn't provide any dietary nutrients, you aren't outrunning the nutritional aspect.

But if a calorie is a calorie - why does it matter where it comes from?
  • WinoGelato

You're conflating calorie deficit and nutritionally deficient. Losing weight is a numbers game. If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight, whether it be a nutritionally balanced diet, a diet made up of nothing but cheeseburgers, etc. The majority of the calories we burn in a day come from just being alive and our every day activity (NEAT). Add in any exercise and you have your TDEE, so if you eat less than that you would lose weight.

That still hasn't even touched on nutrition. You can lose weight and not be obtaining a good balance of macro and micro nutrients. I would still call that a bad diet overall, but a diet filled with cheeseburgers could still achieve a lot of those nutritional goals, depending on what you put on the burger!
  • WinoGelato
    cityruss wrote: »

But if a calorie is a calorie - why does it matter where it comes from?

It doesn't. That's a different, and often discussed concept as well. A calorie is a unit of energy and doesn't matter whether it comes from cheeseburgers or broccoli.

That's not what the question you posed is addressing though.

Search "is a calorie a calorie" and I guarantee you'll find plenty of prior threads discussing/debating this.