Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If it's all CICO - why can't you outrun a bad diet?

Options

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I think of this phrase as applying to both the calorie intake and the quality of the diet. IMO, if someone is eating an appropriate amount of calories but from largely nutrient poor sources, I would still consider that a bad diet. No amount of exercise can "make up" for the lack of a proper intake of micronutrients.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    This is purely for debate purposes - if weight loss is purely calories in and calories out, why can't you 'outrun a bad diet' - surely if you run enough to burn off the calories of a bad dietary intake, you can for all intents and purposes outrun a bad diet?

If a person is in a caloric deficit surely they will lose irrespective of what their food intake is.

begin.....

Huh? I've always used it and seen it as a comment on calories. You can't exercise enough to overcome eating too much.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    If you are looking for debate, you may want to post this in the debate section.

I've never really understood that saying personally, but to answer your question I think you'd have to first define what is meant by a bad diet. Are we talking about a diet that creates a caloric excess, or a diet that is nutritionally deficient?

I meant a diet that is nutritionally bad - if I eat 2,000 calories worth of cheeseburger a day (I don't!) and burn 3,000 calories in a day with exercise - surely that's outrunning a bad diet?

You actually can out run a bad diet. That is a little quip with no basis in fact. In your example, you would be losing two lbs a week.

My diet currently is nowhere near 'healthy' or 'clean'. But my calculations are good and I make sure my activity is high enough so I net a 1 lb loss every week. 8 weeks in 10 lbs down. While I can't run right now due to an ankle injury I am in fact 'out cardioing' a 'bad' diet.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Put your headphones on and start your running app. Run until it says "you have burned 1000 calories", for me between 7 and 8 miles. Now go straight to McDonalds and eat a big mac & fries. Tell me which one takes longer to do, there you will find the answer.

But you're not going to keep eating big macs and fries as soon as you've finished one ... you probably won't want to eat anything for a couple hours. So it balances out. :)

I go for long bicycle rides on the weekends ... then I come home and eat a Dominos pizza. And I've still burned more calories than I've consumed. That pizza is just replenishing things. :)

(BTW - I lost 55 lbs during 2015 doing that ^^ )
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »

I've never really understood that saying personally, but to answer your question I think you'd have to first define what is meant by a bad diet. Are we talking about a diet that creates a caloric excess, or a diet that is nutritionally deficient?

I meant a diet that is nutritionally bad - if I eat 2,000 calories worth of cheeseburger a day (I don't!) and burn 3,000 calories in a day with exercise - surely that's outrunning a bad diet?

You actually can out run a bad diet. That is a little quip with no basis in fact. In your example, you would be losing two lbs a week.

My diet currently is nowhere near 'healthy' or 'clean'. But my calculations are good and I make sure my activity is high enough so I net a 1 lb loss every week. 8 weeks in 10 lbs down. While I can't run right now due to an ankle injury I am in fact 'out cardioing' a 'bad' diet.

that's where the confusion comes in...imo it's not talking about the value of the nutrients in the food you are eating it's the amount of calories you are consuming.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Put your headphones on and start your running app. Run until it says "you have burned 1000 calories", for me between 7 and 8 miles. Now go straight to McDonalds and eat a big mac & fries. Tell me which one takes longer to do, there you will find the answer.

But you're not going to keep eating big macs and fries as soon as you've finished one ... you probably won't want to eat anything for a couple hours. So it balances out. :)

I go for long bicycle rides on the weekends ... then I come home and eat a Dominos pizza. And I've still burned more calories than I've consumed. That pizza is just replenishing things. :)

you are missing the point tho...how many people do 24hour bike trials?

Most people eat too much food for the activity they do but feel if they "have a killer session at the gym" then they can eat all the foods and they can't...why because in fact the maybe burned 500 calories and are consuming 1000 and that's puts them over maintenance.
  • Machka9
    edited April 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    ryry62685 wrote: »

that's where the confusion comes in...imo it's not talking about the value of the nutrients in the food you are eating it's the amount of calories you are consuming.

you are missing the point tho...how many people do 24hour bike trials?

Most people eat too much food for the activity they do but feel if they "have a killer session at the gym" then they can eat all the foods and they can't...why because in fact the maybe burned 500 calories and are consuming 1000 and that's puts them over maintenance.

The long rides I'm referring to in the post above aren't 24-hour rides. I used to do 24-hour rides a number of years ago and I'm building up to that again (I hope), but for right now, a long ride might be a little 100 km (5-6 hour) jaunt. Enough for a pizza. :)

And yes, you do have to be realistically aware of what you're burning and what you're consuming.

I've been counting calories since the mid-1980s ... used to be, I counted to get my calorie count up enough to fuel what I was doing. Last year I counted to lose some weight I put on when *life* stepped in and I couldn't exercise as much as I wanted. This year, I'm counting to maintain, in light of my gradually increasing exercise load.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

wanna make a bet? ;)

To the OP, there is no debate if you interpret the "bad diet" to mean excess calories (which I do). If you interpret "bad diet" as a cheese burger that's debatable. I have lost 55lbs eating cheeseburgers as well as pizza, ice cream, chocolate, etc. (I don't mean I solely ate these items but they are incorporated in my diet)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat like 10 minutes after a big ride and beer...lots.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

I have lost 55lbs eating cheeseburgers as well as pizza, ice cream, chocolate, etc. (I don't mean I solely ate these items but they are incorporated in my diet)

Me too!! :)

• strip3scat
    strip3scat Posts: 22 Member
    Options

If you ate 2000 calories and burned 3000 calories, you would lose weight. If those calories were just cheeseburger, you'd lose weight, yes, but you'd be pretty starved nutritionally.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You probably don't want to exercise for another 1000 calories either for a while and I'd almost bet money that the refractory period between "wanting to eat again" is smaller than the one between "being ready for another intense workout" in almost everyone.
  • Machka9
    edited April 2016
    Options

You probably don't want to exercise for another 1000 calories either for a while and I'd almost bet money that the refractory period between "wanting to eat again" is smaller than the one between "being ready for another intense workout" in almost everyone.

Depends on the day ... sometimes I'm ready to just keep going and going and going ... other days not so much ...

But if I eat a lot (or what I think is a lot), I really don't want to look at food for a while. I had a Zambrero's burrito for dinner last night (approx. 750 cal) and I didn't touch anything else for about 3.5 hours. Too full.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My opinion:

CICO is about losing weight. Nutrition and exercise are about improving the health and appearance of your body.

It would take me nearly 4 hours of running to burn 3000 calories. I have better things to do with my time so those cheeseburgers start looking like more trouble than they are worth.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't think I could eat 3000 calories in cheeseburgers, so there's that.

In my teens and early 20s, I could outrun a bad diet, in the sense that I never thought about what I ate and yet did not gain weight.

By my 30s, I could not do that -- I needed to at least be a little mindful, even at my most active.
    Also, might I suggest we next debate "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" or possibly "a stitch in time saves 9."

Heh, this.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't think I could eat 3000 calories in cheeseburgers, so there's that.

In my teens and early 20s, I could outrun a bad diet, in the sense that I never thought about what I ate and yet did not gain weight.

By my 30s, I could not do that -- I needed to at least be a little mindful, even at my most active.
    Also, might I suggest we next debate "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" or possibly "a stitch in time saves 9."

Heh, this.

3000 calories would be approximatly 6.5 McDoubles
  • Machka9
    Options
    3000 calories would be approximatly 6.5 McDoubles

Urg!
  • Machka9
    Options
    For me, CI<CO comes down to this ...

I will consume fewer calories than what I burn in a day. However, how I go about accomplishing that may vary.

During the week, for example, I don't exercise a whole lot, so therefore I eat less. On the weekends, I exercise a lot more, so I eat more. This means that during the week, I might stick to a lot of veggies and lower calorie things ... but on the weekend I might have pizza, fish and chips, or something higher calorie (Interestingly, as an aside, now that I think about it, it has been ages ... almost a year ... since I've had a hamburger. For some reason they don't appeal.)

And that approach has helped me stick with it because I've got variety and flexibility. :)