Ramadan, fasting, MFP, and you. A guide

Options

Replies

• geekishgirl
    geekishgirl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know this post is almost a year old but I wanted to thank the OP. I am not Muslim and obviously will not be participating in Ramadan but I learned so much about your culture and religion. I had a friend that observed Ramadan and she explained it to me a little but this had much more information. So thank you for sharing in a public forum and allowing others to learn more about this very special time. I wish you all well this year!
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Ramadan Mubarak guys! Taraweeh soon :)
  • SammieDQ37
    SammieDQ37 Posts: 37
    Options
    bump to place back in cue:flowerforyou:
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    breaking my first fast in about 6 hours from now....you wouldnt believe how thirsty i am already haha
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Ramadan kareem, in few hours we will be starting our 1st fast. Anxiously waiting to start the fasting month:smile:
  • linstapler
    linstapler Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The first time I am going to use MFP during fasting month as I plan to incorporate light workouts and also not over indulge during iftar :)

Ramadan Mubarak everyone!
  • Fahim1965
    Fahim1965 Posts: 3
    Options
    Assalam U alaikum (Peace be unto you)
    I was worried that the World Cup plus Ramadhan might completely throw me off kilter.
    However, I have started my Ramadhan for the first time with my Jawbone UP with MFP and life hasnt changed.
    No heavy workouts for me, just 10k steps which I managed to get pottering around the office and then 1 hour on brisk walking treadmill just before iftar.
    As for iftar, I have so many calories left, that I am managing fine so long as I dont blow them on oily stuff and coke. mfp has really helped me think about a sensible iftar.
    Wishing all a Blessed Ramadhan.
  • earthsember
    earthsember Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Salam, I am so happy to see this thread, and also to read back over it. Ramadam Mubarak all <3<3
  • _meremy
    _meremy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    just over two weeks to go :) i'm looking forward to Ramadhan.
    dont think i will be working out at all though as here in the UK the fast will be lasting 20 hours this year!
    i'd be happy to maintain, not going to worry too much about having a weight loss every week.
    Ramadhan Mubarak everyone

I hear you about working out. I usually walk in Ramadan, or do some jobs around the house.

Hey, I'm a hijabi and I managed to work out while fasting this year. I found it easy as I only had to wait max hour and half till I ate again. (UK and work out after work at 6pm).

The only thing I changed was the intensity of the workout so say instead of 25 x3 of tyre flips I did 10x3 instead.

It was a great thing I did ever and who knew I had this much energy at that time. And plus I seemed to impress the workers at the gym as I was the only hijabi during the holy month.

Sorry for just posting this now, I only recently started logging in without fail everyday.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Changingmyfatitude Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree! Bump

Would be great to hear what everyone's plans are.
  • HavtaLose
    HavtaLose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about my workout this Ramadan. We have 16 hr fasts this yr. Hunger is not issue for me but i get pretty thirsty while working out. And then after Iftar, i feel v busy with Maghrib, Isha, Taraweeh and night Quran and then wake up early for Tahajjud and suhur. So far I'm going to be very happy if i can just stick to my daily calories of 1350. If i start going over or weight loss decreases, I'm going to seriously think about exercise. My goal is to lose atleast 20lbs by Sept and it's going to get hard if I don't stay on track this Ramadan. Last Ramadan i GAINED 5lbs.
  • Changingmyfatitude
    Changingmyfatitude Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    HavtaLose wrote: »
    I'm worried about my workout this Ramadan. We have 16 hr fasts this yr. Hunger is not issue for me but i get pretty thirsty while working out. And then after Iftar, i feel v busy with Maghrib, Isha, Taraweeh and night Quran and then wake up early for Tahajjud and suhur. So far I'm going to be very happy if i can just stick to my daily calories of 1350. If i start going over or weight loss decreases, I'm going to seriously think about exercise. My goal is to lose atleast 20lbs by Sept and it's going to get hard if I don't stay on track this Ramadan. Last Ramadan i GAINED 5lbs.

I think if you can manage to stick to your calories, log diligently you will be fine. Even if you cant get a full workout in try going a long walk. I think being active even from a mental point of view during fasting is really helpful.

Especially when it gets hot, being active helps that sleepy feeling. Just plan ahead with meals etc so you can still make good choices.

Good luck and Ramadan Kareem in advance
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Bump! :flowerforyou:
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    My Ramadan plan is the same as any other day--Eat to my macros and drink plenty of fluid, and get in my steps.

I'm lucky in that it's just me and my husband living at home, so we don't have to make all the fatty fried goodies that a lot of people insist are a Ramadan staple. :) We'll break our fast with dates and water, then we'll have a regular meal that fits our calories (Usually something slightly higher in calories than our non-fasting norms, like pasta or mac 'n' cheese). Dinner and suhoor will both be light meals (a peanut butter sandwich and some dates, for example).

Ramadan Mubarak, everyone!
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    We have a 4 hour eating window where I am cutting out junk so will not be able to eat anywhere near as many calories to maintain. As for working out, i will be lifting after tarawee prayer as I have an hour window before suhoor to eat again. I live with my husband and 2 young daughters and we don't eat the traditional fatty and sugary foods during Ramadan so unsure how to make up the calories
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I typically lose 6-9 pounds during Ramadan doing this. And I'm not overweight
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    HavtaLose wrote: »

I think if you can manage to stick to your calories, log diligently you will be fine. Even if you cant get a full workout in try going a long walk. I think being active even from a mental point of view during fasting is really helpful.

Especially when it gets hot, being active helps that sleepy feeling. Just plan ahead with meals etc so you can still make good choices.

Good luck and Ramadan Kareem in advance

Regarding thirst: I remember reading suggestions last year about eating fruits during eating time at night so that you are not dehydrated during the day. This matters especially when Ramadan occurs in the summer.

This is a helpful link from the UK.

http://www.communitiesinaction.org/Ramadan Health and Spirituality Guide.pdf
  • sukkara
    sukkara Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • BeHappy4good
    BeHappy4good Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on the other side of the coin. My regular goal is to make sure I get my 5-9servings of veg every day and then not worry too much about whatever I'm eating. I have plenty of time during regular days to get that done and probably eat my 1800-2000 calorie diet no problem (I can't count calories - itd drive me crazy). But during Ramadan, eating a huge plate of broccoli or spinach trying to get to 5 servings in one sitting is exhausting. It takes forever to chew that much food at just iftar (I don't wake up for sehri except to drink water). I am also trying to get my minimum 2L of water everyday. Between the veg and the water, I end up not having enough space for carbs or proteins and my body is suffering. Usually, I am strong and energetic but during Ramadan, I can't even go up 2 flights of stairs bc I get light-headed from severe calorie deficit. I counted today and pretty disappointed that I got around 600-700 calories in only.