Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Shame - does it hinder or help you lose or gain weight?

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    FeedMeFish wrote: »
    Define shaming? If you mean bluntness, pointing out the obvious, etc then yes that can be very helpful. Back when I was obese my mom eventually spoke up and told me I'm fat, I need to lose weight, I'm setting myself up for health problems etc. She also said to look at how big my clothes are (were). And during dinner she said to stop eating like a "pig", followed by "no wonder you're gaining weight". It's been a few years and after making a lot of changes, I'm slim and lean and more active. I probably would not have noticed the gradual damage I was doing to myself back then had my mom continued to kiss my butt and sugar coat everything. I'm thankful she finally spoke up. Obesity is on the rise and a lot of them need reality checks. Just saying.

I think part of a mother's job is to tell their children the hard truths in the way that will be best accepted by the child. So I wouldn't call that shaming (you might see it differently though). How would you have felt if strangers were telling you those things?
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Define shaming? If you mean bluntness, pointing out the obvious, etc then yes that can be very helpful. Back when I was obese my mom eventually spoke up and told me I'm fat, I need to lose weight, I'm setting myself up for health problems etc. She also said to look at how big my clothes are (were). And during dinner she said to stop eating like a "pig", followed by "no wonder you're gaining weight". It's been a few years and after making a lot of changes, I'm slim and lean and more active. I probably would not have noticed the gradual damage I was doing to myself back then had my mom continued to kiss my butt and sugar coat everything. I'm thankful she finally spoke up. Obesity is on the rise and a lot of them need reality checks. Just saying.

I think part of a mother's job is to tell their children the hard truths in the way that will be best accepted by the child. So I wouldn't call that shaming (you might see it differently though). How would you have felt if strangers were telling you those things?

To answer your question, I'll admit back then I would have probably taken it much worse by a stranger than I did by my mom. Fortunately, I'm now several years older and since then have been through a lot of drama so I can take a hit from anyone now lol.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    bangbangchoochootrain Posts: 118 Member
    Options

To answer your question, I'll admit back then I would have probably taken it much worse by a stranger than I did by my mom. Fortunately, I'm now several years older and since then have been through a lot of drama so I can take a hit from anyone now lol.

So I would have reacted the opposite. Anytime my mom mentions my weight, I shut it down. If strangers talk about my weight, I shut them down. My weight is something I have to control - no one else gets input. Especially since oftentimes I was being "shamed" by people when I felt (and was, actually based on any normal test like blood pressure, cholesterol, or running a mile) great, despite being overweight.

I think the earlier post about the shame being read as an attack was spot on for me, personally. I have the type of personality where if someone tells me to do something I will not do it just to spite them, even if I wanted to do it in the first place. It's gotten a lot better, but certain topics still bring out that inner dragon.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I needed a little bit of shame to get started. If I felt zero shame about my weight, I would have just stayed where I was or kept on gaining. Looking into the mirror or at pictures of myself on Facebook started making me feel ashamed of myself. How did I let it get this far?

Then I turned that around into determination. I wasn't going to let it continue. I wasn't going to feel ashamed of myself anymore.

I needed a little bit of shame to make it feel necessary to change my life. I get that it can go too far, but I think a little bit is necessary. Its when you let it completely consume you and you wallow in it that it gets you into trouble.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    What is your experience? Does shame help you lose weight?

Does someone who says something that causes you to feel shame help or hinder you?

As far as I am concerned, these are two very different scenarios.

As far as feeling ashamed of myself goes, it was just one of the reasons why I eventually lost weight, along with health issues and vanity. But I believe the shame I felt for myself also greatly hindered my weight loss, because self-shame made me hate myself, and that self-hatred manifested in not taking care of myself in a myriad of ways. Weight loss was not even a thought I had, and finally getting to that point is something that still surprises me - I'm not really sure what finally made me do it.

Now, somebody else saying things to me about my weight? Well, that never happened, nobody ever said anything to me. But I have had people say some really embarrassing things to me about things I have done, and said them in front of several other people, including family members, and those occasions hurt and shamed me to the core, and are painful moments in my life that I will never forget. In one of the cases, it caused me to change that particular thing, but the questionable "positive" that was gained from me making that change does not balance out the extreme "negative" moment of public shaming and the memory of it that I will always carry. This "balance" holds true for me for all public humiliation of this nature, except that in most of the other cases, it caused me to not only NOT make the changes, but to carry resentment against those that used "tough love" (if you want to believe that's what it is instead of bullying and a need to control) to try to make me follow their lifestyle instead of my own.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Shame just makes me eat more.

A bad disc in my back that was causing extreme pain in my left hip and thigh finally motived me to get off my butt.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I seem to be the lone wolf here.

When I found that I had begun gaining weight (due to some laziness and some hormone changes due to aging, and a general wish to eat whatever I wanted), I was ashamed of myself. No one else "shamed" me.

But I want to be a person who values her health and cares for her body. My view is that I've been given a healthy body and want to care for it out of a place of gratitude. So I was ashamed that I hadn't.

It wasn't any big, dark, sinister shame -- it was just a realization that I had become complacent and wasn't caring for my body. I was ashamed of that and wanted to change it. So, yes, shame motivated me to get started treating my body better.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I wonder if we are all using the same definition of "shame" here. Many of you seem to use shame as a verb -- people humiliating or harassing someone. I think of "shame" as a a noun -- the sobering realization of my own shortcomings and mistakes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I think of that as being ashamed, and don't see that as a big deal. Feeling shame is something more, something that to me tends to be debilitating, not empowering--it spurs me to feel hopeless and worthless and to wallow, not to action.

I had a realization when I saw a photo of myself and was embarrassed by how fat I'd become. Became motivated and determined to lose weight and did. That wasn't shame. Shame was back when I used to hate myself and think I was worthless.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    I wonder if we are all using the same definition of "shame" here. Many of you seem to use shame as a verb -- people humiliating or harassing someone. I think of "shame" as a a noun -- the sobering realization of my own shortcomings and mistakes.

If I remember correctly, the original context of this thread was regarding the appropriateness of shaming another person in an attempt to make them want to lose weight. It came up in a separate thread about the fat acceptance movement, which tends to decry "fat shaming", and the OP here began this discussion so as not to derail the other thread.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

If I remember correctly, the original context of this thread was regarding the appropriateness of shaming another person in an attempt to make them want to lose weight. It came up in a separate thread about the fat acceptance movement, which tends to decry "fat shaming", and the OP here began this discussion so as not to derail the other thread.

Yes that was where I was coming from with the thread but I appreciate all the discussion around both the verb and noun definition.

It is interesting how people react differently.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »

Yes that was where I was coming from with the thread but I appreciate all the discussion around both the verb and noun definition.

It is interesting how people react differently.

Not surprising to me. Shame is used by some to manipulate others, sometimes in very unhealthy ways. I lost a loved one, he was shamed to death. That wasn't the outcome his father imagined, when he used shame to manipulate his son.
  • melbmeg
    melbmeg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think shame can help keep people slimmer at a societal level. Some societies have a very low tolerance for and accommodation of surplus fat, and I suspect that does impact how much people weigh. It is just one factor, but I think it would be a factor.

I remember shopping in a Paris boutique when I had a BMI of about 22, and over hearing the sales girls sniggering about how fat I was. And I had to take the largest size on offer. Same thing in Japan: if you are big you literally don't fit into seats or toilet cubicles, etc.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    melbmeg wrote: »
    I think shame can help keep people slimmer at a societal level. Some societies have a very low tolerance for and accommodation of surplus fat, and I suspect that does impact how much people weigh. It is just one factor, but I think it would be a factor.

I remember shopping in a Paris boutique when I had a BMI of about 22, and over hearing the sales girls sniggering about how fat I was. And I had to take the largest size on offer. Same thing in Japan: if you are big you literally don't fit into seats or toilet cubicles, etc.

Precisely. Yet somehow, here in the US, it's discrimination and "fat hate" to want to charge a person for two seats on an airplane, when they are so large that they actually do take up more than a single seat. Our priorities are nuts.
  • baLancedLif3
    baLancedLif3 Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It has a negative impact .. no matter how you put it!

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    melbmeg wrote: »

It's amazing how a little social pressure in the right areas can help. Here though being unhealthy and having type 2 diabetes is practically celebrated. I get not being overtly mean to people, but I do often think that it's gone too far.