May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• tamlyn1980
    tamlyn1980 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This challenge is awesome. Will hopefully keep me on track to getting 1000km in 2016. It's a mapmyfitness challenge I just joined. I need around 30km a week for the rest of the year to get the 1000km so I think I will make my May target 135km. This week so far I've done 27km. dequqeaxiijt.jpeg
  • perk1960
    perk1960 Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    3 of 25 miles completed
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn LOL catch up!
    @lporter229 I was going to say what @7lenny7 said, but you answered that. Glad you talked to the vet. I found with Macy until she got the concept of heel she would dart in front of me too. I would put her on a short leash, not one of those retractable things and hold it short so she would have to stay next to me. She's good now at staying where she belongs. She has also learned the retractable leash means she can go ahead and the short leash means stay with mommy. I guess the bottom line is once she'll heel all the time the problem will be solved. I'm sure you are way smart enough to know this, but keep an eye on her pads if you are a street runner, make sure they are staying healthy, I was amazed with Macy how quickly her pads would get "smooth", also the street is much hotter on their pads than our feet. I put musher's secret on her paws from time to time, it's like a waxy material and protects their pads.
    @elise4270 I'm sorry the boot is giving you a fit. Skip was in a boot for an entire cross country season and we did a few things, one is the high sock for sure, she wore a shoe on the other foot that matched the height of the boot the best it could to prevent the hip being different. BTW she ran almost a full 5K in the boot LOL At a meet she ran all over the course to watch her teammates, then hoped a fence during the awards. Hope you're feeling 100% soon. I also agree with DDmom0811, I would tell the doctor it's hurting your hip.
    @mobycarp - I'm going to use the term hypochondriac-level !!! I was thinking that when I was running this morning that I'm starting to run waiting for knee pain. Gotta mentally get out of that.
    @anabbee WTH what is with people!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks @skippygirlsmom!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2.66 mi walk
    5/2 - 30 min indoor cardio, 12 min lower body pilates
    5/3 - 3.1 mi run
    5/4 - rest day
    5/5 - 30 min indoor cardio, 15 min lower body pilates

Run goal: 3.1 of 45 miles
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 4m
    5/3 - 5m

5/4 - 6m

Distance to date: 15m
    Goal: 90m
    Revised Goal: 126m (11.9% complete)

After reviewing my training schedule for the San Diego Rock & Roll Half Marathon Jun 5th, I had to step up the goal by 40%. I want to ensure I'm ready.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @acorsaut89 That is such a bada** finish photo!

@Elise4270 That sucks about the boot being so painful! I've never worn one so I have no advice, just sympathy.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @acorsaut89 I love the determined look on your face, and the girl's behind you is looking like, "uhhhhhhh". lol
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @acorsaut89 I love the determined look on your face, and the girl's behind you is looking like, "uhhhhhhh". lol
    +1

@acorsaut89 you look like you're killing it! The girl behind you looks like she got lost and stumbled across the race.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @acorsaut89 you look determined, like you are going to get that finish line no matter what.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Last night I had an idea...I've asked each of my kids and my wife to come up with three songs to add to my playlist for my race next weekend. Anything they wanted...relaxing, upbeat, motivational, even smart-*kitten*. I'll put the playlist on shuffle and when their songs come up it will be a chance to think about them and what an awesome, beautiful family I have. I tend to do that when I run anyway, but this will be a cool trigger for it. It also be great motivation as I reach the later part of the race.

@7lenny7 I love this. BTW this kitten overruling cuss words is killing me LOL
    @acorsaut89 girl you don't look in pain, you look like a badass!!! I always look like I'm walking in my photos ha ha! I love your picture.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @acorsaut89 - That is a great finish line area photo! You definitely look determined! Believe it or not, finish line photos are pretty much ALWAYS terrible! Even if you think you have a big happy smile and are feeling on top of the world when you cross that finish line, when you see the photo it usually looks like you are literally dying! :lol: Oh, the images I could share! I wish I had them all archived here readily available. I should do that for future cases like these. :smile:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @acorsaut89 -What a great photo! And nobody is photogenic when running...at least you look badass, as others have already said!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    After 3 days of post-race rest (with a bit of light bike commuting, walking, and no-leg/pull buoy swimming mixed in), I finally met up with 2 friends at the track late this morning for a light 6 mile run. Got to do a bit of race recapping, but mostly just listened to their stories of prior Pittsburgh marathon antics and disasters (as they've probably run 100 marathons combined). Quads were sore, but no pain.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume)
    5/5 - 6 miles

Total: 32 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 148 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@vandinem - Pittsburgh course is relatively hilly for a big city marathon, still, most of the hills are after the 11 mile half/full split which makes it a tougher 2nd half, including a 210 foot climb from the birmingham bride up to the cathedral of learning and a nice 150 foot downhill along liberty (church brew works) from Bloomfield into dahntahn at mile 23 that destroys your quads. Very much looking forward to Chicago in October as I'd love to go sub-3 there.

@mobycarp - 95 seconds for my cutoff is pretty tight. Worst case, my qualifying time goes up by 5 minutes when I age up in the fall, and I'm running Chicago in October, which can help lock me into 2018. I think your 1919 second margin is pretty darn safe, unless they decide to race it with only 2000 participants next year.

@adrianchr92 - No toenails lost so far after this marathon. Still, I always race marathons in shoe sizes 1/2 bigger than usual as after an hour or so of running, my feet definitely swell up. I also look for shoe models with wider toe-boxes (as the asics nimbus/cumulus lines do that), and keep my laces pretty loose which seems to help. Lost maybe 2 or 3 small nails over the years (mostly ones with small fungus problems).

@juliet3455 - I had a pair of red 2XU compression sleeves in my amazon cart earlier last week (found them in my size for $20), but unlike my red asics ds trainers (as I already had a pair in yellow), I was a bit afraid of not knowing if the compression would be the right tightness. Having raced an ironman 70.3 in my zoot ones in 5 hours a few weeks back, I figured my black ones would match well enough.

@robotfood - Good luck with the marathon! Be sure to have fun at it.

@elise4270 - Hope for a speedy recovery. Taking off 3 days after the marathon before being able to resume running has been tough, that many weeks can't be easy

@stoshew71 - Congrds on the AG win/overall result!

@7lenny7 - Doing a ton of swimming for my ironman training. Just focus on form/technique at the start and the speed will eventually come.

@whatmerunning - Congrds on the verified distance PR and I'm sure it'll only get faster from here.

@louubelle16 - Boston keeps on mixing things up from year to year. Definitely lots of considerations a the race organizers end on how to keep the field happy but competitive.

@lporter299 - Very kind of you to accompany and support your friend for 26.2 miles. I definitely need to eat more bacon at races in the future.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Gonna have to try to catch up from the last few days later.

5/1 - Rest day after HM to finish April. Another ugly, rainy day.
    5/2 - 4.25 miles.
    5/3 - 3.1 miles. Quick 5k while my daughter had soccer practice.
    5/4 - 4.53 miles. Cool, pleasant morning run. Mostly base pace, but last mile tempo.
    5/5 - 4.95 miles on treadmill (Trek class).

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hmm...ticker doesn't seem to be adding my new miles.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I know! One of my friends when she saw it said the girl is looking at me like "uh, where did you come from? Why are you passing me? . . . stay in your lane" ha ha