May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options

April showers give way to MAY FLOWERS, right?
    Flower equals flour which makes dough which makes doughnuts (mmmmm donuts)
    ..but, I digress

In it for 55
    exercise.png
    • 01 - Mayday (no labor = no running)
    • 04 - May the Fourth be with you!
    • 05 - 6.6 miles Commuter run
    • 13 -
    • 16 -
    • 18 -
    • 23 -
    • 25 -
    • 28 -

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    c45bf3027cad941.gif

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into watches/trackers with GPS...
    Any thoughts on the Garmin Vivoactive HR? Amazon only has it available for preorder, so not a lot of reviews yet.
    I watched a few YouTube reviews and a comparison to Fitbit (I'm more familiar with the more basic Fitbits as several of my friends and myself use them regularly.) I also had a basic Polar until my dog chewed up the chest strap...
    I like that it can also be used as a daily tracker, so I could essentially ditch the Fitbit and not need to wear both.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Whenever I order shoes, they arrive right as I get home from my run! I sometimes wait a few hrs to see if they come so I can run in them. But they will show up like at 7pm. Or they show up on Monday. Usually my rest day. And I get to stare at them for 24hrs until my next run lol.

@Elise4270 Very sry about all the things you're going through. Not running makes me go insane. Thankfully, it seems that you won't be down for much longer. And I will admitt that I'd do the same thing with the boot.

I would recommend you to try out hiking before trying to run. It's tempting to go right back to training, but a week of hiking wouldn't hurt you're endurance. Get out and take some cool pics! Then before you know it, you'll be tearing up the roads / trails! ☺

5/5 - Rest / chill taper day. 2 days till Marathon! Energy level: 99999999999%

5/1 - Rest
    5/2 - 3.1 (6:52/mi)
    5/3 - Rest
    5/4 - 6.5 (7:18/mi)
    5/5 - Rest

May total: 9.6 / 185mi
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @ROBOTFOOD to make it worse, I'm pacing for my mom at a 5k on Sunday, so I probably won't get to try out the shoes until TUESDAY! the impatient side of me is really tempting me to just say the heck with it, bring them with on our trip and wear them on my long run on Sat....the smart side is telling me to bring 2 pairs of proven shoes, one for Sat, one for Sun.....ARGH!
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @acorsaut89 Look at you! I think this is an awesome picture!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    @ROBOTFOOD to make it worse, I'm pacing for my mom at a 5k on Sunday, so I probably won't get to try out the shoes until TUESDAY! the impatient side of me is really tempting me to just say the heck with it, bring them with on our trip and wear them on my long run on Sat....the smart side is telling me to bring 2 pairs of proven shoes, one for Sat, one for Sun.....ARGH!

If it was me, I would rock my race shoes for the 5k then I would lace up the new shoes for the long run. I like taking risks lol.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

If it was me, I would rock my race shoes for the 5k then I would lace up the new shoes for the long run. I like taking risks lol.

I might just do that. I have 2 pair of Nike Pegasus32 that are my speedwork/race shoes, and one of those pairs is coming with for Sunday. I might just bring the new shoes and go for it. It's the Ghost 8's that I ordered, so I'm "thinking" they are a safe bet.....GAH! I just want to wear them!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I might just do that. I have 2 pair of Nike Pegasus32 that are my speedwork/race shoes, and one of those pairs is coming with for Sunday. I might just bring the new shoes and go for it. It's the Ghost 8's that I ordered, so I'm "thinking" they are a safe bet.....GAH! I just want to wear them!

Hahahaha! Totally get this...happens every time it seems. FWIW, I LOVE Ghosts...just ordered some price-reduced 8's myself.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've been looking into watches/trackers with GPS...
    Any thoughts on the Garmin Vivoactive HR?
    I have the vivoactive - was a little disappointed when I opened it at Christmas, because I'd asked for the Forerunner, but I have LOVED the vivo. Yes, it includes a good step counter, so I have tossed the fitbit One, and use Garmin Connect regularly (along with MapMyRun.com and Strava).

I love that it's water-resistant, so it looks kinda awesome when I'm in the shower and I look down to see my soapy arm, and that black band showing! (yeah, I'm kinda weird) But it also tells me that I don't have to freak when I get really sweaty, or wind up in a rainy run. I wondered about the "it's actually brighter in the sun" (because my cell phone certainly ISN'T!), but it really is. I can read it more easily in the sun than when I'm driving home and try to read it in shadow in the car.

I thought I'd hate the HRM strap, but after a run or two, it's nothing to put it on - my only qualm now is that I'm a-feared I'm gonna have a no-tan line where the strap goes, since a bunch of my runs are shirtless ("No, I don't care that I don't have a beach body. What's your problem?" Right, @Anabbee?!). The built-in apps are really useful. It's also useful that the watch auto-pauses the app when I stop - but then again, I almost never stop so....

The GPS has been really good (at least, I almost never have drop-outs on my maps after a run) - I haven't tried the "return to start" function, so I can't comment on that. The worst thing I can say is that on a cloudy day, it might take as much as 30-60 seconds to connect to GPS. But usually, it's maybe 10 seconds.

In long, I've been really happy with it, and I highly recommend it.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options

Ya man. I vote for the Ghosts. I ran in the 7s yesterday. Felt great! Lot more cushion than my Kinvaras, but heavier. Which is Ok. Because I'm usually running slower that day. Drop is noticeable.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    zoe2434 wrote: »
    @acorsaut89 Look at you! I think this is an awesome picture!

Thanks :) It's always such a great feeling when I've finished but then see the photos and I'm like wait, no . . . I felt way better than that lol.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume)

:D
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Ya man. I vote for the Ghosts. I ran in the 7s yesterday. Felt great! Lot more cushion than my Kinvaras, but heavier. Which is Ok. Because I'm usually running slower that day. Drop is noticeable.
    Weight and drop are VERY similar to my Glycerin 13's, according to the website 12 vs. 10 drop and 10.3 vs 11.3 oz....and the ghosts are the lighter one
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Today was strength training day, so only 2.6 miles and a lot of weights. I also decided I need new running shirts because the old t-shirts I've been using up til now are now way too big and are flopping around all over the place. So I went to Walmart (because I'm po') and found Danskin workout tees for $4.96 each. SCORE.

exercise.png

May 30 can't get here soon enough... that's when registration opens for the zoo race!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @acorsaut89 I absolutely love that finish line pic. I'm officially jealous. SOON I shall be in that position. Just gotta keep pluggin'.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    Weight and drop are VERY similar to my Glycerin 13's, according to the website 12 vs. 10 drop and 10.3 vs 11.3 oz....and the ghosts are the lighter one

Should be no problem for you. Very similar shoes.

Saw this on the amazon page for Ghosts,
    "Float right past the competition, running so incredibly light and cushioned that you'll be hauntingly hard to catch in the newly updated Brooks Ghost 8 running shoes"..

Just reading that makes me want to buy more haha. I only have 38.6mi on my 7s. So the 8s will have to wait a bit.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Should be no problem for you. Very similar shoes.

Saw this on the amazon page for Ghosts,
    "Float right past the competition, running so incredibly light and cushioned that you'll be hauntingly hard to catch in the newly updated Brooks Ghost 8 running shoes"..

Just reading that makes me want to buy more haha. I only have 38.6mi on my 7s. So the 8s will have to wait a bit.

yup. I'm gonna risk it. That line is direct from the Brooks website, have to admit that's part of why I got them.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've been a huge fan of my Glycerine's for a couple years now, but I have worn my Ghosts to every half I have raced this year, FWIW.

I also wore a brand new pair of Ghosts on yesterday's long run. They were fine. Sure, I dragged *kitten* during that run, but not because of the shoes. I figured by the 3rd pair as long as they felt right putting them on then I should be good to go.

Since this is your first time with them though, it might be wise to save them for a normal run just in case something about them is not right with you. I can't imagine what that would be though, they feel very similar to the Glycerine in every way except that it seems easier to run in them. :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I've been a huge fan of my Glycerine's for a couple years now, but I have worn my Ghosts to every half I have raced this year, FWIW.

Deciding which shoes to wear when I do my half in July is going to be interesting...I love ALL my shoes.