May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    pearlica wrote: »
    I've caught my kids cold and my favorite 10k of the year is on Sunday...I'm throwing myself a big pity party here. Sore throat, head ache and runny nose so far. I will still run it no matter what...but I really wanted to hit it hard and I'm bummed. So here's my dilemma: today is supposed to be an easy 4 miles. Last run before the race. Yesterday I took a rest day. Do I skip today's too? that would be 3 rest days in a row!! I'm the type that totally gets twitchy if I go 2 days without a run! Or should I just plod along to stay loose and then rest tomorrow before the race...I've always been told to hold off from running if its in your chest or you have a fever, but head colds are ok to run through. Not sure what to do yet.

I would skip today's run. Hope you feel better.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Foot is feeling totally better today. Starting to think the problem is/was running more than 2 days in a row not giving me enough. Thinking about cutting out my wednesday runs and doing cross training on that day, to get some cardio in but not kill my foot as much. Today is a rest day, and I think that's making a difference too. Revamped schedule will be:

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: HM training plan run
    Wednesday: 30-45 Crosstraining
    Thursday: HM training plan: speed/stamina work
    Friday: Rest!
    Sat: HM training plan Long Run
    Sun: HM training plan recovery run.

I should still actually be able to make my mileage goal, even with the cutback, and I figure my body will appreciate me for it. Thinking I'll still wake up early on Wed, but do Kettlebells or some other cardio Cross training.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Foot is feeling totally better today. Starting to think the problem is/was running more than 2 days in a row not giving me enough. Thinking about cutting out my wednesday runs and doing cross training on that day, to get some cardio in but not kill my foot as much. Today is a rest day, and I think that's making a difference too. Revamped schedule will be:

I should still actually be able to make my mileage goal, even with the cutback, and I figure my body will appreciate me for it. Thinking I'll still wake up early on Wed, but do Kettlebells or some other cardio Cross training.
    Sounds like a good plan! It can take time to adapt to more running days.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Thanks @WhatMeRunning I think the problem is that I added miles per run AND another day. I'll scale back the days and keep with the mileage, that seemed to work well for me before...just got too gung ho about running.....and having a dedicated core day would probably be a good idea anyway, it'll help my cardio and my running form getting it in.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options

Looks pretty good. But personally, I like a rest day or hike the day after a long run (usually Sun for me). I just feel way better for my next run. Usually Tuesday.

Keep up the good work!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Looks pretty good. But personally, I like a rest day or hike the day after a long run (usually Sun for me). I just feel way better for my next run. Usually Tuesday.

Keep up the good work!
    I found, for me, that an easy recovery run at like 11:45/mile keeps my legs loose. It's cool reading about everyone's different training, really reinforces the need for adapting all training to suit the individual.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Keep up the good work!
    I found, for me, that an easy recovery run at like 11:45/mile keeps my legs loose. It's cool reading about everyone's different training, really reinforces the need for adapting all training to suit the individual.
    I've found I'm pretty much the same way. While my run the day after a long run is a bit stiff on that first mile as long as I take it easy I feel a lot better by the end of that recovery run and am actually better the next day than if I had rested that day instead. I do feel like I need a rest day ahead of my longest run of the week though. While I do not have a rest day ahead of my mid-week long run I can push through that one without too much issue normally. Here's what my current schedule is (I am base building so no speedwork):

Mon: 6 mile easy
    Tue: 6 mile easy (I tend to be pretty fast on this run though)
    Wed: 10 mile mid-week long run
    Thu: 6 mile easy
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 14 mile long run
    Sun: 6 mile easy (maybe walk/run on first mile to loosen up)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I've found I'm pretty much the same way. While my run the day after a long run is a bit stiff on that first mile as long as I take it easy I feel a lot better by the end of that recovery run and am actually better the next day than if I had rested that day instead. I do feel like I need a rest day ahead of my longest run of the week though. While I do not have a rest day ahead of my mid-week long run I can push through that one without too much issue normally.
    Not to a midweek long run for me yet, but That's exactly how it is for me. A recovery run after the long run makes me feel better, but I NEED a rest day before Long Run day....hence today's rest before tomorrow's planned 8 miler.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options

Keep up the good work!
    I've found I'm pretty much the same way. While my run the day after a long run is a bit stiff on that first mile as long as I take it easy I feel a lot better by the end of that recovery run and am actually better the next day than if I had rested that day instead. I do feel like I need a rest day ahead of my longest run of the week though. While I do not have a rest day ahead of my mid-week long run I can push through that one without too much issue normally.

We're all so different! Haha. This week was a taper wk. So pretty lazy. But I like Running Tue, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun. Soon I will be back to a 6 day schedule. With Sun or Mon as my rest day.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    First run with new HR monitor. As expected my HR stays pretty high even at what I consider a slow pace. I had planned on 5 miles but quit at 4 bc it was a slight incline the rest of the way and that was sending my HR to 186. It's no wonder I feel lightheaded and pretty much near death after running real hills and also dealing with the heat. The next 4 months is pretty much going to be low and slow mileage for me, trying to see if I can get to a point by fall/winter where I can run faster and not have every run maxing out my HR. It was a good run though. Started getting a little hot in the second half.

dhmw8nxqrrxa.png
    xtst8yaipubx.png
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    Sorry that's so large :-/
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    First run with new HR monitor. As expected my HR stays pretty high even at what I consider a slow pace. I had planned on 5 miles but quit at 4 bc it was a slight incline the rest of the way and that was sending my HR to 186. It's no wonder I feel lightheaded and pretty much near death after running real hills and also dealing with the heat. The next 4 months is pretty much going to be low and slow mileage for me, trying to see if I can get to a point by fall/winter where I can run faster and not have every run maxing out my HR. It was a good run though. Started getting a little hot in the second half.

dhmw8nxqrrxa.png
    xtst8yaipubx.png

Have you checked your pulse against your HRM? Mine seems high too, but I can't verify it. I emailed Garmin over it and got some suggestions. Here's my last HRM run. I just run by feel now. Still a lot of walking. I'll run 0.5 miles, walk 0.05-0.1.

Screenshot_20160506-124142_zpsydf5vch2.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @greenolivetree looks like you're pushing way too hard. When My HR is that high, It's been when I've run my PR 5k and 10K times.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

It's fine on mobile :smiley:

Edit- and if it's hot/warm out, my HR is always higher. How's your iron?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My run yesterday was definitely a bad idea, I couldn't get very far without coughing or needing a drink (to prevent coughing) so my breathing was all over the place. I even ended up with a stitch for goodness sake... I haven't had one since I was at school! But hey, 2.40 slow, horrendous miles are better than 0, and I did say there would be no excuses this month so I'm glad I made it out there, even if it really wasn't a good idea.

I've called it a day until my half on Sunday now though (I wouldn't have run anyway, but I won't even cross-train), I just need to see off this cough and cold so I can at least run the entire thing. A PB is out of the question, but so is a DNS!

2nd May - 3.06 miles
    3-4th May - poorlysick
    5th May - 2.40 miles

MTD - 5.46/70 miles

Upcoming races:
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Good call taking the day off @louubelle16! Taking a day off is HARD, and you did it! Good luck at your half on Sunday!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    5/1...Rest
    5/2...4.25 @ 12:22 on the hilly lake trail
    5/3...3.0 @ 13:00 (this is really 2.0 @ 12:00 and 1.0 walking) on the treadmill and strength training day
    5/4...4.25 @ 11:51 (most of it was around 11:30, but mile 4 is a brutal hill) on the neighborhood rail trail
    5/5...2 miles walking. I'm not counting it, but thought I'd throw it in here as my "active rest" day
    5/6...5.0 @ 11:21 on the treadmill, since it's raining pairs of cats and dogs straight onto the ark...

Completed races:
    1/18 MLK 8K, Burke, VA 56:14
    2/22 Princess Half, Orlando FL, 2:49:33
    4/23 Healthy Strides Community 10K, Burke, VA 1:14:29
    4/30 Run for the Children 8K, Fairfax, VA 56:35

Upcoming races:
    5/21 RunFitKidz 5K, Springfield, VA (maybe--if recovered enough from surgery)
    6/12 Celebrate Fairfax 5K, Fairfax, VA
    7/4 Freedom 5K, Fairfax VA
    9/5 Great American 5K, Fairfax, VA
    Either Hemlock Half or Divas Half in September
    10/30 MCM 10K, Washington, DC
    11/6 The Parks 10K, Washington, DC
    11/19 Potomac River Half, Carderock, MD

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• greenolivetree
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

It's fine on mobile :smiley:

Edit- and if it's hot/warm out, my HR is always higher. How's your iron?

No clue about my iron. My resting heart rate is 55. But just walking puts me at 120 and walking uphill 140. I've been working out for years and running doesn't feel that hard? Except running uphill kicks my butt. You'd think I would've dropped dead running 8 min miles if my heart rate is this high running slow. Lol.