edited May 2016
    Options
    5/1 - 2 mi
    5/4 - 2 mi
    5/7 - 2 mi
    5/8 - 2 mi
    5/9 - 2 mi

10 down 20 to go.

Still plugging away at the Week 5 Day 3 20 minutes nonstop run.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    5/1...Rest
    5/2...4.25 @ 12:22 on the hilly lake trail
    5/3...3.0 @ 13:00 (this is really 2.0 @ 12:00 and 1.0 walking) on the treadmill and strength training day
    5/4...4.25 @ 11:51 (most of it was around 11:30, but mile 4 is a brutal hill) on the neighborhood rail trail
    5/5...2 miles walking. I'm not counting it, but thought I'd throw it in here as my "active rest" day
    5/6...5.0 @ 11:21 on the treadmill, since it's raining pairs of cats and dogs straight onto the ark...
    5/7-8... Rest/life days
    5/9...5.5 @ 12:40, nice and easy on the lake trail
    5/10...2.0 @ 11:55 on the dreadmill, and strength training

Completed races:
    1/18 MLK 8K, Burke, VA 56:14
    2/22 Princess Half, Orlando FL, 2:49:33
    4/23 Healthy Strides Community 10K, Burke, VA 1:14:29
    4/30 Run for the Children 8K, Fairfax, VA 56:35

Upcoming races:
    5/21 RunFitKidz 5K, Springfield, VA (maybe--if recovered enough from surgery)
    6/12 Celebrate Fairfax 5K, Fairfax, VA
    7/4 Freedom 5K, Fairfax VA
    9/5 Great American 5K, Fairfax, VA
    Either Hemlock Half or Divas Half in September
    10/30 MCM 10K, Washington, DC
    11/6 The Parks 10K, Washington, DC
    11/19 Potomac River Half, Carderock, MD

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    It was going to be warm and humid today and I was actually EXCITED about that! :trollface: I've been waiting for some challenging running weather because for some crazy reason I believe this will help prepare me for the upcoming horror of July and August heat and humidity. This was the best challenge yet. :smile: It was 67 degrees F at the start and 73 degrees at the end of the 6 mile run with 80% humidity. Things didn't really seem so bad until the last couple miles and I noticed I was pretty slow on mile 5 which was mostly in the direct sun so I think that was a factor in that. A great run otherwise though!

I have to go to a 2:00 call but will try and catch up on today's posts afterwards. :smile:

5/1 - 13.1 miles
    5/2 - 6 miles
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 9 miles
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/6 - Rest
    5/7 - 10.5 miles
    5/8 - 10.5 miles
    5/9 - 6 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles

73.1/200 miles

exercise.png

2016 races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 new PR
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,127 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    04/05 4 miles
    05/05 2 miles
    09/05 4 miles
    10/05 4 miles phew the heat makes it tuffer!

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    Options
    @ceciliaslater - I agree with @Elise4270. It sounds like an injury, even if minor. Rest is always a good idea, and life/work seems to be affording you a convenient excuse to not run. Because we all know how nearly impossible it is to not run due to injury. If I lost a toe, I would probably find a way to run. But if work was busy enough for just long enough to grow a new toe, that might convince me to wait.

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Congrats on your first HM @_nikkiwolf_ It seems like the predictor knew better.
    @Stoshew71 Yes, maybe I should have believed it - but you know how most of these predictors always come with the disclaimer that they only work if you are adequately prepared for the distance (because running a 30 minute 5k doesn't automatically mean that you can run a 5 hour marathon if you didn't train for it)? I guess I just have a really hard time thinking of myself as someone who might actually be "adequately trained" for something like a half-marathon race! Might have to run a few more of them before I can wrap my mind around the idea ;-)

@WhatMeRunning Lol, I can't believe you are excited about warm and humind weather! You are welcome to have my share of that whenever you want ;)

@ddmom0811 He, at least you didn't sing 'I must go and buy more more more more more more running shoes.' :p

@4leighbee Would you get a discount on running gear if you work the the shoe store? Cause that might totally be worth it! Of course, more work means less time to run. Tough decision!

@MobyCarp Best of luck for your meeting with the PT, hope all will be better soon!

@moyer566 Wow, somehow I nearly missed this - congratulations on finishing your half, great job!

@louubelle16 Ugh, lost toenails suck! Okay, I only lost one once - but that was half a year ago, and it took until now until it's almost grown completely back (2-4 more weeks until I can finally clip it again, I think).
    As far as I remember, touching it/wearing shoes only hurt for a couple of days. I walked barefoot at home, sandals with socks for shopping etc (awefull, I know! But they were black sandals with black socks, and very long Jeans to hide it as much as possible), and my ugly safety shoes with nice, roomy, steel-padded toeboy at work - even on days where I spent all the time at the desk.
    And after a couple of days you get this weird skin-toenail-mix thing on your toe, and it doesn't hurt any more. It just looks really weird - but at least it doesn't keep you from running ^^
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Just realised I didn't update my ticker in a while - so here's my summary for last weeks training

2.05.2016 YAYOG week 1, day 3
    3.05.2016 6.5 km
    4.05.2016 5.0 km with a bit of hills
    5.05.2016 10.6 km
    6.05.2016 8.5 km at planned race pace
    7.05.2016 Rest day (should've been YAYOG w1d4, but killing my legs the day before the half seemed stupid)
    8.05.2016 Race day - 21.3 km ! And 4.1 km "recovery" in the evening.
    ---
    55.8 km for the week

Yes, I actually did another run the same day as the race. I knew I probably wouldn't get a chance to run on Monday, and I was already starting to feel a bit stiff in the evening, so somehow I came up with the idea that 12 hours after finishing would be a perfect time for a nice easy run. "Easy" is definitely not what it was when I took the first few steps! I realised I had a sore spot in my back where my fuel belt must have chafed (which it never did before), and another spot under my left armpit where the sports bra chafed (which it also never did before). Oh, and my feet hurt, and my calves hurt, and my knees hurt, ... - you get the picture! Miraculously enough, after 10 minutes, all but the chafe-aches went away, and it was a rather pleasant, short and slow night run. I was really tempted to stay out longer to enjoy the lovely cool breeze, but in the end common sense won out, and I kept it short.

After that, I didn't feel any soreness at all either biking to work on Monday nor biking and running today. Kinda weird, not what I expected, but I'm not complaining!

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4
    5/7 REST DAY << Sick +daughter's birthday party
    5/8 REST DAY
    5/9 9 miles - 40.4 << Madkin Mountain (634 ft elev gain)
    5/9 4 miles - 44.4 << Daily Double
    5/10 8.3 miles - 52.7
    5/10 4 miles 56.7 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    May 1 - 17 km run.
    May 3 - Light parkour 2 km run.
    May 5 - 8 km slow & gym.
    May 6 - 7.5 km slow & yoga.
    May 7 - skipped bike ride.
    May 8 - 19.2 km mixed. 6 km hike.
    May 9 - Rest
    May 10 - 8.3 km tempo
    Total 62 km goal 120 km.

Odd tempo run, the hill that kills me ... killed me. :neutral:

This week is a recovery week, no extra long run. Couple of 8s and an 11 and I'm done with my half marathon training. Then restart with the next cycle.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes, I actually did another run the same day as the race. I knew I probably wouldn't get a chance to run on Monday, and I was already starting to feel a bit stiff in the evening, so somehow I came up with the idea that 12 hours after finishing would be a perfect time for a nice easy run. "Easy" is definitely not what it was when I took the first few steps! I realised I had a sore spot in my back where my fuel belt must have chafed (which it never did before), and another spot under my left armpit where the sports bra chafed (which it also never did before). Oh, and my feet hurt, and my calves hurt, and my knees hurt, ... - you get the picture! Miraculously enough, after 10 minutes, all but the chafe-aches went away, and it was a rather pleasant, short and slow night run. I was really tempted to stay out longer to enjoy the lovely cool breeze, but in the end common sense won out, and I kept it short.

After that, I didn't feel any soreness at all either biking to work on Monday nor biking and running today. Kinda weird, not what I expected, but I'm not complaining!
    I've never tried running the same day as a race, but I find a run the next day really helps me recover. The first mile or so I go really, really slow trying not to push anything that feels sore or stiff, but at least move forward at whatever rate I can manage. After that first mile I'm limber again though and generally I can run the next day after that recovery run with pretty much no issues starting out. Granted, this is for HM distance. My experience with mobility after full marathons is quite different. It almost seems like being very mobile that day or the day afterwards is like asking for injury in that case! :open_mouth:
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    OH, and @EvgeniZyntx - Some time back you posted a graph from the Health tab on your sporttracks.mobi page. Thanks for doing that, I am LOVING that app! I have been tweaking future planned runs and comparing the estimated results on that health tab. It is eye opening!
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES.............TOTAL
    5/1....................REST................00.00
    5/2....................REST................00.00
    5/3.......................5.00.................5.00
    5/4.....................10.00...............15.00
    5/5.......................3.00...............18.00
    5/6....................REST................18.00
    5/7.....................12.00...............30.00
    5/8.......................6.00...............36.00
    5/9....................REST................36.00
    5/10..................REST................36.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    6/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    7/16: ColorRun --5k (with my 15 year old)(Pittsburgh, PA)
    7/17: Presque Isle Half-Marathon (Erie, PA) -- This is a maybe.. road races have too many people...
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA) -- This is also a maybe.. because people...
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I am thinking bout going back on my initial thoughts and running tomorrow. My reasoning being, With my assignment of 90-105 minute long run on Sat, I'll be over the 35% mark for miles with the anticipated 9 miles I'll get in on that run. If I do an easy 3 miler tomorrow, I'll be at 26 miles for the week, with the anticipated LR, and that keeps me (barely) under 35% total miles for my LR. Next week is a cutback week, so I feel Okay doing this, but was looking for some thoughts
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ not sure yet about a discount but that was definitely the idea. Less running ... uh oh. Wait - where else can I steal time from? #rethinking

exercise.png

just a couple TM miles this evening with my daughter - who ran a whole mile and is now eating a healthy dinner she made all by herself :)
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 4m
    5/3 - 5m
    5/4 - 6m
    5/5 - rest
    5/6 - 5m
    5/7 - 10m
    5/8 - rest

5/9 - 3.8m
    5/10 - 3.5m

Distance to date: 37.3m
    Goal: 126m (29.6% complete)

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    decided to add our 4.5 mile Sunday walk, because I was sore the next day ;)

ticker isn't updating though so I'll add it in the morning
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Running fewer miles the week of a race is tough, but necessary. And I am totally bummed that I can't do my 38 Mile Night Fun Run on June 4.... I forgot that it was my son's graduation that day. I felt like crap because I debated long and hard about asking him if he would mind me not being there. :/ Anyway, I am going to swap that race out for another 50k in Ohio in July... that will still give me three 50ks and a couple of HMs to get ready for October... but still, I can't believe I was seriously thinking about skipping his graduation for a race....
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    My husband suggested I put an orthotic in my shoes. And whaddya know, it helps.

There are 3 tests for posterior tibial tendonitis, I'm negative on all 3. I guess it still could be. But I'm incline to think that's not it. I suppose if I'm not better by the 15th-ish I'll visit a new doc. That's 3 full weeks from the half, when it became a problem.

Glad to be able to do something now. I spent the last 2 hours tromping back and forth up and down the back yard to the ravine dumping brush and large cedar logs. Hotness.

So maybe I'll even be able to run this weekend with this insert.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am thinking bout going back on my initial thoughts and running tomorrow. My reasoning being, With my assignment of 90-105 minute long run on Sat, I'll be over the 35% mark for miles with the anticipated 9 miles I'll get in on that run. If I do an easy 3 miler tomorrow, I'll be at 26 miles for the week, with the anticipated LR, and that keeps me (barely) under 35% total miles for my LR. Next week is a cutback week, so I feel Okay doing this, but was looking for some thoughts
    If you feel you can run 9 miles on Saturday then I say go for it. That is a long way if you haven't run that far before, I recall breaking the 8 mile barrier was a little tough.

You are not pushing that 35% rule too hard and you are starting out at a lower mileage base which can make long runs pretty hard to achieve. You have to go at least 90 minutes for it to really be an effective long run from a training perspective.

You may need to replot your runs and distance to make sure you can afford one good long run in weekly of 90+ minutes.

That is if I'm understanding it all correctly, I might not be. :smile: The key thing you may need to ask is if you are comfortable with trying 9 miles. I recall being quite surprised transitioning from 10k distances to half marathon distances. That was when other factors like nutrition finally started coming into play for me and when I really started looking into how to run. You are well ahead of all that though...but will still have to push into those distances. The good news is...you'll break those barriers so fast you won't even remember how tough they were for the very short time (relatively) they challenged you. :smile:
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    @Elise4270 - YAY!!!! :smiley::smiley::smiley: I hope that is the trick!!!