May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Damn Finn.... you are so far north you must be at least 25% Canuck....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....I'm closer to Canada than most major cities in the state.
    @MNLittleFinn That means you should head North of the Line and run some HM's in Canada. With the exchange rate it will seem dirt cheap, unless you hit a community that is hosting a major conference at the same time.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    1 May – 16.1 km Distance PB
    3 May – 8.1 km
    5 May – 10.1 km
    7 May – 5 km parkrun PB by 48 seconds! 27:47
    8 May – 8.4 km Mother’s Day Classic
    10 May – 10 km
    12 May – 10.1 km
    13 May – 7 km
    14 May – climbed a mountain, 30,000 steps but no running
    15 May – 15 km PB!

Total: 89.8 km (55.8 miles)
    Goal: 150 km (93 miles)

Saturday afternoon I climbed a mountain, and saw this guy:

0CAA2161-DCD4-4467-A2B0-2769820BE105_zpstsnyvqky.jpg

1B5275E9-C793-44A4-BEF4-BA28BFBEA40A_zpsx2earwxx.jpg

24F03C5E-B09A-4BA5-827A-78222AC42317_zpsbx88pwan.jpg

He seemed as interested in us as we were in him.

Then this morning, my legs felt fine after the climb. Fired up by lots of friends doing events this weekend, I managed to run a 15 km PB!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @PoppetsMaster - that mud sounded awful and then when I saw the picture of it, it was worse than you described. I don't think I could stand that in my shoes for that long. Great pics though!
    @Orphia - how cute!
    @kristinegift - finishing up masters is a little overwhelming. Especially if you are going to start working afterwards. Sounds like you just need a little break. You'll be back!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Got in a nice easy run this evening once the temperature dropped back to a normal range. Planning on doing another 12 miles tomorrow night to get me to the 80 mile mark, and should be fine doing 2-50 mile weeks to finish off the month once I'm back up north Monday. Not sure what plan to put on the calendar for the October Chicago marathon (25 weeks out), as I'd like to do at least as well as my last marathon to lock in 2018 BQ but will need to make sure I'm giving myself enough recovery time as I'll be ramping up my swimming/biking for a full Ironman in November.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 15 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 3 miles
    5/12 - 2 miles
    5/13 - 4.5 miles
    5/14 - 6 miles

Total: 68.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 111.5 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@whatmerunning - congrads on the PR. I suspect you have a sub-2 in the tank if you consistently keep up your mileage. Might be worth registering for a 5K then going all out for the race to gauge your upside (via the daniels vo2max calculator, or macmillan calculator). When I was losing weight I had a really hard time figuring out my pacing strategies at first, as my HM times went from a 2:30 to a 2:10 to a 1:47 within the span of about 10 months/while losing about 40lb. I didn't really think to go for the 1:47 until I tried some shorter distance sprints and did some estimating to give me the confidence to just go for it.

@poppetsmaster - Nice 50K medal! Hope you are recovering OK.

@9voice9 - Started training for my first 5K back in November 2012 at 250lb. Slowly took off about 0.5 to 0.7lb/week over the course of 3 years (lost 10 in 2012, 25 in 2013, 40 in 2014, then 20 in 2015), plateaued for about 6 months around 165lb, then shaved another 10lb this year going into my marathon at 158lb. I was very religious about logging everything during 2013-2015, but have been a bit religious now that I'm in maintenance mode. I don't do cheat days, but haven't been logging as often during the last 6 months, and will just put in a 3-4 hour bike/run/swim day in order to enjoy a 4000 calorie day without too much guilt. Still, now that I've gotten (mostly) away from processed foods/flour/HFCS and mostly just stick with proteins, whole grains, and fruits/vegetables, my body is pretty good about letting me know when I'm full as it is pretty hard to binge on whole wheat bread whereas your body won't let you know if you've consumed enough calories of HFCS sweetened sodas, over-processed potato chips, and white flour dough-based pizza.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,413 Member
    Options
    Traveling/work are really kicking my butt - I am exhausted and have yet another trip starting tomorrow. I did manage to get in a decent 8 miles today but trying to get a treadmill run in at the hotel has only been moderately successful. I miss keeping up with all of you and all the running and racing excitement!

I did get my She Power virtual race kit and I am excited to get that one planned and done in late June! I love the shirt(s) and the medal and can't wait to earn it!

Hoping to be back here following all the goings on late this next week - in the meantime be as good as you can :tongue:

Date..........Miles.........Total
    05/01.......0.00..........0.00
    05/02.......5.16..........5.16 - + Agility
    05/03.......0.00..........5.16 - Dallas
    05/04.......4.25..........9.41
    05/05.......0.00..........9.41 - Home
    05/06.......0.00..........9.41
    05/07.....10.03........19.44
    05/08.......2.50........21.94 - Dog beach run
    05/09.......2.00........23.94 - Dallas
    05/10.......4.31........28.25
    05/11.......0.00........28.25 - Home
    05/12.......4.07........32.32 - + Strength Training
    05/13.......0.00........32.32
    05/14.......8.32........40.64

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    06/25/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    09/xx/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    xx/xx/xx - Nike Women's Half Marathon, Los Angeles
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1-4.12 miles
    5/2- Rest
    5/3- 5.01 miles
    5/4- 3.12 miles
    5/5- 5.1
    5/6- rest
    5/7- 8.44
    4/8-3.11
    4/9-REST much needed REST
    4/10- 5.1
    4/11-4.1
    5/12- 5.11
    5/13- Rest
    5/14- 10.02
    5/15- 4.1

Total 57.73/100

Notes: Today's assignment was 30m-45m at E. I ended up running for about 48m, but it was a very easy pace, and my legs feel much better after it, making for a great recovery run after yesterday's Fast Finish Long Run. Looking forward to tomorrow's rest day!
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/5: 8.1 Miles
    3/5: 5.0 Miles
    5/5: 6.0 Miles
    7/5: 9.0 Miles
    10/5: 5.0 Miles
    12/5: 3.8 Miles
    13/5: 3.7 Miles
    15/5: 13.1 Miles

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    5/1: 26.2 miles (26.5 according to Garmin!)
    5/2: Marathon recovery day
    5/3: More marathon recovery
    5/4: 3.5 miles with Pacers Wed squad
    5/5: 3.5 miles with Thursday crew
    5/6: Rest day
    5/7: 6.2 miles with Saturday RAP crew
    5/8: 10 miles solo
    5/9: 4 miles with Monday coffee crew
    5/10: Rest
    5/11: Lazy day
    5/12: 4.5 miles (am), 7.3 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    5/13: Rest day
    5/14: Lazy day
    5/15: 2 miles + 10 miles

I ran 2 miles to the 5k I was volunteering at this morning, and then planned to do 13.5 afterward. But I cut it short at 10 for a multitude of reasons: a) Around mile 5, my heart wasn't in it anymore and then b) GI distress and then c) my left calf felt weird, and that was the straw that broke this camel's back. Still it's a 12 mile day and it was gorgeous outside, so I'm not gonna complain.

But I am definitely going to take a second spring marathon off the table. I wanted to do Vermont City in 2 weeks to try to make another solid BQ attempt, but the way I've been feeling about running lately... yeah, that's not going to happen. I think I'm going to keep my mileage low for another week or two, low pressure running (I even took the vibrate alert off my watch so I don't have mile by mile splits, which helps keep the pace easy by feel), when I want and as far as I want. I've been seriously underestimating the toll of the stress of finishing my degree/finding a job/needing to find housing/needing to move... it's really hectic in this ol' brain of mine! And it's all the worst kind of stress, the WAIT AND SEE kind. Ugh!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    5/15: Princeton 5k << Volunteering, not racing
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: a fourth of july race somewhere!
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Mathsrunner great run!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I'm so catching up on posts.

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend.

@poppetmaster4 best race report - congrats I love the medal. Your report reminded me of what I say to Skip before all her races "be good, be fast, be gone" short and to the point. Great mud!
    @whatmerunning woohoo!!! awesome PR!!!
    @elise4270 sorry about the pup I'll keep good thoughts on treatment
    @shanaber I have to sign up for the She Power
    @greenolivetree who is the knee?
    @leighbee awesome picture
    @5beautifuldays how are you feeling?
    @MNlittlefinn nice long run
    @ddmom0811 and @ceciliaslater ha ha yep that's me sitting with a cat on my head LOL
    @mobycarp sorry to hear about the hip how are you?
    @kristinegift hang in there, what you feel is normal you'll get your mojo back!

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - rest day
    5/4 - 6 miles
    5/5 - 5 miles
    5/6 - rest day
    5/7 - 5 miles
    5/8 - trip to Nashville :smiley:
    5/9 - 5 miles
    5/10 - family day
    5/11 - 5 miles
    5/12 - 5 miles
    5/13 - family leaving I'm sad day
    5/14 - 4 miles (5K and 1 mile warm up)
    5/15 - 6 miles

50 of 100 miles

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom great run today, and awesome race yesterday!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I explored new trails with a friend by the rivah in Richmond this morning, followed by $1 mimosas at an Irish pub. Not half bad. ;)

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Another 5k to end the week and 4 strides. I know they aren't supposed to be done at maximum but I wanted to see how fast I can get in 20 seconds. Did a little over 100 meters and my top speed was 2:35 min/km. Haha that's a 4:09 minute mile. For about 5 seconds. Now if I could only keep that speed for at least a 5k....

..Date.....Distance
    May 01 - rest
    May 02 - 4.1 km
    May 03 - rest
    May 04 - rest
    May 05 - 5 km
    May 06 - rest
    May 07 - 4.1 km
    May 08 - 5.8 km
    May 09 - 4.1 km
    May 10 - rest
    May 11 - 5 km
    May 12 - 4.1 km
    May 13 - rest
    May 14 - 7.5 km split in 2 parts but it still counts
    May 15 - 5.7 km

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    ??/??: VeterRUN 6.7k
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Today was supposed to just be a 6 mile recovery run, but I cut it short at 4 miles. I felt fine and could have done 6 but a little before mile 4 my Garmin low battery alert came up and about that same time nature started calling. I figured since I might not get the record of 6 miles and the last two ahead of a down/recovery week aren't going to make much difference that I would call it a day and go home. :smile:

5/1 - 13.1 miles
    5/2 - 6 miles
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 9 miles
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/6 - Rest
    5/7 - 10.5 miles
    5/8 - 10.5 miles
    5/9 - 6 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 10 miles
    5/12 - 6 miles
    5/13 - Rest
    5/14 - 13.1 miles
    5/15 - 4 miles

106.2/200 miles

exercise.png

2016 races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 new PR
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS) 2:17:38.4 new PR
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Good planning @WhatMeRunning Cut bak week starts for me this week too. Not sure what I'm going to do with myself running less mileage, after getting used to building each week
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - Glad to hear you're playing it smarter than I did in marathon recovery. The runners that I know who took a second run at BQ a month after missing a BQ don't have a very good success record on the second attempt. One buddy tells me his PR marathon (and BQ for the 45-59 age group, at the time) was after he took a year off from running marathons. When he ran 10 marathons in 3 years, he had to age up to BQ.

I took a DNS for Lilac Run 10K today. Went to volunteer at 6:30, ended up handing out bibs and shirts for the 5K and 10K. Had some nice conversation with other runners, recognized some of the names on the bibs, and actually got to hand out 3 bibs without having to ask who the runners were. Guess I've been hanging around the running community a while.

This year, the races were run by the Lilac Festival people instead of by running people. They ran out of some sizes of shirts at early packet pick up, and told people they could exchange on race day. Minor difficulty; we had the same shirts to hand out that were available for early packet pickup. So we had Youth Large, Women's Large, Women's XL, Men's Small, and Men's Medium. If someone really needed a different size, we had to tell them to send an email to get one after the event. A lot of runners tested the sizes we had and took something today, and everyone was really nice about it; but there it is.

After the 10K started, I was done. Walked back toward my car, past the post-race food. Would have liked a cup of coffee at that point, but the 5K runners had used all the cups the organizers had. I didn't hang around to see the 10K runners arrive to coffee with no cups.

Came home, brewed my own coffee, and looked up the results. Overall winners of the 5K and 10K are my teammates. Looks like the team did well at several levels. Top 2 guys in my age group are my team members. If I'd been healthy, I would have been competitive with the guy who finished first and ahead of the guy who finished second, i.e. I would have improved the supervet team results for the USATF Niagara 10K Championship even if I didn't win the age group. Sigh. Hopefully I'll be healthy for some USATF national events later this year.

Meanwhile, I can feel that the exercises the PT gave me are helping; I'm just not to the point where running any distance is a good idea yet. Maybe next week I'll get an estimate on how long it will take, based on progress from the initial visit Friday.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to keep my mileage low for another week or two, low pressure running (I even took the vibrate alert off my watch so I don't have mile by mile splits, which helps keep the pace easy by feel), when I want and as far as I want. I've been seriously underestimating the toll of the stress of finishing my degree/finding a job/needing to find housing/needing to move... it's really hectic in this ol' brain of mine! And it's all the worst kind of stress, the WAIT AND SEE kind. Ugh!
    Good idea. As exciting as graduating is, it is still a very stressful time ... Whether you know what you are doing afterwards or not. Both my kids went through it. One had a job lined up, the other did not. Both were stressed at the end. Can't wait to hear where you end up! :smiley:

Definitely need a couple rest days myself. Only had about 4 hours sleep last night as got back from prom chaperoning after 1. My cycling friends had a long day planned (55), but when I told them I couldn't do it they said "just come along and we will do a short ride and then next weekend we will go long"! Okay, but I was really tired Took a long nap afterwards, so feeling better. No running tomorrow but I forgot I have strength training planned. May take a full rest day Tuesday.

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling
    5/9 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/10 - 5 miles - fartleks
    5/11 - 25 miles cycling
    5/12 - 5 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles
    5/14 - 34 miles cycling
    5/15 - 27 miles cycling

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @shanaber I had a look at the She Power race - the virtual race kit swag looks awesome. Definitely something you can look forward to wearing!

@Orphia Wow, the photos are so cool! Foregive my cluelessness - but that's a wallaby, isn't it? Or something else? And a 15 km PB the day after climbing a mountain, great job!

@kristinegift I know that kind of stress you are talking about with the whole finishing/get a new job/find apartment/move stuff - I went though that last year. My running dropped down really low during that time. Which, looking back, I don't understand at all, because running is usually a great way for me to deal with stress, but somehow it seems I switched to reading romance novels in the bath tub for relaxation for a while instead... *ahem* Guess what I want to say is you've deserved a time-off, and after a little break you'll suddenly enjoy running again and won't remember anymore how you could ever not have felt like it!

@MobyCarp Glad to hear that the PT exercises are helping; I hope the estimate you get next week will be a positive one!

---

I only went out for my long run yesterday in the afternoon - before, I was lying in wait for the delivery guy, who brought my new Sauconys. As I went out, I caught the last 5 minutes of some cool, soft drizzling rain. And then the sun came out, and it got first humid, and then hot. Well, not really hot, a little under 20°C(~70°F), but somehow, it felt really tough to be out there. Especially since I was sore enough from Fridays strength workout that I was already moaning and cursing every time I stood up or sat down since Saturday morning ^^ As usually, I picked my route to have the uphill parts first and downhill on the way back, so I actually felt much better during the last 5k of the run, and nearly would have kept on going. But in the end I decided to be good and stick to my plans of a cutback/recovery week after my half marathon.

Those good recovery intentions were also the reason for me to be unfaithful to running today! It was supposed to be a no-running day, but the weather was absolutely lovely (sunny, but colder than yesterday), so I was itching to go out. In the end, I compromised by taking my bike for a ride instead. Usually, I only use it to get to work and back, and it felt kinda weird to be riding around in a long circle (26km) without the intent of going somewhere. Mostly it was nice, except for the part in the middle where I found myself on a mountain bike trail and found out that me & my road bike were not up to that kind of excitement; I had to walk for maybe a kilometre and got a nice collection of scratches and nettle burns on my legs. Without the bike, it would have been a nice trail, I might have to come back there for running!

e.t.a.: forgot the most important part! Here's a pic of the new shoes, Saucony Xodus 3. They are very ... pink. Like bright fluro pink. But for some weird reason, the black ones weren't on sale, only the pink ones, and for 30 Euro less I'm willing to deal with the color. I'll just have to get them covered in mud really fast, to avoid blinding people with all that bright pinkness - the picture doesn't really do them justice...
    dfhn9ib0od0m.jpg