May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    Did my first half. The time isn't impressive, but the fact that I actually DID the half IS impressive. Chip time of 3:36:41. I got in under the 4 hour cutoff and that makes me pretty happy. My body isn't happy at all. I'm going to HURT even more tomorrow and I'm going to love every minute!

woohoo!!!! Awesome!!! Great time.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    50 of 100 miles

@skippygirlsmom Way to be dead on track for your monthly goal!
    @Orphia Wow, the photos are so cool! Foregive my cluelessness - but that's a wallaby, isn't it? Or something else? And a 15 km PB the day after climbing a mountain, great job!

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks! You're spot on - it is a wallaby.

Saw another wallaby along the creek in town this morning. Amazing, the things you see when you're not on the couch. :smile:

@Virkati Many congrats for doing your first half! I hope to do one soon.

@9voice9 Wow, three events in one day! :open_mouth: Absolutely awesome. :smiley:
  • 19MotherRunner80
    19MotherRunner80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    got a few more in this weekend :)

exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May Goal: Run just a scootch more than last month...

5/1 deep mucking of the chicken coop and environs
    5/2 4.0
    5/3 life day
    5/4 7.54
    5/5 snorkel 3.5hours
    5/6 3.21
    5/7 4.05
    5/8 rest
    5/9 4.05
    5/10 meh
    5/11 4.54
    5/12 3.26
    5/13 6.05
    5/14 rest
    5/15 4.02

Total 40.72

Upcoming races:
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Bonked on my run tonight as my stomach wasn't cooperating from overeating at dinner, and my hips were pretty sore from spending 4 hours on the bike and pool earlier in the day. Going to get some rest tonight, then try a longer run again tomorrow once I'm back in the cooler north.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 15 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 3 miles
    5/12 - 2 miles
    5/13 - 4.5 miles
    5/14 - 6 miles
    5/15 - 3 miles

Total: 71.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 108.5 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@virkati - congrads on the half and nice seeing you back on the boards.

@WhatMeRunning - Hilly races definitely make things tougher. If you are looking for some HR guidance for a half, my max HR is 189, and my HR by mile for my HM PR was: 165, 168, 169, 170, 169, 167, 169, 170, 172, 172, 174, 174, 176, 179. Still, weather was perfect for that race.

@elise4270 - Definitely becoming a fan of red shoes.

@kristinegift - Racing 2 that close together (with all of the other stuff on the table) probably isn't super wise. Good luck finishing up school and starting the next chapter of your life!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Ok, finally all caught up :)

@WhatMeRunning I’m glad your calf calmed down an that it was just a case of the tapering crazies! Well done on an awesome PR, that’s an AMAZING jump!!

@5BeautifulDays I’m glad to hear your operation went well, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

@MobyCarp That’s bad news about your injury, but well done for going and volunteering anyway! I don’t think I could have done that, I think I would have been too busy sulking.

@MNLittleFinn Thanks, I definitely do have my groove back although I think being in a funk for a couple of weeks has broken the habit because I do have to talk myself into running, rather than it just being automatic like it was.

@skippygirlsmom Well done on the AG win, and congrats to Skip for smashing the race!

@kristinegift Your current mood towards running seems completely natural, given all you have going on in your life. It seems that all the things you’re doing require you to throw your whole mind into it and it’s no wonder something has had to give. I’m sure you’ve made the right decision not to try and BQ this side of the summer :)

@PoppetsMaster Well done on your race, that trail looks awesome!

@Virkati Well done on running your first HM!

As for my running, did a short 'long' run today. I had intended on it being a 10km but I got lost on the trails across the heath. But anyway, I enjoyed it and even did a 'fast finish' mile at 10km race pace.

2nd May - 3.06 miles
    3-4th May - poorlysick
    5th May - 2.40 miles
    8th May - 13.1 miles Hackney Half 2:05:24
    12th May - 3.27 miles
    14th May - 3.11 miles
    15th may - 5.08 miles

MTD - 30.02/70 miles

Upcoming races:
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, I knew I had a long race report, but didn't realize it was THAT long. Sorry. I also wanted to comment on many other folks but dang...it's nearly 2am and I need sleep (one of the lessons). Will have to do so later.

@Virkati, I'm very excited about your first HM!!! That is fantastic!

@WhatMeRunning @skippygirlsmom, @9voice9 way to go on your races!! @PoppetsMaster way to go on yours and I *love* your report. Polar opposite of mine.
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Congrats and thanks for the fantastic report! :smile:

exercise.png

It was cold and rainy this morning, but I decided to go for my run anyway. My HR was a lot better today (probably because there was no way for me to get very hot...) with most of my run spent in cardio rather than peak zone (according to my fitbit). Let's see how this develops once the weather changes...
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Awesome hi-carb sauce! Loved your race report.

Honey water? That sounds excellent. I also find it hard to drink when running (let alone eat), and avoid it if possible, but I'm probably going to get thirsty and low on energy on runs as I move from 16 km to longer distances.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Loved the race report. Congrats on finishing and for sharing the details. Even the TMI parts were enlightening and as you said, we're not normal here, so it was all good. The honey water is very intriguing to me. Do you think the molasses is important to the mix? I have local honey every day for allergies and would like to start using it in my water bottle when biking. But I don't like molasses. I guess I can try it both ways and see how it does.
    I completely understand the sleep issue. I have my goal of 7 hours sleep but it seems like I rarely get it. When school is out I can easily get 8-9 hours a night, my resting HR goes way down and my runs are awesome. But that's only during spring break, Christmas break and the summer. The rest of the year it's 5-6, and occasionally 7 hours sleep. I probably got even less when my kids were still at home.

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling
    5/9 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/10 - 5 miles - fartleks
    5/11 - 25 miles cycling
    5/12 - 5 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles
    5/14 - 34 miles cycling
    5/15 - 27 miles cycling
    5/16 - rest from cardio, but strength training

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    5/1: 26.2 miles (26.5 according to Garmin!)
    5/2: Marathon recovery day
    5/3: More marathon recovery
    5/4: 3.5 miles with Pacers Wed squad
    5/5: 3.5 miles with Thursday crew
    5/6: Rest day
    5/7: 6.2 miles with Saturday RAP crew
    5/8: 10 miles solo
    5/9: 4 miles with Monday coffee crew
    5/10: Rest
    5/11: Lazy day
    5/12: 4.5 miles (am), 7.3 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    5/13: Rest day
    5/14: Lazy day
    5/15: 2 miles + 10 miles
    5/16: 4 miles with Joe to Go crew

Small running crew for the Joe to Go run this morning... and chilly! It was less than 40*F to start! I was a bit "meh" to start, but I was feeling pretty good by the second half of the run. But I was definitely ready to be done at 4 miles. It was good though to get a run in to wake up my brain so I can study all day for my LAST FINAL (probably) EVER!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: a fourth of july race somewhere!
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Great race recap @7lenny7 !
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - Nice race report. I kept reading the middle and thinking, "This isn't going to end well." I'm glad you finished, and I hope your Achilles tendon doesn't flare up from having done the marathon. Now, don't do like I did and run a half a week later!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

May

1-0
    2-stretching
    3-stretching-knee is still sore
    4-yoga tonight/foam rolled
    5-nothing yet
    6-nothing
    7-13.36mi great race. super hard for me. but I did it and completed it. and now I've finished a half marathon race
    8-nothing
    9-nothing
    10-nothing-recovery takes too long
    11-yoga
    12-nothing
    13-yoga
    14=nothing
    15=nothing
    16-nothing yet.....

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17

May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half (got my gear-good stuff)
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Background for my question: My doctor (and me, TBH) is unhappy with the fact that my weight has been creeping up the last few visits.

Quick sidenote: in late '06, I'd gotten up to 260#, and had gotten disgusted with myself, so I started changing my eating and doing the treadmill. Ran my first 5K in 03/2008. Since then, I've gotten down to (at the lowest) 193 last year, but now I'm hovering around 195. I'd like to get down to 175 (which puts me on the high end of a "normal" BMI for my height).

I'm trying to be more intentional with eating (and cutting out snacks!), and keeping up with the 35-40 miles per week running. The question is this: for those here who've lost weight while or because of running, or otherwise, did you do a regular "cheat" or no-track day? Did you do it weekly, or less often? How would I best coordinate that with my running: put it on my long-run day, since I know I'll have a bonus of calories burnt, to offset the extra calories I'm likely to eat, or put it on Sunday (which happens to be my rest day) because I tend to only eat 2 meals that day anyway?

@9voice9
    no cheat days. just count regular calories.
    i suppose my cheat days are my long run days.
    sometimes, i will switch dinner for a glass of wine and ice cream....but that's not cheating because it fits in my calorie allotment

@Virkati congrats on your half.
    @Elise4270 sorry about the pup :frowning:

@ddmom0811 i have the SHE race kit and it is pretty awesome. They shipped them super early. i have 2 virtuals before this one and i still haven't gotten their kits :wink:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wow @9voice9 that is incredible doing 25k worth of distance over 3 efforts in one day!!

Great race report @7lenny7! Your lessons learned seem all too familiar. I think it is natural for someone with the determination to do a marathon for the first time to accidentally push too hard during training because of that determination. The rest/sleep requirements are unfathomable until you have experienced it first hand. My family (and many others) thinks I am crazy for forcing a 7/8pm bedtime (at least for myself) but they have no idea how important getting a full nights sleep every night is (for me 8-9 hours has proven best data-wise). In my opinion if you can plan the time/effort for health then you must do that equally for sleep as it is key to health and if you think logically about it the reason you workout is to rest otherwise there is no point in working out. If I were you I would take the rest of the month off, walking only. Congrats on making it and in a good time considering what all you were up against!
  • taadaalaa
    taadaalaa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm brand new on my fitness pal and need to get some mates on here I order to get motivated anyone fancy being the one to help thanks :)