May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    vandinem wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks! Yeah, I'm OK with a little walking as needed. Although on my second walking break, the team coach for the one marathon I've run drove by, rolled down her window, and yelled, "Why the hell aren't you RUNNING?!" Timing is everything.

LOL I had to laugh....That's the luck I would have too.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Congratulations @WhatMeRunning ! My PR is 2:17:28! Maybe I'll be able to keep up with you in Jenks!

If this doesn't turn out to be a stress fracture, I anticipate being able to run next weekend. I'll be curious to see if the weight loss is water weight.

1---0.5 test run, 6.0 walk/trail runnish
    14---6.48 walk. Different shoe. Same drop. Stiffer sole. Merrell all out charge

12.98/anything

Upcoming races:

11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 Dallas marathon, half
    Run the year 2016  746.35/ 2016
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Congrats @WhatMeRunning! My PR is 2:18! WTG!
    Congrats @skippygirlsmom and skippy!! I love the medals!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Tried to catch up on all the posts but gave up. I did see quite a few injuries, and I am very sorry for those who can't run right now. Just coming off an injury I know what it is like to be forced to take time off. To all of those who posted race results, congratulations! Please keep them coming, I love reading about what everyone else is doing.

The Cleveland Marathon is this weekend and even though I am not running, I wanted to go to the race expo. I have never been to one before and thought it would be cool. Nothing prepared me for the experience! There was around 100 booths in total, everything from shoes, shirts, a Garmin rep, Honey Stinger, Nuun and best of all, Great Lakes Brewing Co giving away free samples. I got to try samples of the Honey Stinger waffles and chews, different flavors of Nuun and picked out my next Garmin. Hopefully next year I will be able to run of the races (not the full, but maybe the half).
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Great race and Great pictures @skippygirlsmom It's great seeing you and Skip running together and enjoying yourselves!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - Way to go! You gotta love it when a race comes together to feel great and produce a PR!

@skippygirlsmom - Just tell people the pictures are a demonstration of your core strength. :D

@9voice9 - I was still in weight loss mode when I set out to become a runner, and made initial goal about the same time I got through my first 5K training plan. Then I lost 12 more pounds learning how not to lose weight. Now, I've been making the weight trend sideways for 4 years. I track everything most days. Once in a great while, I have a disaster day on the intake side, and I'll just record 2000 to 4000 calories for the binge as a marker that I was way over normal target. The last time that happened was April 18, with my See Food diet after finishing the Boston Marathon.

I will be a contrary voice to the theme of following MFP and eating back 50% or 75% of your exercise calories. The important thing to know is, what MFP says you should eat to maintain weight is an *estimate* based on broad averages. If you're close enough to the average that MFP uses, this doesn't matter much in weight loss mode. Say you're about 250 calories off the MFP estimate. If you target a 500 calorie deficit, instead of losing a pound a week like the plan says you will, you lose a half pound a week if your burn is lower than the estimate, or a pound and a half if your burn is higher than the estimate. No big deal, you just get there slower or faster, as the case may be.

But when you're trying to maintain, the picture changes. Now, you're targeting a net zero balance in calories. If you eat to the estimate, and the estimate is off by 250 calories, you gain or lose a half pound a week. Over time, that adds up to 26 pounds a year.

So, what to do? I weigh myself daily, and watch the trend. When the weight trends up, I decrease the calories I'm allowed. When my weight trends down, I increase them. I add a lot fewer calories back for running than Garmin says I burn, because there's no way I'm eating 1200 more calories on a day that I run 18 miles than on a rest day. So part of the calorie burn from running is built into my base calories for every day.

Over time, as my activity level changes, the base calories have to change. Sometimes I can see why the change is needed. Gee, a month ago I ran a marathon. Now I'm on injured reserve. You think I need to eat fewer calories now than a month ago? Yeah, I think so too. In four years, my base daily calorie goal has ranged between 2200 (stress fracture, in a boot, unable to get anywhere near 10K steps a day) to 3400 (peak effort of marathon training, with more calories added back for running). Picking where that number belongs is more of an art than a science. The important thing is, I have to watch what the scale does for me and ignore what MFP *thinks* the scale should do for me.

Enter running. Everyone says not to try to lose weight while running, just eat at maintenance level. That makes the issue pretty much the same as long term weight maintenance, in that the MFP estimates of how much to eat may not be good enough. First pass, take a look at how much weight you put on over how long. If you put on 10 pounds over 20 weeks, that's a half pound a week. Cutting 250 calories per day would, in theory, take you from gaining a half pound a week to maintaining. In practice, that's a reasonable first estimate to follow for a while and see how it works before making further adjustments. Of course, to do this you need to track everything you eat, or at least track enough so that you know how much cutting 250 calories is.

This is not the only way to lose or maintain weight; it just happens to the be the way that worked for me. I believe there are people who can learn to eat to hunger and maintain their weight without actually tracking the details. To date, I am not such a person.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just as I went to post my morning adventures the site went into Maintenance Mode. :s and all was lost.

10 km run - Java Domain to Judah Hill . 3.5km to the top of the hill ( 227m / 745ft ) then 1.5 km on top and looped back to the Coffee shop. Mapmyrun does not have a Hill Grade. it shows the Elevations and Distance. Privacy settings? One of the mid grade hills in our little valley. I had a good run as it was the first time this year that I managed to do the whole hill without dropping into a walk. Once the dark days of winter hit last year I lost a lot of Hill Endurance so to get it back already promises to be a good spring/summer/fall. During the winter I would have 3 walk breaks, 2 walk breaks in March/April. Now doing it to the top with no walk breaks. B)

As one of the slower runners in our club I tend to leave a 10-15 mins early so we end up finishing together. Well I had the schedule crossed up and when I got to the top of Judah Hill and stopped at the Viewpoint - Looking back - expecting to see the other members half way up the climb - NADA. Looking across the Hart River Valley ( 5 km ) I could see the bright orange and white shirts of the other members heading up 12 ft Davis Hill. Since there is no realistic way to catch up to them I just kept going out and completed my loop. The speedsters were doing 16 km today with 3km of that as speed work on the River bank Paved trail. I got in about 20 minutes ahead of them

05/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km
    05/01 – 10.0 Km – 10.0 - 130 km
    05/05 – 14.0 Km – 24.0 - 116 km
    05/08 – 8.0 Km – 32.0 - 108 km
    05/11 – 11.0 Km – 43.0 - 97 km
    05/12 – 9.0 Km – 52.0 - 88 km
    05/14 – 10.0 Km – 62.0 - 78 km – YTD 576.8 km

exercise.png

@7lenny7 Time for some IPA Therapy-recovery Electrolytes - Good Job Sir.
    @skippygirlsmom Those are Great Medals, Elegance in Simplicity.
    @MobyCarp Hope you are able to get through Physio and back on the trails.
    @WhatMeRunning! My PR is 2:12 so we could run together along with @ddmom0811
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 I lost ~20 pounds after I joined MFP; while running. Gained 10 of those back again in some stressfull month end of last year and lost them again by now, while at the same time increasing my weekly running distance to 50-60km. I didn't have any "cheat days", I always ate what I liked, as long as it fit my calorie goal for the week. Making sure the balance is right at the end of the week is easier for me than doing it on a day-by-day basis. If I go for a long run on Saturday, I usually have lots of calories left over for that day; but I'm usually still hungrier on Sunday. Or sometimes I "borrow" against Saturdays burn already on Friday evening for beer and pizza.

@WhatMeRunning Great that the muscle pain went away during the night and you could race the half! Congratulations on the PR, what a great race!

@Elise4270 Oh no, your poor puppy! I had to look up heartworms (don't think we have them here), and it seems they are transmitted by moskitos, and there are treatments to cure the dog, so there is hope! I wish you and your puppy all the best

@vandinem I had to walk a few times too today. The weather was cool with a light rain when I left home, 5 minutes later the rain stopped and the sun came out, and it got warm rather quickly. Since I don't have a coach, at least there was no risk of anyone driving by and catching me at taking a break ^^

@skippygirlsmom Congratulations to both you and Skip, awesome results both of you!
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES.............TOTAL
    5/1....................REST................00.00
    5/2....................REST................00.00
    5/3.......................5.00.................5.00
    5/4.....................10.00...............15.00
    5/5.......................3.00...............18.00
    5/6....................REST................18.00
    5/7.....................12.00...............30.00
    5/8.......................6.00...............36.00
    5/9....................REST................36.00
    5/10..................REST................36.00
    5/11.....................5.00...............41.00
    5/12.....................4.00...............45.00
    5/13..................REST................45.00
    5/14...................31.50...............76.50

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    6/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    7/16: ColorRun --5k (with my 15 year old)(Pittsburgh, PA)
    7/17: Presque Isle Half-Marathon (Erie, PA) -- This is a maybe.. road races have too many people...
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA) -- This is also a maybe.. because people...

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning That is so awesome with your PR. 2:17:38 is quite a bit different than 2:30 or 2:40. Way to go!

@skippygirlsmom Awesome job you two. Love Skip's shirt.

@PoppetsMaster Love the concise race report.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for May
    5/1 REST DAY
    5/2 6.2 miles - 6.2 << Taper and cutback week. 5K race Wednesday morning
    5/3 6.2 miles - 12.4
    5/4 4.4 miles - 16.8 << PEO-AVN 5K Fun Run (was only 2.9 miles; plus 1.5 w/u)
    5/4 3.1 miles - 19.9 << got some extra miles squeezed in
    5/5 7.5 miles - 27.4
    5/6 4 miles - 31.4
    5/7 REST DAY << Sick +daughter's birthday party
    5/8 REST DAY
    5/9 9 miles - 40.4 << Madkin Mountain (634 ft elev gain)
    5/9 4 miles - 44.4 << Daily Double
    5/10 8.3 miles - 52.7
    5/10 4 miles 56.7 << Daily Double
    5/11 6.2 miles - 62.9
    5/12 9 miles - 71.9
    5/13 6.4 miles - 78.3
    5/14 17 miles - 95.3

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Forgot to log

..Date.....Distance
    May 01 - rest
    May 02 - 4.1 km
    May 03 - rest
    May 04 - rest
    May 05 - 5 km
    May 06 - rest
    May 07 - 4.1 km
    May 08 - 5.8 km
    May 09 - 4.1 km
    May 10 - rest
    May 11 - 5 km
    May 12 - 4.1 km
    May 13 - rest
    May 14 - 7.5 km split in 2 parts but it still counts

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    ??/??: VeterRUN 6.7k
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - sorry to hear about your pup! I shall keep my fingers crossed! I had a cat die suddenly and we had no idea what happened. The vet looked into it and said her heart was huge, but she only had 1-2 heartworms. He thinks she had an allergic reaction to them, so we had no warning and no chance at treatment. :'(

I really hope the treatment works and your pup comes out okay! <3
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - sorry to hear about your pup! I shall keep my fingers crossed! I had a cat die suddenly and we had no idea what happened. The vet looked into it and said her heart was huge, but she only had 1-2 heartworms. He thinks she had an allergic reaction to them, so we had no warning and no chance at treatment. :'(

I really hope the treatment works and your pup comes out okay! <3

Oh wow. I didn't know cats could get them. I worm them all, but it's easy to forget a month or two. ..Sorry about your kitty .
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    5/1: 26.2 miles (26.5 according to Garmin!)
    5/2: Marathon recovery day
    5/3: More marathon recovery
    5/4: 3.5 miles with Pacers Wed squad
    5/5: 3.5 miles with Thursday crew
    5/6: Rest day
    5/7: 6.2 miles with Saturday RAP crew
    5/8: 10 miles solo
    5/9: 4 miles with Monday coffee crew
    5/10: Rest
    5/11: Lazy day
    5/12: 4.5 miles (am), 7.3 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    5/13: Rest day
    5/14: Lazy day

Boy oh boy, am I in a slump or what?! I got up this morning (after struggling for hours to fall asleep last night), and I just didn't have it in me. I drank some coffee, ate a little breakfast, tried to amp myself up... put on my running clothes... and then got back in bed to sleep some more. I was going to go out in the afternoon, and decided to just study for finals in the sunshine instead. I'm not sure why I don't feel like running -- let alone doing anything else -- but I hope my brain gets back in the game soon!

Meanwhile, I'll be running to my volunteer post tomorrow morning for a local 5k hosted by my trusty local running store, and then doing a ~13-14 mile route from the race around town and back home. Hopefully I'll be in a better running mood tomorrow!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    5/15: Princeton 5k << Volunteering, not racing
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: a fourth of july race somewhere!
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift - Sounds like you are getting a well earned break. You'll be back to normal soon!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Crap! I put in a long reply earlier but I guess it did not post!!

Gah!!!

I'll try again tomorrow. I'm going to bed.