May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm not used to thinking about wind chill in May, but I'm glad I checked. At the race start, with 30F and 12mph winds, the wind chill is expected to be 20F !!! I never expected to be wearing my running tights for this race but I think I better. I had packed my shorts & a thin long sleeved shirt. Along with my tights I'll pack another top layer.

Crazy!
    I'll have similar conditions for my LR tomorrow morning. Going for a distance PR in pants and jacket when last week I was in shorts and a tee shirt!

Good luck tomorrow!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    All packed and ready to go! I just have to get some real work done and run an errand or two before I make the 90 minute drive to the motel. Hoping I get up there in time for the spaghetti feed at the local fire hall tonight.

I'm not used to thinking about wind chill in May, but I'm glad I checked. At the race start, with 30F and 12mph winds, the wind chill is expected to be 20F !!! I never expected to be wearing my running tights for this race but I think I better. I had packed my shorts & a thin long sleeved shirt. Along with my tights I'll pack another top layer.

Crazy!

Have a great race! Tell us all about it when you get back!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    ARGH!!!! :rage:

I noticed when going upstairs last night a small but faint pain in my left adductor area, same one that had bothered me earlier this year but has since gone away for a while now. It didn't worry me since I am resting today and it was such a mild feeling.

This morning I felt fine waking up and moving around, so figured I was good to go.

I stood up from sitting in a chair a couple hours back and that thing yelled at me! :grimace: All I did was stand up! :confused:

So I have been careful on it since, figuring since it is one day before race day it is yet another case of pre-race jitters.

But it hasn't gone away and now when walking I sometimes feel it, and it's not happy. :cry:

Maybe this upcoming down/recovery week will be just recovery, and maybe this race won't happen. :bawling::heartbreak:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Sorry to hear about this! I Hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Just glad no wind/snow forecast for tomorrow
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning NOOOOO! I hope you'll be fine!
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7... have fun tomorrow... will be thinking about your windchill while slopping through my rain... I don't have to leave to travel today... the race site is 10 minutes from my house...
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning... that has to be the worst! I have been lucky because I have had virtually no running injuries for over three years... hope you get up tomorrow and you are ready to roll!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I feel terrible for ya!!! That just sucks. Hopefully it just a reminder to take it conservatively and will go away soon. kittens!!

@MNLittleFinn no wind? We'll have average winds of 11 to 15 mph with gusts to 24mph. Side wind for 11 miles, tail winds for the rest, but still... So grateful this rain is moving out.

@PoppetsMaster sounds like a fun time to me. I love running in the rain. Once this marathon is over I'm planning on a lot more trail running. I'm signed up for 6 trail races May through Sept, and will probably add a few more.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I just started Strava this year
    I signed up for it a while ago, but it has WAY too much information for me and I find it to be very confusing... I just stick with Garmin Connect. When I got on Strava to see this poster thing, I think it was the first time I had logged-in in about a year...

I don't have a Garmin (yet) but I can't imagine adding anymore tech to my already too-techy run.

Good luck tomorrow!

@WhatMeRunning - hope it feels fine by the end of the day!

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My Strava only goes back to Feb 19. I think I can force it to manually sync further back. But here's what I got so far. Also, something is off because my longest mileage should be 7 miles. Hmmm..
    I think Strava protects your "privacy zones" that you set in your profile when you sync to that webpage. So if you've got a privacy radius set around your house, that bit of the route will be missing. At least that's my theoy.

@WhatMeRunning Oh no, that sucks! I hope it's just one of those weird things where you a wrong movement without noticing, and it hurts for a day, and the next day when you wake up it's fine again... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!

@7lenny7 and @PoppetsMaster and anyone else who's racing this weekend: all the best, go out there and kick some *kitten*!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I mentioned before I was having my family pick songs for my playlist tomorrow. Here's the results

14 year old son:
    I Need A Dollar - Aloe Blacc
    Chacarron - El Chombo <- perfect from him!! A stupid, fun song.

18 year old son:
    Traveller - Christ Stapleton
    Bulls On Parade - Rage Against the Machine <-- another perfect one. We used to crank this on the way to his footall games to fire him up.
    What It's Like - Everlast

20 year old daughter:
    I Ain't Ready To Quit - Jason Aldean
    Wagon Wheel - Old Crow Medicine Show <-- our traditional road trip song
    Tell it To Me - Old Crow Medicine Show

Wife:
    I Love You - John Kilzer <-- our song
    Wasted Time - Keith Urban
    Urgent - Foreigner
    I Can't Drink You Away - Justin Timberlake

To that I added:
    Feats Don't Fail Me Now - Little Feat <-- just because
    Yummy Yummy Yummy - Ohio Express < -- in honor of my deceased sister. We used to sing this when I was a little kid
    Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd <-- in honor of my deceased brother. He introduced me to southern rock and I associate this song with him more than any other.
    Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash <-- in honor of my deceased father. He was a crazy Johnny Cash fan. At his funeral I drove the limo for my mom, brother and sisters and I brought a Johnny Cash CD. After the burial I put this in and cranked it. I departed from the processional back to the funeral home and we just drove around listening. When we got back to the funeral home, this song was on. Everyone got out but I stayed in limo and listened to this song three times before I was able to get out and join the others.

I fully expect I'll be crying when those last three songs come on.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @7lenny7 oops, meant no rain...similar winds as you!
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn, I think you were planning on running this race
    http://minneapolisrunning.com/2016-red-white-and-boom/
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn, I think you were planning on running this race
    http://minneapolisrunning.com/2016-red-white-and-boom/

Registered for it, it will be my first HM
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I love your songs on the playlist, so special. Good luck!!
    @poppetsmaster good luck!
    @whatmerunning hope it's just a little tweet and it stops hurting.

Good luck to everyone running this weekend. Today is a rest day for me, I'm trying to stick to the 2 days on 1 day off method to keep my knee happy. Tomorrow Skip and I are running in the Technicolor 5K it raises money for domestic and international orphaned children a cause near and dear to my heart.
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    DATE...............MILES.............TOTAL
    5/1....................REST................00.00
    5/2....................REST................00.00
    5/3.......................5.00.................5.00
    5/4.....................10.00...............15.00
    5/5.......................3.00...............18.00
    5/6....................REST................18.00
    5/7.....................12.00...............30.00
    5/8.......................6.00...............36.00
    5/9....................REST................36.00
    5/10..................REST................36.00
    5/11.....................5.00...............41.00
    5/12.....................4.00...............45.00
    5/13..................REST................45.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    6/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    7/16: ColorRun --5k (with my 15 year old)(Pittsburgh, PA)
    7/17: Presque Isle Half-Marathon (Erie, PA) -- This is a maybe.. road races have too many people...
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA) -- This is also a maybe.. because people...
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom good luck tomorrow! That's an awesome cause to be running to raise money for! I know a lot of folks who have adopted orphans, you folks who do it are amazing.