skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I will be your coach:

1. Put on your damn shoes.
    2. Go outside.
    3. Run.
    4. Far.

That will be $1,500.00 cash or money order only. Thank you very much.

Dude, I totally forgot about the go outside part....

It would be difficult to do #4, if you forgot #2.
    (Although @7lenny7 actually ran far and he forgot #2 :p ).

@poppetsmaster I'm so glad you are back ha ha!!!!!!!

@ACSL3 great poster!

@mobycarp awesome post on why not to full now.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 another great run!

Thanks you sir!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So, I was poking around the website for the 10K trail run I have coming up in a couple weeks. I decided to check out last year's results, as I always do. I always like the little reassurance that I know I have a very good chance of not coming in last. Not that this should really matter in the grand scheme of things, but my ego and pride get in my way. So, I clicked on the results, and immediately scrolled to the bottom of the document. I nearly had a heart attack! The slowest out of 536 runners was 56:15 for a 10K trail run?! Knowing the terrain, that would, undoubtedly put me dead last. As I started to scroll up, I realized something seemed a bit off. Then, I saw that the runner who placed 159th must have been The Flash, since he finished in 00:01. :confused: Someone needs to hone in on their Excel skills before posting such things on the Internet. Ugh.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Let's give it the George Carlin 7 words test...

*kitten* piss *kitten* *kitten* *kitten* *kitten* tits

Well, at least we know that "piss" and "tits" are acceptable. By the way, when you quote the post, it's definitely not censored. You did, in fact, post all seven of George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words. :lol:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - I always run slower in the dark.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So, I was poking around the website for the 10K trail run I have coming up in a couple weeks. I decided to check out last year's results, as I always do. I always like the little reassurance that I know I have a very good chance of not coming in last. Not that this should really matter in the grand scheme of things, but my ego and pride get in my way. So, I clicked on the results, and immediately scrolled to the bottom of the document. I nearly had a heart attack! The slowest out of 536 runners was 56:15 for a 10K trail run?! Knowing the terrain, that would, undoubtedly put me dead last. As I started to scroll up, I realized something seemed a bit off. Then, I saw that the runner who placed 159th must have been The Flash, since he finished in 00:01. :confused: Someone needs to hone in on their Excel skills before posting such things on the Internet. Ugh.

Whew! What ever happened to rereading/checking your work?

Edit- although, it could be time behind first. Maybe last was 56 minutes behind first.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Trying to decide if this is too ambitious a route for my longest long run for the training cycle: https://www.strava.com/routes/5061143

This route is about 3x the elevation (according to strava when I mapped it) than my last long run. I crunched some numbers. and found out that to make the 135 minute time limit for the run, I'd have to average 11:50/mile for the run. My average, for my last 4 long runs (Mileage: 8.2,7, 8.4, 10) was 10:38. I'm also open to the run taking longer than the time limit from my plan, since the mileage would still be under 35% of that week's total. This would be next week, week 5/10 of the training plan I'm on.

The run itself looks like it's in a really nice area, on the Mesabi Trail, through the woods in northern, MN, and goes past Giant's Ridge ski resort, so I know I'll enjoy the views, and that's a big part of why I want to try it.

So, the question is, Do I tempt fate on a much more vertical run for my longest long run in the cycle?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Are you expecting to run something like this? http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Are you expecting to run something like this? http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/

LOL. Nope. I just got bored a little with where i normally run, and this trail looked fun. It's a paved trail BTW. I didn't realize the vertical it was going to have until I mapped it out.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that the elevation in Strava/others is not really all that accurate. But...it probably will be hilly if it shows a lot of elevation gain!:lol:

Training with hills is one of the best things you can do. What I would do is start mapping out hilly routes for your short and medium runs too. Then you could definitely tackle your longest run on a hilly route and be ready for anything. Hills are the best way to build up running power and speed. Well, I'm not positive about it being the BEST, but it's the best thing I do.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Trying to decide if this is too ambitious a route for my longest long run for the training cycle: https://www.strava.com/routes/5061143

This route is about 3x the elevation (according to strava when I mapped it) than my last long run. I crunched some numbers. and found out that to make the 135 minute time limit for the run, I'd have to average 11:50/mile for the run. My average, for my last 4 long runs (Mileage: 8.2,7, 8.4, 10) was 10:38. I'm also open to the run taking longer than the time limit from my plan, since the mileage would still be under 35% of that week's total. This would be next week, week 5/10 of the training plan I'm on.

The run itself looks like it's in a really nice area, on the Mesabi Trail, through the woods in northern, MN, and goes past Giant's Ridge ski resort, so I know I'll enjoy the views, and that's a big part of why I want to try it.

So, the question is, Do I tempt fate on a much more vertical run for my longest long run in the cycle?

That looks like an awesome route, @MNLittleFinn, I'd go for it!

I love making my long runs what I call "destination runs", if I have the time. I'll carefully choose a route which is interesting and scenic.

If there's any doubt about my ability to finish the run, particularly on the winter runs when walking while sweaty could be dangerous, rather than start at the end of an out & back, I'll start about 25% to 50% into it, run to the far end, come back past my truck to the other end, then back to my truck again. One particular advantage do doing this is that rather than carry everything I need for the full run, I can stop at my truck and reload on water & fuel. The lot at 1.3 or 1.7 would be ideal.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    I've also seen one of these. I would not want to run with this strapped to my face, but the concept is great. I could see this being beneficial for sure.

http://www.trainingmask.com/
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I've also seen one of these. I would not want to run with this strapped to my face, but the concept is great. I could see this being beneficial for sure.

http://www.trainingmask.com/

I've seen crazy folks with these.

@MNLittleFinn I'd do the hills! Where's @ROBOTFOOD he does some elevation.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Thanks @WhatMeRunning , @7lenny7 and @Elise4270 ! think I'm going to go for it.

@WhatMeRunning all my runs have hills, This one just has a heck of a lot more, being in the hill country. I feel pretty ready for it, I think.....

@7lenny7 The lot at 1.3 was where i was originally thinking of starting my route, but wanted to get to 11 miles. I really like the idea of starting there though, so if I want to cut it short, I can, but I can always loop around to get the full mileage.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Let's give it the George Carlin 7 words test...

*kitten* piss *kitten* *kitten* *kitten* *kitten* tits

Well, at least we know that "piss" and "tits" are acceptable. By the way, when you quote the post, it's definitely not censored. You did, in fact, post all seven of George Carlin's Seven Dirty Words. :lol:

LOL - yes you know we all have to try it now.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/protein/4-high-protein-pastas-perfect-for-recovery

OK so maybe I'm not as productive as I should be at work. But, GF options for pasta. If you live in a larger area you may already know about these. I'm just learning. Even if your not GF- they have protein!
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    http://www.runnersworld.com/protein/4-high-protein-pastas-perfect-for-recovery

OK so maybe I'm not as productive as I should be at work. But, GF options for pasta. If you live in a larger area you may already know about these. I'm just learning. Even if your not GF- they have protein!
    Oh I have got to get me some of these!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2 mi
    5/4 - 2 mi
    5/7 - 2 mi
    5/8 - 2 mi
    5/9 - 2 mi
    5/13- 2mi
    5/15- 1mi
    5/17- 1 mi

14 down 16 to go.

behind logging again. It was actually more then a mile but I am only logging the full miles. Dropped the car off for an oil change and Neeko and I ran home from the garage.

I have my 5k tomorrow at work and I am actually a little nervous. I haven't been in a race environment since December and I hate crowds. I am treating it like a training session and doing intervals depending on the weather since it is at noon and last year I had a serious issue with the heat. Oh well, it is just for fun... I think.