May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    There's an old saying " There's no bad Running Weather, just bad clothing choices".
    Today was very Bad George Carlin Type Running weather - We are in summer? Right?

My Local Weather Forecast
    Issued: 4:00 PM MDT Thursday 19 May 2016

Snowfall warning in effect.

Tonight Snow at times heavy. Snow mixed with rain early this evening. Local snowfall amount 10 cm. Wind north 30 km/h gusting to 50. Low minus 2. 10cm = 3.9 inchs.

Fri, 20 May Snow at times heavy changing to rain near noon. Local snowfall amount 2 to 4 cm. Rainfall amount 10 to 15 mm. Wind northeast 30 km/h gusting to 50. High plus 4.
    Night Rain. Amount 5 mm. Wind north 20 km/h. Temperature steady near plus 4.

I think its going to be a good day for swimming.
    Thinkingabout sterilizing my CamelBak and bring it with on my Long Run through the hills next week
    Whiskey works B)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Boredom + slight dehydration = dropping a nuun in 16oz of water to see how it tastes
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Thinkingabout sterilizing my CamelBak and bring it with on my Long Run through the hills next week
    Whiskey works B)
    Whiskey is better for cold weather runs, it's supposed to be like 55 F out...maybe some rum....
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Stuff like this is why I decided against their monster dash, and will be running the TC marathon, if I run a full next year. TCM seems to do a WAY better job than Team Ortho does, at getting things figured out.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hopefully my run tomorrow will be fuelled on the buzz of having gotten a new job, not the rage of having been unsuccessful!

Good luck with the job, @louubelle16 !

@ddmom0811 - oh my! LOL.

Hi everyone, Joining in here for the first time. I started running in September having never run before. I joined a Walk to Run group at my YMCA and have been loving it. So far I've run three 5K races and just this past weekend did an 8k. I finished in 56:16, which I was fairly pleased with, but was hoping to have improved speed a bit. My running buddies were a at about 51 minutes - need to catch them :)

I don't think I'm really a speed runner but I think I have a pretty consistent pace and can build endurance. I've never been in shape before and I'm so excited to try to push myself a little and see what I can do. I've lost almost 50 lbs. this past year and feel so much better mentally and physically.

My current goals are to beat my previous highest monthly total of 62 miles run, and get up to about 20 miles/week.
    Right now I'm well on my way with 45 miles for May so far. This week I've done about 9 miles so far. I'm planning to run a 10K in July and start training for a half marathon. :o

Upcoming races:
    6/4: Butterfly Run - 5K (fun run team thing, will not be a race pace)
    6/7: JP Morgan Corporate Challenge - 3.5 miles
    7/30: Save the River 10K (tentative)
    8/20: Sarcoma Foundation 5k
    9/18: Fall Classic 5k (Boston, tentative but I'll be in Boston that weekend so hoping)
    October - half marathon - maybe Niagara Falls International?

@katharmonic Awesome stuff! Welcome to the Runny Farm!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    01 May – 16.1 km Distance PB
    03 May – 8.1 km
    05 May – 10.1 km
    07 May – 5 km parkrun PB by 48 seconds! 27:47
    08 May – 8.4 km Mother’s Day Classic
    10 May – 10 km
    12 May – 10.1 km
    13 May – 7 km
    14 May – climbed a mountain, no running but 30,000 steps gets a mention
    15 May – 15 km PB!
    17 May – 12.1 km
    19 May – 8.2 km
    20 May – 10.1 km

Total: 120.2 km (74.7 miles)
    Goal: 150 km (93 miles)

Upcoming:
    June 11-12: Serra Terror 80 km trail walk relay
    June 19: Winter Solstice Lighthouse to Lighthouse 15 km
    August 7: Peaks & Trails 22 km (OMFSM I want to do a part mountain trail run for my first HM?!?)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    When I saw there were over 100 posts in the 24 hours since I last checked this thread, I had braces myself for reading through some pretty heavy, expert running stuff I wouldn't really understand. Clearly I needn't have worried, you're all just enjoying a bit of cursing :tongue:

We are a group of mature runners...

In age maybe...

Doubt that. I'm just a little ripe.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    So, I was poking around the website for the 10K trail run I have coming up in a couple weeks. I decided to check out last year's results, as I always do. I always like the little reassurance that I know I have a very good chance of not coming in last. Not that this should really matter in the grand scheme of things, but my ego and pride get in my way. So, I clicked on the results, and immediately scrolled to the bottom of the document. I nearly had a heart attack! The slowest out of 536 runners was 56:15 for a 10K trail run?! Knowing the terrain, that would, undoubtedly put me dead last. As I started to scroll up, I realized something seemed a bit off. Then, I saw that the runner who placed 159th must have been The Flash, since he finished in 00:01. :confused: Someone needs to hone in on their Excel skills before posting such things on the Internet. Ugh.

Whew! What ever happened to rereading/checking your work?

Edit- although, it could be time behind first. Maybe last was 56 minutes behind first.

I don't think so. After studying the thing, it looks like someone didn't know how to make the column wider in Excel or something or decided to make it narrow to better fit the spreadsheet into the PDF. Last place was 1:56:12...I think.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So, I was poking around the website for the 10K trail run I have coming up in a couple weeks. I decided to check out last year's results, as I always do. I always like the little reassurance that I know I have a very good chance of not coming in last. Not that this should really matter in the grand scheme of things, but my ego and pride get in my way. So, I clicked on the results, and immediately scrolled to the bottom of the document. I nearly had a heart attack! The slowest out of 536 runners was 56:15 for a 10K trail run?! Knowing the terrain, that would, undoubtedly put me dead last. As I started to scroll up, I realized something seemed a bit off. Then, I saw that the runner who placed 159th must have been The Flash, since he finished in 00:01. :confused: Someone needs to hone in on their Excel skills before posting such things on the Internet. Ugh.

@instantmartian Actually what I think is what happened is that whoever posted the results didn't make the finish time column wide enough. Last place is actually 1:56:15. You should be fine. Everyone #159 and on to dead last took over an hour to finish. But the column is too narrow to show the extra hour.

I had figured out what happened. I think they decided to confuse the crap out of people because the narrower column better fit onto their PDF, which means that it was probably a matter of not proofreading before publishing or compromising accurate data for aesthetics. After I realized that place #159 evidently ran the race in 00:01, I realized the last place was 1:56:15. I think I'm safe.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Today is a rest day. :neutral:

On the Friday of a down/recovery week. :grimace:

I can do this!! :cold_sweat:

5/1 - 13.1 miles
    5/2 - 6 miles
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 9 miles
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/6 - Rest
    5/7 - 10.5 miles
    5/8 - 10.5 miles
    5/9 - 6 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 10 miles
    5/12 - 6 miles
    5/13 - Rest
    5/14 - 13.1 miles
    5/15 - 4 miles
    5/16 - 6 miles
    5/17 - 6 miles
    5/18 - 6 miles
    5/19 - 6 miles
    5/20 - Rest

130.2/200 miles

exercise.png

2016 races (this list is subject to change at the posters whim):
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 but was only 12.5 miles
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS) 2:17:38.4 new PR
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Today is a rest day. :neutral:

On the Friday of a down/recovery week. :grimace:

I can do this!! :cold_sweat:

I'm with ya brother....These rest days are hard on me! Next week is going to more than make up for it though.... :shudder:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Resting today and will likely be joining my Saturday group for an unofficial half marathon of 13x1 mile hill repeats in town...
    You are a BEAST!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    FINALLY had a good run yesterday! Ran fast, felt fast, and it felt good! Because my Monday run was at 6:30 am and my run last night was at 6:30 pm, it was like having three days off, and it was amazing. By yesterday afternoon, I was anxious for 6:15 to roll around so I could head off to the store to meet up pre-run! Hopefully I'll be able to start upping my mileage again soon and get back to 5x a week schedule.

Resting today and will likely be joining my Saturday group for an unofficial half marathon of 13x1 mile hill repeats in town, followed by all the coffee and lattes and mochas we can stomach :p

Glad to see you got your mojo back! and that sounds awesome!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - Rest day after HM to finish April. Another ugly, rainy day.
    5/2 - 4.25 miles.
    5/3 - 3.1 miles. Quick 5k while my daughter had soccer practice.
    5/4 - 4.53 miles. Cool, pleasant morning run. Mostly base pace, but last mile tempo.
    5/5 - 4.95 miles on treadmill (Trek class).
    5/6 - 4.47 miles. Base pace.
    5/7 - 4.84 miles, Market to Market Relay Leg 4
    - 4.01 miles, Market to Market Relay Leg 11
    5/8 - Planned rest day
    5/9 - Unplanned rest day
    5/10 - 5.17 miles
    5/11 - Misty, foggy 5.01 miles
    5/12 - 4.31 miles.
    5/13 - 3.1 miles on treadmill, plus weights/abs
    5/14 - 6 miles. Abbreviated 10k. Ran first 5k with my daughter...her 1st! Then 2nd loop in what would have been a 5k PR. Had so much fun!
    5/15 - 9.02 miles. Gorgeous afternoon!
    5/16 - Planned rest day.
    5/17 - 4.39 miles. Cool, pleasant, misty morning.
    5/18 - Unplanned rest day
    5/19 - 4.8 miles on treadmill (Trek class), then weights
    5/20 - 5.09 pleasant miles. Negative splits.
    exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree love the shoes! I may have to try a pair. I think I need to go back to a stability shoe.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty- I did not click on the links that @Stoshew71 provided, but stomach cramps and bowel issues during/after running can be caused by dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. This often happens when running in weather that is hotter and more humid than you are used to. Maybe try drinking a sports drink before hand?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    May

1-0
    2-stretching
    3-stretching-knee is still sore
    4-yoga tonight/foam rolled
    5-nothing yet
    6-nothing
    7-13.36mi great race. super hard for me. but I did it and completed it. and now I've finished a half marathon race
    8-nothing
    9-nothing
    10-nothing-recovery takes too long
    11-yoga
    12-nothing
    13-yoga
    14=nothing
    15=nothing
    16-nothing yet.....
    17-4.7mi treadmill with hills. level 4
    18-yoga tonight
    19-4.23mi treadmill. i tried a steady rate with steady incline level 5. not good. bad run. lots of walking
    20-so i have a cold :frowning:

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 12-Great Pi Run 5k 32:17

May 7-Door County Half Marathon 2:51:11
    May 28-29-Global 5k Run Virtual
    May 28-Top Gun Run 5k Virtual
    June 11-Rock n Sole 1/4 Marathon?
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half (got my gear-good stuff)
    July 20-Cream Puff 5k?
    July 30-National Watermelon Day 5k?