May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Round out the month with "what did you learn" as the last few miles come in?

I learned that I actually can run, and that I really like it. I learned how to be able to run outside without feeling self-conscious. I learned there's no shame in taking a walk break or two. Most of all, I learned that running is a fantastic tool for combatting my depression and anxiety. On to June!
  • perk1960
    perk1960 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    [img][/img]
    exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I learned that, once you get into it, 100 miles in a month can feel easier than 80 miles in a month. I learned thaat I can actually run without music (headphones became possessed) and that Running really is my favorite cure for stress and anxiety.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

I learned that I actually can run, and that I really like it. I learned how to be able to run outside without feeling self-conscious. I learned there's no shame in taking a walk break or two. Most of all, I learned that running is a fantastic tool for combatting my depression and anxiety. On to June!

I learned that I didn't really hated the cold months. I miss them now :(
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Oh, one other thing I learned: WEAR SUNSCREEN.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

I learned the value of hills, hydration training, heat tolerance and revisited what it's like to start a running program. I should get serious about cross training. I'm not sure why I don't look like a pro runner yet..... or why I'm not as fast as one.

I learned you really need to listen to the pain.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i learned i get irritable when i don't run
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Oh yeah, I learned that the foam roller I bought over the weekend can make my lats and other upper leg muscles like me again
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I learned that I could and should add more hills on what I had previously treated as hilly routes. I also learned that I need to stop buying shoes. I learned that I need to get on the freaking trails soon (rain has closed them) and that I should think long and hard before hand as opposed to just impulsively signing up for a 50k that is supposed to be awesome and stuff (as in awesomely brutal). I also learned a whole lot about *kitten*.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Thinking befor signing up for a race usually leads to not doing it. Hills are essential, which is why now ALL of my long runs will be on the route I found this weekend that is better for vertical than my normal stomping grounds. You're running great and learning a lot!
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES.............TOTAL
    5/1....................REST................00.00
    5/2....................REST................00.00
    5/3.......................5.00.................5.00
    5/4.....................10.00...............15.00
    5/5.......................3.00...............18.00
    5/6....................REST................18.00
    5/7.....................12.00...............30.00
    5/8.......................6.00...............36.00
    5/9....................REST................36.00
    5/10..................REST................36.00
    5/11.....................5.00...............41.00
    5/12.....................4.00...............45.00
    5/13..................REST................45.00
    5/14...................31.50...............76.50 (GRT 50k Ultra)
    5/15..................REST................76.50
    5/16..................REST................76.50
    5/17.....................5.50...............82.00
    5/18.....................5.00...............87.00
    5/19..................REST................87.00
    5/20.....................2.00...............89.00
    5/21.....................8.50...............97.50
    5/22..................REST................97.50
    5/23.....................7.00.............104.50
    5/24.....................5.00.............109.50
    5/25.....................7.50.............117.00
    5/26..................REST...............117.50
    5/27.....................3.75..............120.75
    5/28.....................9.00..............129.75
    5/29...................14.00..............143.75
    5/30..................REST...............143.75
    5/31.....................6.25..............150.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    7/16: ColorRun --5k (with my 15 year old)(Pittsburgh, PA)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom sorry to hear of your racing woe! Congrats to you for finishing, and to Skip for kickin' butt!
    @whatmerunning you know darn well that an 8 mile run can not be considered a failure (unless you were running from a bear and the bear caught up). You may not have gotten the hill runs you were planning for, but you did get some training in heat, which will make you stronger for the next hot run. Congrats on 200+!
    @juliet3455 great race!!
    @shanaber love the beach pix! I'd love to be able to see that on a regular basis!

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My final run of the month yesterday was 8.7 miles along the Mississippi River. That brings me to a total of 104.4, ahead of my soft goal of 100 miles.

The final May run came the morning after my first overnight stay in in our new-to-us sailboat. I planned ahead and got everything ready as much as I could the night before so I'd make as little noise as possible while getting ready the next morning...laid out my clothes, ground my coffee and got the coffee maker ready to go, put my shoes and all my gear (GPS, hat, water bottle) in a bag to put on while outside the cabin. Everything was set so that when I got up I quickly dressed, put water on to heat on the stove for coffee and brushed my teeth. I sat in the cockpit enjoying the cool morning air in marina, drinking my coffee and loving the start of the day.

My plan for the day was 6 miles but the 6 mile mark found me south of town on Highway 61 and it took nearly 3 miles of running to get back to the marina.

The run started out just awful, even awfuller than usual, but as usually happens, all was well after a mile and it ended up being a beautiful run! Limestone bluffs towering above, the river steadily flowing below me, trains rumbling by from time to time, bald eagle soaring overhead, and a few fishermen out on the lake trying their luck.

The run started on lake-side trails, transitioned to lake-side roads, then finished on the aforementioned Highway 61. On the way south, the shoulder was wide and with very little camber. I should have looked to the other side. On the return run, the should was narrower and with greater camber. i think I can blame that camber on the pain in the outside of my left foot. That lasted a couple hours before moving up to my left calf..kind of felt like it was in between my calf muscles and bone. Could that be shin splints? I don't know what shin splints feel like. This feels like it's more in the inner muscle than anything else. The pain is off and on now, but I don't expect it to be anything major.

Running on Highway 61, the Bob Dylan album, "Highway 61 Revisited" kept coming into mind so we listened to that on the way back home later in the day.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-May: <Life Day>
    02-May: 3.92 miles
    03-May: 8.22 miles
    04-May: 3.65 miles
    05-May: 7.62 miles
    06-May: 11.43 miles
    07-May: 8.44 miles
    08-May: <Life Day>
    09-May: 4.08 miles
    10-May: 10.93 miles
    11-May: 6.67 miles
    12-May: 6.92 miles
    13-May: 3.24 miles
    14-May: 15.70 miles
    15-May: <Life Day>
    16-May: 7.01 miles
    17-May: 3.37 miles
    18-May: 6.74 miles
    19-May: 6.83 miles
    20-May: 3.53 miles
    21-May: 9.35 miles
    22-May: <Life Day>
    23-May: 6.87 miles
    24-May: 6.66 miles
    25-May: 3.12 miles
    26-May: 6.65 miles
    27-May: 4.50 miles
    28-May: 3.10 miles
    29-May: <Life Day>
    30-May: 7.12 miles
    31-May: 6.51 miles

exercise.png

86 degrees at 11:30ish. "Feels like" 89 degrees. I knew it was gonna be an UGly lunch run, and it was. But it was a better run than no run at all. Wound up with 172.18 miles for the month, but I need to average 186 to make 2016 for the year. Not sure I can manage that if we're already approaching 90 and it ain't even June yet. Right now, I'm telling myself, "It's only until 04-Jul and the Peachtree. After that, we can do ALL the miles in the dark." We'll see.

Also - thinking while running is a dangerous thing (right @mnlittlefinn? @7lenny7? @whatmerunning?). I'm considering planning on doing the Museum of Aviation HM in January again, and then keep up with the conditioning (??!!) to be able to run the Snickers Half (http://albanymarathon.com/) in March. 'Course, that means I need to be more consistent with long-runs, and maybe even plan to do a 13ish once a month betwixt now and then.

Upcoming Races:
    03-Jun: Daylily Dash 5K, Gray (7 PM)
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA
    05-Sep: Labor Day Road Race 10K
    17-Sep: Joshua's Wish 5K
    24-Sep: Georgia Golden Olympics 5K
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Made my second goal, the Strava elevation challenge in addition to the distance goal! I managed to come up with two free hours yesterday. So I drove over to the mountains in torrential rain that turned the cute little forest path into a muddy mess. I was really tired when I started, but that rain and the slippery ground were enough to wake me up again. Lots of fun! Although I think the interior of my car is in dire need of cleaning now, which sounds like less fun...

v20zhys7k3ri.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 2.66 mi walk
    5/2 - 30 min indoor cardio, 12 min lower body pilates
    5/3 - 3.1 mi run
    5/4 - rest day
    5/5 - 30 min indoor cardio, 15 min lower body pilates
    5/6 - .5 mi walk/4 mi run/1 mi walk
    5/7 - 3 mi run, 40 min strength&pilates, 2.3 mi walk
    5/8 - 3 mi run
    5/9 - 1 hr 40 min of indoor cardio mixed with light strength training, not all at once
    5/10 - 25 min indoor cardio A.M. then 3 mile run P.M.
    5/11 - 15 min light cardio, 15 min lower body pilates
    5/12 - active rest with 40 min light walking throughout the day
    5/13 - 3 mi run, 20 min pilates/lower body exercises
    5/14 - 3.5 mi walk that should've been a 5 mi run :-/
    5/15 - rest day
    5/16 - 1 hr 25 min indoor moderate cardio mixed with light strength training
    5/17 - 30 min indoor cardio A.M. - 3 mile run P.M.
    5/18 - 40 min light walking, 3 mile late evening run
    5/19 - 1 hr light walking
    5/20 - 4.25 mi run, .5 mi cool down walk, 40 min total body strength and pilates
    5/21 - 3 mi run with 4 fast intervals in mile 2 (A.M.) and 3 mile walk (P.M.)
    5/22 - 3 mile run
    5/23 - 15 min light cardio A.M./68 min kickbox- strength- pilates P.M.
    5/24 - 45 min indoor cardio A.M./ 3.1 mi run P.M
    5/25 - 4 mile run, 5 miles biking
    5/26 - 50 min strength/pilates, 3 mile run
    5/27 - 40 min indoor cardio A.M./5 miles bike around town P.M.
    5/28 - 5.5 mi trail run
    5/29 - rest day
    5/30 - 6.2 mi run, 40 min strength training and pilates
    5/31 - Not over yet but I'm thinking 5 mile bike after work???

Run goal: 57.25 of 45 miles

@Elise4270 I learned that I'm going to be sore from running and it's not always an injury ;) I learned that running in the rain isn't bad at all even though I wear glasses. I learned trail running is awesome and takes the pressure off of worrying about pace.

@_nikkiwolf_ Awesome elevation!

• WhatMeRunning
    edited May 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Also - thinking while running is a dangerous thing (right @mnlittlefinn? @7lenny7? @whatmerunning?). I'm considering planning on doing the Museum of Aviation HM in January again, and then keep up with the conditioning (??!!) to be able to run the Snickers Half (http://albanymarathon.com/) in March.
    Yes, yes, YES! This is the cycle!

That 5k at the end of C25k turns into the start of 10k training, during which you decide you want to do a half so you set up your HM training to have the 10k you already signed up for as a training run for your HM. That HM in turn becomes a training run for the other HM you decided you wanted to add to your calendar, which then turns into a training run for that marathon you finally decided you would give a shot at. After your near death experience from that first marathon you decide to stick to 5k's only and wind up running half marathons every weekend until you also sprinkle in some full marathons on the schedule, and that's when you add in that 50k because, you know, it's less than 5 extra little miles. And of course with a 50k being such a pathetic tiny entry level distance among ultramarathons you schedule your training so that the first 50k plus another one set up your 50 miler training plan....repeating through 100k and 100m perhaps...
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    Made my second goal, the Strava elevation challenge in addition to the distance goal! I managed to come up with two free hours yesterday. So I drove over to the mountains in torrential rain that turned the cute little forest path into a muddy mess. I was really tired when I started, but that rain and the slippery ground were enough to wake me up again. Lots of fun! Although I think the interior of my car is in dire need of cleaning now, which sounds like less fun...

v20zhys7k3ri.png
    Kick *kitten*!!! Way to go @_nikkiwolf_ !! I thought I might have a shot at that challenge last week but after the heat kicked in I just couldn't do it! :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Only 4 more long runs until my HM :o