May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Another 5k. It was kinda bad since it was so much hotter that yesterday so even though heart rate was the same, pace was slower and it felt harder to run in so much heat. I need to try this "get up before the sun" thing.

Also a 5 year old ran into me with his tricycle. Since I'm pretty big he fell and started crying. His mother started screaming at me and I said sorry and ran away from the scene. Not my fault he decided to cross the jogging lane at maximum speed behind a bush. I'm sure he was ok though kids need to fall to develop an immunity to bigger falls

On the sad part my knee acted up today. Took some vitamin I (ibuprofen) and I guess tomorrow is rest day. Also I think I'll skip my long run on Sunday depending how I feel. I want to advance to 6 runs a week soon but we'll see

..Date.....Distance
    May 01 - rest
    May 02 - 4.1 km
    May 03 - rest
    May 04 - rest
    May 05 - 5 km
    May 06 - rest
    May 07 - 4.1 km
    May 08 - 5.8 km
    May 09 - 4.1 km
    May 10 - rest
    May 11 - 5 km
    May 12 - 4.1 km
    May 13 - rest
    May 14 - 7.5 km split in 2 parts but it still counts
    May 15 - 5.7 km
    May 16 - rest
    May 17 - 5+1.4 km
    May 18 - 6 km
    May 19 - 5.8 km

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    ??/??: VeterRUN 6.7k
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I just realized that that nasty hilly run I made has the nastiest hill right about the same distance in as my HM has the one big hill.....Good reason to do the run?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I honestly think I first heard about those masks from something on Runner's World, but don't have a link. I did find this which tries to get to any sort of truth behind any so-called benefits of using suck a mask though. Looks like a mixed bag of results, with some upside, but it is definitely misleading to say you get altitude training from it since the adaptations being made are in your diaphragm strength simply making you able to breathe harder, as opposed to your lungs ability to deliver oxygen to your blood (two different things).

https://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/altitude-masks-running/
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Also a 5 year old ran into me with his tricycle. Since I'm pretty big he fell and started crying. His mother started screaming at me and I said sorry and ran away from the scene. Not my fault he decided to cross the jogging lane at maximum speed behind a bush. I'm sure he was ok though kids need to fall to develop an immunity to bigger falls

LOL I suppose it's not a hit and run if the victim is the one running away.

I had a kid last week watching me coming down the street and when I got up to his house he started racing me. I always have funny encounters with kids on this one particular street :smiley:

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I think in general the concept is that vehicles must yield to pedestrians. In this case you were clearly the pedestrian and struck by a crazed inattentive driver of a vehicle, possibly driving faster than considered safe even!!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    C25k week 7 day 3 complete. 2 miles running, 3.3 miles total. One more week left of c25k!

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    For anyone bored out of their minds, or interested in the trail I'm planning on running: http://arrowhead.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapTour/index.html?appid=381c773210a144ccb3ba303c60aec64d#

click on the red 40 and the section I'm running goes from the beginning of the video to 9:05.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty Great job!
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    exercise.png
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @adrianchr92 Reminds me of Monty Python "Run away! Run away!"
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    @respectTheKitty Awesome!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    You should have asked for insurance info :smiley: I've only had one near run me over on foot. A few try to race ya like @greenolivetree
  • Erin_CA
    Erin_CA Posts: 26 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks @WhatMeRunning , @7lenny7 and @Elise4270 ! think I'm going to go for it.

@WhatMeRunning all my runs have hills, This one just has a heck of a lot more, being in the hill country. I feel pretty ready for it, I think.....

@7lenny7 The lot at 1.3 was where i was originally thinking of starting my route, but wanted to get to 11 miles. I really like the idea of starting there though, so if I want to cut it short, I can, but I can always loop around to get the full mileage.
    @MNLittleFinn Absolutely, go for it! Hills are great :p

Although I have to admit, I found my personal limit today! I wanted to try out a new trail, one that heads straight up the mountains, rather than the road winding up back and forth in gentler slopes. It turned out to be too steep for me :/ After it became clear hat I would have to talk the entire thing, I turned around and returned to running up the road instead, until I got to the forest trail that would lead me back down...
    Looking back, the "evil" bit that forced me to walk had an average slope of 22%. Which actually sounds pretty impressive to me, so now I don't feel so bad about walking anymore. Still, I guess that means I'm not quite ready for the fun race that @WhatMeRunning linked ^^

By the way, if you want to see the course map for a really scary trail run, take a look at the Ultra Trail Mont Blanc or one of the associated races, the PTL - like, seriously? There's trail running, and there is plain madness, and I know in which category that one falls!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

It comes from upbringing. The parents are probabaly idiots too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yau7Z3vMBo0
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    May 1 - 17 km run.
    May 3 - Light parkour 2 km run.
    May 5 - 8 km slow & gym.
    May 6 - 7.5 km slow & yoga.
    May 7 - skipped bike ride.
    May 8 - 19.2 km mixed. 6 km hike.
    May 9 - Rest
    May 10 - 8.3 km tempo
    May 11-18 - Rest & lost runs. Zero point zero.
    May 19 - 8.1 km fast. Two PRs

Total 70.1 km goal 120 km.

That long period of recovery and nothing served a purpose. Got it done.
    Hope you are all meeting your goals and having great races.

Reading Born to Run. It's entertaining so far.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I may need to visit dogoftheday now, you know because of... science?