May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @9voice9

I lost about 70 lbs so far since august. I try to eat as healthy as I can but I still cheat with meals but I think I had about 5 days where I went over calories. Basically if I eat bad stuff I log it and try to stay under maintainance calories. Which for me are around 2500. 3000 with exercise. It's really easy to undo a week with one day if you maintain a small deficit if you fall of the band wagon and start binging with a thousand calories extra. It's also really hard to stay under with bad food since it doesn't fill you up near enough as good food. I still eat pizza and stuff like that but I make my own pizza now. Learned how to cook a lot of stuff and I gave up on processed meats almost completely.

I did quit tracking in December though. I lost like 1 lbs I think in that month just calculating mentally so at least I know I won't be getting back up if I mind what I put in my mouth. Turns out after a lot of time tracking you kinda know what's what. But tracking makes it easier for me. No more worries.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 I started out at 305, down to 220 still need to drop 20-30. I don't do cheat days. Yes I will end up at the Pub on occasion and have beer/wings ( usually after a race ) but I log every thing ( guestimate on some things ). As soon as I allow cheat days/no logging days My calorie intake goes up and the lbs gone back on. At the dreaded plateau where you have to work a lot harder to lose the last pounds.

I do about 140 km a month = 35km /week about half of what you do.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options

exercise.png

May 3 1 mile wod
    May 7 1 mile wod

Is there anyway to post this thing in my profile?

May 11 1.75 miles (c25k w1d1)
    May 12 0.25 miles
    May 13 1.81 miles (c25k w1d2)

exercise.png

• bibiverm
    bibiverm Posts: 8 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    My knee hurts! Waaaaah! I was just walking the dog yesterday and suddenly my knee hurt and hasn't stopped. Not the same pain as previously. No clue what I did but 5 miles today is out of the question. Maybe tomorrow. I'm icing it since yesterday but so far it doesn't help.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1-4.12 miles
    5/2- Rest
    5/3- 5.01 miles
    5/4- 3.12 miles
    5/5- 5.1
    5/6- rest
    5/7- 8.44
    4/8-3.11
    4/9-REST much needed REST
    4/10- 5.1
    4/11-4.1
    5/12- 5.11
    5/13- Rest
    5/14- 10.02

Totals: 53.62/100

Notes on today's run: Today's assignment was to run a 90-105 minute Long Run. Nominal goal was to run 9-10 miles, since that would fall within the time limit using my LR range of 10:31-11:43. Here's how the run actually looked:

Mile 1: Mostly flat at 10:28...hhhmmm, this feels good, but it can't last, right?
    Mile 2: Net downhill at 10:21....Ok, that felt like a fluke, being downhill..
    Mile 3: easy slight up hill at 10:22....Um, OK, that still felt easy, but this won't last
    Mile4: Still a gradual uphill, and at 10:21.....Hm, maybe I can keep this pace, OK, goal is to maintain between 10:2- and 10:30 for as long as I can
    Mile 5: Rolling with a net downhill elevation at 10:23, still not too bad. Ate a Honeystinger Strawberry kiwi gel when I finished 5, not so much because I felt I needed it, but because on these longer runs, I'm experimenting with food.
    Mile 6: Rolling with a very slight net uphill at 10:22. Hey, I'm starting to feel a little tired
    Mile 7: Biggest Net uphill split but at 10:24....I don't feel fresh, but that wasn't bad! Maybe that Gel is kicking in!
    Mile 8 Net downhill, took it a little easy on myself at 10:20.
    Mile 9: Second slowest mile of the run at 10:26, but was throttling back a little for the hill that starts mile 10.
    Mile 10: OK, This hill sucks, but I'm gonna put the throttle to the firewall as much as I can. Split time: 9:50.

Just a note, There was a nice NNW wind at 17-11 MPH with gusts up to 20, so I caught a nice headwind or crosswind most of the run, the moments where it was more of a tail wind were great.

All in all, great run, new distance PR and, according to Strava, I ran my second best 10K time somewhere in there.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Just a quick update, I'll catch up on posts tomorrow. Hope you all have a happy weekend of running :)

2nd May - 3.06 miles
    3-4th May - poorlysick
    5th May - 2.40 miles
    8th May - 13.1 miles Hackney Half 2:05:24
    12th May - 3.27 miles
    14th May - 3.11 miles parkrun

MTD - 24.94/70 miles

Upcoming races:
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @louubelle16 glad to see you got your groove back!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @9voice9

Wow ... that's impressive weight loss. You, @AdrianChr92, @juliet3455 and others have accomplished so much and are holding on to those accomplishments. Way to go!

I've dropped the 25 pounds I needed to since starting the MFP challenges last July, but have to say the running was just part of it (an important part, helping me to establish a consistent calorie deficit). The other thing was eating better/smarter. I started doing a sort-of paleo thing, and gravitated more to the Wild Diet that Abel James and others blog about. That helped a lot. I then saw the "Fed Up" documentary, which motivated me to drop WAY down the amount of refined sugar and carbs I allow into my food choices. In both cases, going sort-of paleo and then dropping sugar, my weight shifted down to a new plateau.

When I was younger, I was a believer in the "Run enough and you'll burn anything, even Big Macs" school, but now am convinced that a mix of exercise and smart eating is the way to go.

Now if I could just drop the beer and bourbon, I'd be all set! :#
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @vandinem yea I gotta say that sugars, not the ones you get from fruit but still they count as sugars, I am talking about those things like high fructose corn syrup. Those are probably worse that drugs for out society. I also believe you can eat everything as long as you don't abuse it. Like a big Mac once every 2 weeks won't undo your good eating days. But a healthy meal once every 2 weeks won't do much if you eat bad all the time. Consistency is key. If you eat good you can get away with something evil every now and then
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @vandinem Oh didn't "Fed up" just outrage you!?

Kudos on the weight loss everyone! @AdrianChr92 @juliet3455 and @Orphia ! @WhatMeRunning is in there too. I'm sure there are others!

@greenolivetree aw good luck with that knee. Maybe it's hips? Or ITB?

@MobyCarp sorry about the tfl. Pro runner Lauren Fleshman says injury is part of training. I agree with @Ohhim , your sure to come out stronger and faster on the other side.

I may jinks it- I'm still losing weight on rest, or my scale is a prankster. 4 pounds in the 3 weeks I've been on my *kitten*. I'll admit I plan on a walk/try out the foot in stiffer trainers while my pup gets groomed today. Which I found out has heart worms :( . I wanted to put her down, DH says no. I haven't heard of any surviving treatment. But fingers crossed. Before we moved, we had chickens and the food attracted mice, the mice had fleas and we couldn't keep up on it. But then HW's are mosquito borne aren't they? I feel bad. She's such a sweet little thing. Maybe we caught it early enough.
  • Diantha21
    Diantha21 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    another 7.5 km again today after a week of illness and long hours...

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - To me, many of your early runs looks like a person sitting down--and the later ones, a person sitting down with a cat on his head...

LOL - yes it does.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Dying to hear how all the racers did today! Go MFPRC runners!

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling
    5/9 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/10 - 5 miles - fartleks
    5/11 - 25 miles cycling
    5/12 - 5 miles
    5/13 - 4 miles
    5/14 - 34 miles cycling

exercise.png
  • vandinem
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    May 03      4.2T     4.2  
    May 04      4.2T     8.4 
    May 06      5.1     13.5 
    May 07      8.2     21.7 
    May 08      5.6     27.3 
    May 09      4.2     31.5 
    May 11      6.5     38.0 
    May 13      5.0     43.0
    May 14     12.6     55.6

exercise.png

Long Slow Run today, and I should have headed out earlier ... the heat caught up with me and I had to walk a few times.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Elise4270 losing weight on rest? Keep that going!
    @Diantha21 Good running!
    @ddmom0811 nice Ride!
    @4leighbee Nice Run! Pretty surroundings!
    @vandinem Great run! Running in the heat sucks! Walking is fine in my book, if it helps get through the run/workout, go for it!
    @WhatMeRunning I predict a sub 2:15:00 HM for you in the near future, then more and better things to come! Keep up the good work!
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 4m
    5/3 - 5m
    5/4 - 6m
    5/5 - rest
    5/6 - 5m
    5/7 - 10m :D
    5/8 - rest
    5/9 - 3.8m
    5/10 - 3.5m
    5/11 - 7m
    5/12 - rest
    5/13 - 3m

5/14 - 6.2m

Distance to date: 53.5m
    Goal: 126m (42.4% complete)

[/quote]
  • vandinem
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks! Yeah, I'm OK with a little walking as needed. Although on my second walking break, the team coach for the one marathon I've run drove by, rolled down her window, and yelled, "Why the hell aren't you RUNNING?!" Timing is everything.

@WhatMeRunning Nice work on the PR! Just love those runs when it all comes together.