May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    First off, Happy Mothers Day to all of the moms out there!

Congrats to all who raced this weekend! I've noticed quite a few!

Welcome to the new faces!

So I was unsure last night about the wisdom of attempting 10.5 miles today to make up for lost mileage after a week of crappy runs. After all, if someone else posted here with those issues I would recommend some down time.:smile:

So part of my common sense said don't do it, but another part said the data did not support the idea of me being worn down (HR, sleep, mood, energy levels during day, etc). My gut instinct also was telling me I was capable.

I woke up feeling very good. So I headed out to run. I noticed I was running easily, not sore or stiff but I kept my pace down over the first couple miles to be safe. I wound up cranking out all 10.5 miles feeling good, and finally satisfied after a run.

So, I guess the lesson is to use as much info as possible to guide your decisions. In this case the data and my gut were able to convince my uncertain common sense to get out and put in the miles, and it paid off.

5/1 - 13.1 miles
    5/2 - 6 miles
    5/3 - 6 miles
    5/4 - 9 miles
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/6 - Rest
    5/7 - 10.5 miles
    5/8 - 10.5 miles

61.1/200 miles

exercise.png

2016 races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 new PR
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - that is awesome! (the whole post, that is). :smile: Skippy is so adorable. Happy Mother's Day!
    @AdrianChr92 - I can't believe you ran in that hail!
    @WhatMeRunning - hope you feel more energized this week!
    @9voice9 - That does sound like a great cause. But, yeah, a little crazy that it was so unorganized.

5/1 - 35 mile cycling
    5/2 - 5 miles
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles - intervals, sort of.
    5/5 - 25 miles cycling in a brutal wind
    5/6 - 5 miles
    5/7 - 34 miles cycling
    5/8 - 36 miles cycling

exercise.png

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift Thanks! It was intense! My next marathon that will have a proper program is going to be Rock n roll Vegas in November. My next race is a 50k in 4wks. Will be running it pretty slow/easy. Prob just by feel. First 50k, so I'm going to enjoy it. 5hrs, 6hrs. Fine by me.

Nice run today! Are you shooting for a Half PR on you're next race?

@MNLittleFinn Awesome of you to pace you're mom to a PR! Nice run!

Update on me: Everything tightened up to the max overnight and it took about 20mins of work to get my legs to stand up. Walking is ok. Sitting down and standing up and stairs are REALLY bad though. All i'm doing is eating everything in sight and watching tv. Still down 8lbs this morning lol. And that's after a 5500 cal post race lunch/dinner. Going for 6000cal today. Working hard to restore everything. Hope everyone has a great day! Run for me!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    May 1 - 17 km run.
    May 3 - Light parkour 2 km run.
    May 5 - 8 km slow & gym.
    May 6 - 7.5 km slow & yoga.
    May 7 - skipped bike ride.
    May 8 - 19.2 km mixed. 6 km hike.

Total 53.7 km goal 120 km.

Morning run and it was cool enough then that I couldn't get my HR up to where I wanted for the first 5 km. Well, shouldn't have worried, after 12-13 km riding a high and feeling great I overheated a few times. And at the end I did not go for an even HM. We had a meeting for hike and I was running late. Still, it was a great run - discovered new paths and regions of the forest. A lot of planned slow running, a little tempo stuff and a few walks to get my HR back down when needed.

The hike, after the run, was harder. Kept it slow and am now going to spend the next hour rolling my legs and butt. <delicious pain>

Edit: oh, yeah, strava reports a 10 mile PR - I'm not happy about this because given the amount of walking, I should have had a better 10 mile before.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ROBOTFOOD wow 8 pounds! I'm usually up a few post race. You killed the training.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @ROBOTFOOD wow 8 pounds! I'm usually up a few post race. You killed the training.

It was 11lb yesterday! I loose ridiculously easy. And I trained ok. Not for the race though. I should have ran all my long runs on the course. Then I would've been fine.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So, today was my second half marathon of the year and *wow*. It was, without a doubt, the hardest thing I have ever done. The weather was absolutely horrendous, we've had such a sudden heatwave here in the UK, with temperatures at 26°C, which is nearly twice as hot as it should be for this time of year (it would normally be about 15°C), and this has only come on over the last 2 days. No-one running today could have prepared for it, and no amount of extra water and shower-sprays on course was going to make it any better. I actually cried at the mile 11 marker because I really thought it was mile 12 and the thought of having to run for another 18-20 minutes was just too much. All I could think of was that I couldn't stop running because that would make it last even longer and I couldn't stay out there any longer. Plus, I thought I had some supporters at mile 11 but they weren't there and that was just too much.

My feet are shredded (I haven't had more than 1 blister ever before today) from my feet having swollen up and my shoes having gotten wet from all the water being sprayed/thrown around, I have sunburn, despite having put SPF50 on when I got dressed, and I very nearly threw up when I passed the finish line. It was such a mental struggle to get through, it was a battle of endurance, not necessarily physical training. Oddly enough, my legs actually feel fine.

I have never seen anything like the number of people who were passed out on the sides of the road. I saw the first person collapsed and being treated by the volunteer ambulance crews at mile 5 (and he was unconscious, not injured) and by the time we got to mile 10, the streets were lined with people being seen to by members of the public because the medical teams were so overstretched. At mile 10, there was a medical treatment tent and there was a queue of people, lying in the recovery position, outside of it waiting to be seen. Honestly, St John's Ambulance, the voluntary medical/ambulance charity here in the UK, were the real unsung heroes of the whole event because they were working their absolute backsides off. I am sure that, without them, there could have been a lot of fatalities there today. I think that I must have seen over 100 people being treated, most of them passed out, not injured.

I have to say, if that had been my first and only half marathon experience, I can't say that I would ever put my running shoes on again. It was absolutely horrible from start to finish. I even have a time I can actually be proud of, as I was only 40seconds behind my PB, but I cannot possibly enjoy it because it was just so thoroughly unpleasant. I hope no-one running today was put off. It's definitely put me off racing for a while, I did think a few 10kms in the summer might be in order but absolutely no way after that. I'm hanging up my racing shoes until the autumn.

Also, the race was far too big for my liking. It was just SO busy the whole way through, the water stations couldn't give the water out fast enough, and you were constantly ducking and weaving to get through or past people. It started 15 minutes late too, the corrals were SO big, there were nearly 5000 people in each one, by my reckoning (as there were hardly any people in the 1:15-1:30 and the other 15,000 people were split into the other 3 times). Also, they shut the speakers off with all the motivational music etc at the 2:30 mark, even though it took me 15 minutes to get over the start line, my race time therefore being nearly 2:20, so there were loads behind me who had no support or encouragement. So, all in all, I wouldn't do it again, even in good weather. I'll stick to my small, local, rural races from now on :)

So yeah, an absolutely horrible day and one I cannot wait to forget! Seriously, even looking at the medal makes me feel angry right now.

2nd May - 3.06 miles
    3-4th May - poorlysick
    5th May - 2.40 miles
    8th May - 13.1 miles Hackney Half 2:05:24

MTD - 18.56/70 miles

Upcoming races:
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon

EDIT: I forgot to add another detail to my race report:

At the first half a mile, some idiot in a white mercedes drove onto the closed course with 15,000 runners. The course marshals tried to stop him but he kept on going, revving his engine and beeping his horn, so the marshals dragged him out of his car and there was a fight.

I mean, this couldn't have been any more ridiculous!
  • louubelle16
    Options
    Now time to procrastinate from writing an essay catch up on everyone's posts :)

@MNLittleFinn - well done to your Mum! That’s a huge difference from what she was aiming for, even more awesome!

@MLS1582 - Congrats on finishing your first 10km! I agree with what others have said, that wouldn’t have been dead last at any other 10km race I’ve run so don’t let it get you down. It sounds like you entered a real serious race so well done for doing it, I think that would have freaked me out and I would have gone home!

@ROBOTFOOD - Congratulations on your marathon! I bet you’ll smash your goals next time, if you did so well with a less-than perfect lead-up :)

@Orphia - I love that photo! I don’t think I would have that much energy after smashing a PB!

@9voice9 - I cannot believe how bad that race sounds! I hope you didn’t spend too much on entry?

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 Congrats on finishing your race! That sounds like pretty hellish conditions. I'd be tempted to throw the towel in and cut it short or not start even at all. And that's a huge HM! 15000 people?! A little big for my taste. Definite kudos to the medical team, sounds like they had their hands full!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    Options
    @louubelle16 Wow!! That sounded brutal! I hate heat running! And I live in Vegas haha. But great job pushing through that! I hope you get some nice, cold weather for you're next race!

@_nikkiwolf_ Race recap of the year goes to you! Love the detail! I felt like I was there! Awesome job on the PR!
  • louubelle16
    Options
    I just found out on Facebook that, about 15 minutes later after I finished the course, they stopped it and made everyone else walk with all timing stopped. Madness!

Congrats @_nikkiwolf_, that's a great time! And so glad you enjoyed it :) Sounds like you battled the heat today too.

I'm starting to think that racing after the first couple of weeks of April is to be avoided from now on...
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

It was 11lb yesterday! I loose ridiculously easy. And I trained ok. Not for the race though. I should have ran all my long runs on the course. Then I would've been fine.

I think when my foot heals I'm gonna "run" 4 hours once a month and see if I can lose 8-11 pounds! #BeLikeROBOTFOOD!

Least this time off has helped me eat better. Can't really afford fries, pizza, and burgers not running.

Oooh! Congratulations @_nikkiwolf_ !
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    May 03      4.2T     4.2  
    May 04      4.2T     8.4 
    May 06      5.1     13.5 
    May 07      8.2     21.7 
    May 08      5.6     27.3 

exercise.png
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Another 4 miles today in this ridiculous heat, not impressed :(
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @louubelle16 holy hell! An idiot driver on the course! So glad they took care of him!
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    5/01: 6 miles, easy
    5/02: 6 miles, easy
    5/03: Off, rest day + strength training
    5/04: 5 miles, easy
    5/05: Off, rest day
    5/06: 6 miles, tempo
    5/07: 5 miles, easy
    5/08: 10 miles, long and slow
    Total: 38 miles

Nice 10 miler today! Looks like your girl is finally back on track :)

@MNLittleFinn - what an awesome way to spend Mother's Day! Great picture too
    @louubelle16 - WOW that sounds like such a hard race! Awful conditions. I'm laughing about that guy driving on the course, it's pretty funny to imagine. Congratulations on pushing through and making it to the finish line!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Congratulations on your first half marathon! A great finish time too, and it's always nice to exceed your own expectations. Well done!

exercise.png

Races I'm registered for:
    05/22 - Chicago Spring 13.1
    05/28 - Soldier Field Run (10 miles)
    07/21 - Esprit de She 5K
    09/10 - Magnificent Mile Half Marathon
    09/25 - Chicago Lifetime 5K
    10/09 - Chicago Marathon
    10/30 - Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27 - Space Coast Half Marathon
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @louubelle16 and @_nikkiwolf_ on your half marathons!

Fascinating reading your reports, since I hope to do one fairly soon.
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I finally ran (I don't post much here. Got hit by a car two months ago today and broke my collarbone and couple ribs) so I feel like I can post in here again haha. Been feeling well enough to run for a few weeks but I couldn't muster the ooomph to get out and do it. I've been on the bike, but running is just harder for me mentally.

2 miles today. Ate pizza and cake a couple hours ago. Ugh. Even though it's a small start I feel really good about it. It's been a rough couple months so it's nice to feel like I'm almost back to my old self.

Hope everyone is doing well in here. Looks like people have been kicking *kitten* in all sorts of summer running events. Great job! I think I'm going to scour the Chicago events in June and give myself something to train for. Anyway, it's GREAT to be back!

May Goal - 60 Miles

5/8 - 2 Miles