May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays I fixed the whole water in my eyes with a cap. You can even find waterproof caps which are great as they keep your head dry.

Did it anyway today, 4 km of easy running. Leg pain finally was defeated. I had more pain from the squats that I did yesterday but it was good pain, muscle soreness. Guess my body decided that is more important :) . It started to rain in the second part of the run which was nice since I got cooled down and it felt great

So I did 13 km, maybe 15-17 if I manage to run tomorrow for this week. It's really hard to not run a lot and judging by my heart rate my fitness level suffered at the same pace. Can't wait to get back to my usual mileage though I'll increase slowly to about 35 km per week then stay there a while.

Also my race was delayed for tomorrow. It was a free 6.7k for the veterans of WWII but 2 Romanian soldiers died today in Afghanistan and they decided to postpone it

..Date.....Distance
    May 01 - rest
    May 02 - 4.1 km
    May 03 - rest
    May 04 - rest
    May 05 - 5 km
    May 06 - rest
    May 07 - 4.1 km

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    ??/??: VeterRUN 6.7k

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Oh no, sounds like a horribly organised race! Changing the course without priour announcement, and only registering the time for the first 3 runners to finish? I hope you didn't pay a big registration fee for that!
    $27.50. But honestly - it's for a good cause. It's for helping folks either re-enter society after incarceration, or by funding a special court that allows folks to avoid incarceration for certain types of crimes or circumstances. In general, as long as it's going to a good place, I'm okay with fees - I just want it to be a good race experience!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 What an awful, miserable, no good race. I have avoided races that seem gimmicky (color runs, foam runs, Sundae runs, etc.) because I don't want more crap landing on me when I'm already sweaty--but I've thought glow runs sounded fun. Maybe not, though!
    I've done *a* color run (it was okay, but the colored cornstarch won't stay in/on the shirt, so it's kinda pointless), and another local glow run a couple times. That one is pretty fun - a big crowd, bands at some points on the course, well-marked/well-lit, etc. But 6 PM in May? Sun's still up!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

exercise.png

May 3 1 mile wod
    May 7 1 mile wod

Is there anyway to post this thing in my profile?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I see people with these lists of races they're slogging through and wonder how on earth anybody can afford the registration costs for all these things. lol
    I'm not saying it was easy, but I looked for discounts and signed up early for the best fees. I save for races and clothes. I buy shoes with any windfalls.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Like mother like son....just bought my mom a pair of Ghost 8 for Mother's Day
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm at 25.79 miles after today's run
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I'm at 25.79 miles after today's run

@mnlittlefinn I'm going to run around the block LOL!!!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I see people with these lists of races they're slogging through and wonder how on earth anybody can afford the registration costs for all these things. lol

I spend all my money on shoes and entry fees. Things like food, mortgage payments, utilities, kids, non-running clothes, etc. are highly overrated.

I'm cheap. I couldn't pass up a deal of 3 half marathons and a full for $250 if I registered early. That's how I ended up committed to a half 6 days after Boston, which turned out to be a really Bad Idea, even if I did win my age group in the half.

Oh, and where does the money come from? No cable or satellite TV subscription, since I don't have time to watch TV and support my running habit both. For the annual cost of cable TV, I can pay an awful lot of entry fees.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That is a really good deal @MobyCarp ... Cloudsplitter alone is $200... I will have close to $600 tied up in entry fees this year... :|
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    4 miles today, really hot and muggy. Not an enjoyable run at all. Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to next winter?!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Okay, my race list isn't as crazy as that of others, only one in March and one in April so far; but the entry fee for those was something roughly equivalent to 20 USD each. Kind of in the same league as going to see a movie(incl. snacks), or a night out with a few (not many) drinks. And I know plenty of people who don't think a night out once or twice per month is an extreme luxury, so if I'd rather spend that money on a race entry, I don't feel the least bit guilty.
    I've observed that large races tend to be more expensive; my most expensice race ever will be the half I'm running tomorrow, which was something like 60$. But some of that is for a good cause, I got a tech shirt, a bag, a sweat band and free public transport for the day included in the inscription, and such an expensive race is an exception for me. The next half I'm thinking about would be for 35$ in June, but I won't sign up for that before I completed my first ;)

@MLS1582 In the 10k I ran in April (my only 10 so far, so I looked at the results of that one), you would not have been dead last with that time. There would have been 43 runners slower than you - the last one finished in 1:24:06. Are you sure they directed you to cut the last corner? That sounds really weird! I remember we had a discussion on course lengths in the challenge last month, it seems too short races happened to a lot of us already. In any case, an 11:10 pace over 6 miles is really great, well done!

@skippygirlsmom You and Skip did great! Age group placements for both of you, wow! Love the photo :)

• Anabbee
    Anabbee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't had time to catch up on everyone's posts, but hope to do so later today.

I have had a good couple of days since I last checked in. On Friday I did a hill walk, and I ran (slowly) some of the uphill, using my heart rate as a guide of when to walk again. I won't put that in my month count, because it wouldn't have even been a km of running.

Yesterday I did my first 'park run'! How cool. I think it was also the first time I've run a whole 5km! I was just under 38 minutes which i was really happy with.

May 1 No run
    May 2 3km run
    May 3 Sick! Cold!
    May 4 Sick! rest!
    May 5 2km
    May 6 Hill walk...small amount of running
    May 7 5km!!!

Total: Run 10km/ 50 km
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    MLS1582 wrote: »
    I ran my first 10K race today. I came in dead last, while running a pace that was a full minute faster than I had planned (because I was last). Officially, I finished in 1:07:18, but I think they directed me to cut the last corner (like cut it off entirely) because my watch only had me doing an even 6 miles. I'm really torn - I feel like crap for finishing last and being so slow they had me drop almost a quarter mile just to get me across the finish line, but I'm also really freaking proud to have run 6 miles at an 11:10 pace! I will not be running this race again - ever.

I'm currently at 20 of 94 miles for the month.

Here's a few things I think you might need to hear:

1:07:18 won't be dead last in a lot of 10Ks
    . You must have had a field full of non-casual runners.

Dead Last Finish beats Did Not Finish. Did Not Finish beats Did Not Start.

That's unusual that you'd be last at that time. 6 miles in an hour is pretty good. My 10k pr is 1:04. You should be very proud of that time! Congratulations!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @poppetsmaster here's a race for you http://www.businessinsider.com/lazarus-lake-invented-barkley-marathons-2016-5

@mls1582 holy crap I can't believe you ran a 10K in 1:07 and were last you definitely were running with some beyong crazy fast people. Don't you dare feel like crap, you did awesome!!!! Plus everything Mobycarp said!

@_nikkiwolf_ thanks!
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    May 03      4.2T     4.2  
    May 04      4.2T     8.4 
    May 06      5.1     13.5 
    May 07      8.2     21.7 

exercise.png
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Okay, I've finished all preparations for my race tomorrow (including five minutes spent freaking out because I couldn't find my fuel belt, and probably even longer trying to decide what kind of chocolate to pack for after the race).
    It's my first big race, and I was a little overwhelmed. My other races so far were all "show up an hour early and collect your bib in the sports club / school / parking lot". For this one, you had to collect it one or two days in advance; and they set up a real "marathon village" with a race expo and everything! Actually, they took over the complete English Garden in the city centre, and scattered expo stands and porta-pottys all over it :D

zrklya1j7ojs.jpg

After collecting the bib, everyone was funneled out through a maze of sales stands. I was seduced into buying a new sports bra, but I stayed strong in face of everything else - including the "energy cakes"! I had never heard of such a thing, but here they were, sitting right next to the gels. Almond, chocolate, caramell - I'm pretty sure any regular chocolate cake has as many carbs for a fraction of the price, but I was still tempted a little bit...
    pxx4cygskxbo.jpg

• MLS1582
    MLS1582 Posts: 71 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @MobyCarp @Elise4270 @_nikkiwolf_ @skippygirlsmom
    Thank you! I did need to hear all of that! I wish there were a better way for race organizers to clue people in to the pace/culture of any given race. If I'd realized how fast this race would be, I'd have chosen a different one for my first 10K. Having a polite, smiling police officer say, "Go ahead and just cut across here; we're picking up the cones behind you," was a major blow to my self-esteem as runner!
    I have another 10K at the end of June, and I'm hoping it will be a better experience. (It's a 5k, 10k and HM, so I KNOW I won't be last!) :smiley: