May 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Oh, because of timing, and stuff, If I decide to try a full next year, I'm eyeing the Lake Wobegon
    Then you better start practicing "holding it" for hours now.... I think @7lenny7 has the the training routine for that.

That would be nice...since he just ran it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Oh, because of timing, and stuff, If I decide to try a full next year, I'm eyeing the Lake Wobegon
    Then you better start practicing "holding it" for hours now.... I think @7lenny7 has the the training routine for that.

I have heard that you're not a real runner is you haven't pooped in hole.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So I went to seek out and sign up for some trail half's to fill in the gaps in my schedule. I managed to limit myself to only signing up for one new race. I'm so happy I kept myself within reason like that! :smile:

So it's a 50k, which will be my first 50k. It's on July 23rd which is always hot and miserably humid in this part of the country. It's rocky and hilly (6900 feet of elevation gain), with the non-rocky parts being sufficiently rooty and most of the eye-pokers and noggin-bonkers removed, but they say the remaining ones will have some pink tape on them. They are also predicting it to be a bit muddy due to the enormous amounts of precipitation we have had so far this year. They also say to be prepared to use your hands and feet simultaneously.

Yeah, add all that up and it should be so miserable...I think I'm gonna love it!!! :love:

Have fun, I saw up close this year, as support crew, what the Transcanaria does to people.

(I'm in.)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - As a second generation programmer my dad and I have chatted a lot about the impact of the modern digital world. It seems pretty inescapable that people's intelligence and drive to learn has suffered from it when any information you could ever need is available at your fingertips without ever having to learn or memorize anything. It's kind of sad how this all came to be due to great intelligence, and to further knowledge, yet the impact seems counter to the desired effect.

How's your Latin, slide rule use and soldering skills?

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Except for the soldering part. I have mad soldering skills.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Not a real trail runner anyway...
  • Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I did 18 miles so far this week 7 miles of it was my first trail run. Hated it im definetely more of an indoor girl !
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

Not a real trail runner anyway...
    Hmmm...guess I better add this on my training runs.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »
    I did 18 miles so far this week 7 miles of it was my first trail run. Hated it im definetely more of an indoor girl !

Hey, kitten... we will make you a trail runner yet!
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 4m
    5/3 - 5m
    5/4 - 6m
    5/5 - weights
    5/6 - 5m
    5/7 - 10m :D
    5/8 - rest
    5/9 - 3.8m
    5/10 - 3.5m
    5/11 - 7m
    5/12 - weights
    5/13 - 3m
    5/14 - 6.2m
    5/15 - rest
    5/16 - 4m

5/17 - 6m
    5/18 - 7m ****breaking in new shoes: Asics Gel Nimbus 17s
    5/19 - weights [/i]
    5/20 - 6m

Distance to date: 76.5m
    Goal: 126m (60.7% complete)

Training Plan (in case anyone is interested)
    coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats @kimlight2!!
  • Zom_bunny
    Zom_bunny Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Zom_bunny wrote: »

Hey, kitten... we will make you a trail runner yet!

We have had this discussion darling it was my first and last trail run. You trail run and I will wait at the finish for you . I will be in my natural air conditioned habitat buying pretty dresses. Just be content I am running to impress you
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing posts about runners having to "break in" new shoes... in my opinion if you have to "break in" new shoes, you have the wrong damn shoe. I have never had to "break in" a shoe... all of mine are race ready out of the box...

I agree that running shoes don't have to be broken in, but I do think it's wise to test each pair out on a shorter run before going on a longer run. Issues can pop up with individual pairs of shoes, even in models you've never had an issue with, that can be caught with a short run

I have such a pair myself. I want to rest them in another run or two but I put them aside until after my race.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    My legs are mush after 40 min of total body strength training and lower body pilates. Been slacking on weights in favor of pilates so I may feel this tomorrow.

@kimlight2 Good job :) I'm sure the heat didn't help any. Yay for no hip pain!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Random middle of training plan thought...How do you choose which shoes to wear on race day? I have my 10k coming up in 3 weeks and my HM in 6, and am already thinking about which shoes to wear....
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Canoes are tin death-traps...

Holy crap, what happened to your face?!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Legs were pretty dead today, so just stuck to a few hours of hiking, and got in a 2.5 miles en route to the gym/warming up there to get my mileage back to an integer. Planning a reasonable mid-distance run tomorrow, a longer run Sunday (with friends), and hopefully enough miles on Monday-Friday to knock out my total before returning to hot/humid Florida.

5/1 - 26.2 miles (Pittsburgh Marathon - 3:08:25 - 7:11/mile, ran as bib #666 in full devil costume, got a BQ)
    5/5 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 15 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - 3 miles
    5/12 - 2 miles
    5/13 - 4.5 miles
    5/14 - 6 miles
    5/15 - 3 miles
    5/17 - 11 miles
    5/18 - 10 miles
    5/19 - 11 miles
    5/20 - 2.5 miles

Total: 106 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 74 miles

Next Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Chicago Marathon - October
    Ironman Florida - November

@ddmom0811 - Running in icky humidity sucks. That's why I'm trying to wrap up my mileage here before returning to the hot south late next week. My primary driver for switching to Heart Rate based training plans (via my garmin watch) is that once the humidity gets into the 90%+ range, trying to hit anything resembling a fast sounding pace during speedwork sessions becomes next to impossible.

@whatmerunning - I'm not sure I could suffer through something like the 50k race you are describing. I suspect I'd survive, but I'd be pissed off at my race time. I'm perfectly happy meandering through lots of fun crazy elevation profile trails when training (as about 60% of my mileage up north here in Pittsburgh is on trails), but at race speed I'd be continuously twisting and pulling all sorts of ligaments out of whack and the ongoing internal debate about if I should be stopping to yank the pebbles/splitners/caked mud/stones out of my shoes would drive me crazy.

@mnlittlefinn - When my BMI was still in the obese/overweight range, my race shoe selection came down to which shoes were my favorites for running, and had under 200 miles on them (as the support came into play later in races). Now that I'm at racing weight, I've pretty much started doing all of my races in racing flats (Asics DS racer 10s), as the 7oz shoe weight is just way too hard to pass up, the support from that model is pretty decent, and I use them for most of my speedwork sessions as well.