Replies

• brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    do i look jewish?
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm about 1/8th Jewish, and I think you can tell by my nose. My grandmother on my Dad's side descended from the Ashkenazi Jews. They're known for two things: a) interbreeding and b) extreme intelligence. At least I know where I get my smarts! ;-) Ha!

I think familial research is pretty cool. You should look into it!

Lol, I used to date Ashkenazi Jew. He was gorgeous and extremely smart. But an *kitten*. :)
  • YaGigi
    Options
    So I've been told several times either on the "Guess the Ethnicity of the person above you" or in the "Celebrity Look-a-like" that I look Jewish.

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

I'm not Jewish, but am not complaining either looking Jewish is more useful to get on Broadway than looking "Mexican".

I'm Spanish + French/Basque Mix, born in Mexico.

Yes, you look Jewish to me. The fact that you are Spanish French Basque doesn't mean you never had any Jews in your family. France and Spain have many Jews.

Though you do look French too.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My first thought was Mediterranean. But mostly hot. :love:

I'm going to second that... especially with the beard! hoho :bigsmile:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You could pass for a Jew, what woulda tipped me off though was your name.....Suarez ain't Jewish.

I've met a few JewRicans with Spanish last names. :wink:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So I've been told several times either on the "Guess the Ethnicity of the person above you" or in the "Celebrity Look-a-like" that I look Jewish.

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

I'm not Jewish, but am not complaining either looking Jewish is more useful to get on Broadway than looking "Mexican".

I'm a Spanish + Basque Mix, Mexican, born in France. And Polish/Jewish too.
    Do you look like me?

The stereotypes ...
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

Yes, you look Jewish to me. The fact that you are Spanish French Basque doesn't mean you never had any Jews in your family. France and Spain have many Jews.

Though you do look French too.
    Yeah it could be possible, I am planning to do my research hehe.
  • RodSuarez
    Options
    My first thought was Mediterranean. But mostly hot. :love:

I'm going to second that... especially with the beard! hoho :bigsmile:

hehe <3
  • YaGigi
    Options
    I can't tell someone's ethnicity by looking at them, although I can say if they have archaic traits, e.g. if they look slightly neanderthal or if they have Homo erectus cheekbones or something. That's probably from being a palaeoanthroplogy nerd.

my dad's mum's mum's mum was Jewish, and I've been told in the past that I look Jewish, but since I've lived in the Arab world and I attempt to speak Arabic (albeit badly), I've been told I look Lebanese, Syrian, Jordanian and/or Palestinian. Personally I think of the pic posted earlier in the thread to illustrate the "Jewish nose" that this nose looks very Saudi, i.e. I've seen many Saudis with this nose shape. I can't tell the difference between Arabs and Jews just by looking, except by distinctive clothing, e.g. in the Gulf you know if someone's Saudi by the fact they're wearing a white thobe plus red and white Saudi shmagh (different nationalities have different style shmaghs and some ethnic groups, e.g. bedouin, wear them in a distinctive way)

Saudi man with a similar nose shape to the man in the earlier pic:

4535398714_9610cff658.jpg

Actually, there's almost no ethnical difference between Arabs, especially saudi, and Jews, only culture and religion. Historically, Jews and Arabs have one ancestor, sometimes called as the Biblical Abraham (or Ibrahim).
    Arabs and Jews are both Semites so obviously should look alike.
  • RodSuarez
    Options

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

Do you look like me?

The stereotypes ...
    I don't think we look a like. -High 5 for the Spanish + Basque- most people don't even know what Basque is.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

Do you look like me?

The stereotypes ...
    I don't think we look a like. -High 5 for the Spanish + Basque- most people don't even know what Basque is.

That's the point - trying to pin a culture or ethnicity to a look is a weak exercise. I don't know what Basque "is" exactly either - Nortasuna ez du begirada bat, hizkuntza bat, etnia bat edo leku zentzu bat datoz?
  • RodSuarez
    Options

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

Do you look like me?

The stereotypes ...

That's the point - trying to pin a culture or ethnicity to a look is a weak exercise. I don't know what Basque "is" exactly either - Nortasuna ez du begirada bat, hizkuntza bat, etnia bat edo leku zentzu bat datoz?

I don't speak Euskera, my mother's family hated the Basque/French grandfather, therefore my Grandma never taught French or Euskera to her children, and they never wanted to learn it... and still nobody in my family has learnt french ever since. Fun fact: my speech counselor said my accent (both in english and spanish) had traces of the Basque ancestry.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You look handsome no matter what ethnic origin people assume you are from.
  • tngirl37
    tngirl37 Posts: 11
    Options
    I think you do look Jewish.
    :smooched:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Jewish for me is more of a religious or cultural affinity than simply an ethnicity, same with Arab.

I agree, eres un bombon.
  • tngirl37
    tngirl37 Posts: 11
    Options
    It really does not matter.....my motto is "live and let live"
  • chelcdub
    chelcdub Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Not really
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    ya
  • YaGigi
    Options
    Jewish for me is more of a religious or cultural affinity than simply an ethnicity, same with Arab.

I agree, eres un bombon.

You're incorrect. Youre confusing ethnicity and religion. We are talking about ethnicity here when answering if he looks like a Jew.

To be a Jew you got to be born by a Jew mother, it's not simply about religion. My best friend is Jew and he's married to a not Jew, therefore his kids are not Jews. He feels really bad about this and some stupid people even make fun of him that such a great Jew has goy kids.

And Arabs are deinately not about religion. Arabs can be Muslims, Christians and Jewish too.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options