Do I look Jewish?

Options

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Since when are Jews an ethnicity? That's a religion!

It's like if you asked someone if you look like a Chrsitian....

I am thinking since a few thousand years BC .
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So I've been told several times either on the "Guess the Ethnicity of the person above you" or in the "Celebrity Look-a-like" that I look Jewish.

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

I'm not Jewish, but am not complaining either looking Jewish is more useful to get on Broadway than looking "Mexican".

I'm Spanish + French/Basque Mix, born in Mexico.

I'm a Spanish + Basque Mix, Mexican, born in France. And Polish/Jewish too.
    Do you look like me?

The stereotypes ...
    I don't think we look a like. -High 5 for the Spanish + Basque- most people don't even know what Basque is.

That's the point - trying to pin a culture or ethnicity to a look is a weak exercise. I don't know what Basque "is" exactly either - Nortasuna ez du begirada bat, hizkuntza bat, etnia bat edo leku zentzu bat datoz?

I don't speak Euskera, my mother's family hated the Basque/French grandfather, therefore my Grandma never taught French or Euskera to her children, and they never wanted to learn it... and still nobody in my family has learnt french ever since. Fun fact: my speech counselor said my accent (both in english and spanish) had traces of the Basque ancestry.

Translation:Does an identity come from a look, a language, an ethnicity or from a sense of place?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You do look a little like Sasha Baron Cohen when he's not in character.

It's funny. My father is Jewish but my mother isn't. I get my curly hair from my mother's side and I have her father's German/Swedish nose, but a lot of people tell me they can tell I'm Jewish before they know anything about me. Everyone else thinks I'm Irish. (I'm not.)
  • rml_16
    Options
    Since when are Jews an ethnicity? That's a religion!

It's like if you asked someone if you look like a Chrsitian....

I am thinking since a few thousand years BC .
    It is an ethnicity. There are even certain genetic issues tied to Jewish heritage, like black people are more prone to sickle cell anemia. You won't find that Christians as a group have those kinds of genetic traits.

However, Jewish is also a religion that anyone can convert to and practice.
  • amsky
    amsky Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You cannot look *JEWISH* ....GEEZ!

It's a religion people!

Really...Does anyone say you look *Christian*???

Jewish people can be White, Black , Hispanic , etc.
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    So I've been told several times either on the "Guess the Ethnicity of the person above you" or in the "Celebrity Look-a-like" that I look Jewish.

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

I'm not Jewish, but am not complaining either looking Jewish is more useful to get on Broadway than looking "Mexican".

I'm a Spanish + Basque Mix, Mexican, born in France. And Polish/Jewish too.
    Do you look like me?

The stereotypes ...
    I don't think we look a like. -High 5 for the Spanish + Basque- most people don't even know what Basque is.

That's the point - trying to pin a culture or ethnicity to a look is a weak exercise. I don't know what Basque "is" exactly either - Nortasuna ez du begirada bat, hizkuntza bat, etnia bat edo leku zentzu bat datoz?

I don't speak Euskera, my mother's family hated the Basque/French grandfather, therefore my Grandma never taught French or Euskera to her children, and they never wanted to learn it... and still nobody in my family has learnt french ever since. Fun fact: my speech counselor said my accent (both in english and spanish) had traces of the Basque ancestry.

Translation:Does an identity come from a look, a language, an ethnicity or from a sense of place?
    It doesn't. But I was bored enough to make the topic, and figure out why people would think that... now I know they think my nose is big oh god lol
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options

It's a religion people!

I don't know any black jews. Jews are an ethnic group who used to share a religion. I know Jews who don't practice Judaism.
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean and its a yes.
  • amsky
    amsky Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I am Jewish ...It's my religion ...I am an American.

I look American. Cause I am.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Jewish for me is more of a religious or cultural affinity than simply an ethnicity, same with Arab.

I agree, eres un bombon.

You're incorrect. Youre confusing ethnicity and religion. We are talking about ethnicity here when answering if he looks like a Jew.

To be a Jew you got to be born by a Jew mother, it's not simply about religion. My best friend is Jew and he's married to a not Jew, therefore his kids are not Jews. He feels really bad about this and some stupid people even make fun of him that such a great Jew has goy kids.

And Arabs are deinately not about religion. Arabs can be Muslims, Christians and Jewish too.
    Nope you're the one whose confused. Jew or Jewish is a person whose religion is Judaism, it doesn't matter if you practice it or not. I'm baptized Christian and while I believe in God but I don't believe in some of the man-made doctrines of my church so I don't practice it that much but that doesn't make me any less of a Christian. Just like Muslims and Christians, you simply can't look like Jewish. There are White Jews, Black Jews, Latino Jews, Asian Jews, Arab Jews.

Ethnicity on the other hand refers to your ethnic background relating to the culture of the country of your origin for example French, English, Spanish, Japanese, Italian etc. Latino and Arab are considered ethnicities because they share a common language or cultural practices.

I know about Arabs independent of religion which is why I said its either religious or cultural affinity. I met some Christian Arabs too. However Arab is not an ethnicity.

What the OP meant is if he "look Jewish" which in this case is there is no such thing as looking Jewish.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I've also been asked in real life, if I am:

Greek
    Brasilian
    French or Spanish (which I am in part)
    Jew
    Puerto Rican
    Scottish
    Russian (really? I am a bit too tan to be Russian).

And my German teacher said I could pass as German from a certain region (can't remember the name).

She called you a Mongoloid? Or a Tatar? Or a Gypsy?

would he be from Tots?

Or Turkey.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Jewish for me is more of a religious or cultural affinity than simply an ethnicity, same with Arab.

I agree, eres un bombon.

You're incorrect. Youre confusing ethnicity and religion. We are talking about ethnicity here when answering if he looks like a Jew.

To be a Jew you got to be born by a Jew mother, it's not simply about religion. My best friend is Jew and he's married to a not Jew, therefore his kids are not Jews. He feels really bad about this and some stupid people even make fun of him that such a great Jew has goy kids.

And Arabs are deinately not about religion. Arabs can be Muslims, Christians and Jewish too.
    Nope you're the one whose confused. Jew or Jewish is a person whose religion is Judaism, it doesn't matter if you practice it or not. I'm baptized Christian and while I believe in God but I don't believe in some of the man-made doctrines of my church so I don't practice it that much but that doesn't make me any less of a Christian. Just like Muslims and Christians, you simply can't look like Jewish. There are White Jews, Black Jews, Latino Jews, Asian Jews, Arab Jews.

Ethnicity on the other hand refers to your ethnic background relating to the culture of the country of your origin for example French, English, Spanish, Japanese, Italian etc. Latino and Arab are considered ethnicities because they share a common language or cultural practices.

I know about Arabs independent of religion which is why I said its either religious or cultural affinity. I met some Christian Arabs too. However Arab IS an ethnicity.

What the OP meant is if he "look Jewish" which in this case is there is no such thing as looking Jewish.
    EDIT: corrected my earlier statement
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    You just look like a white guy.

Yeah, exactly. Everyone's a mutt, it's just what the end product looks like that people want to give a name. Weird thread, man. Although, you're 20, probably this is part of you figuring yourself out. You look like yourself, that's it!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My ex was a Jewish Israeli and had nice creamy pale skin, plenty of dark hair, and he did not have a prominent nose.

THIS ... im jewish and israeli blood . Steriotypes must fk off
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I got called an effing K word in a club once :noway: :laugh: not even Jewish...
  • rml_16
    Options

It's a religion people!

I don't know any black jews. Jews are an ethnic group who used to share a religion. I know Jews who don't practice Judaism.
    There are black Jews. One of the 12 Tribes was from Ethiopia. You may not know any personally, but I assure you that they exist.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Do I look Jewish?
    Why?

Without even looking at you I'd guess Hispanic from Suarez in your user name! You look it too. Then again, I get mistaken for French or Spanish sometimes and I'm English. I am a language teacher though....
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Will you do my taxes or give me advice on my portfolio? If your answer is anything other than yes, you are not Jewish.

stereotypes_262986-640x.jpeg
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Jews come from ALL over the world, including India and Africa.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

Cashew! Love it. OP, I think you look Druish myself.

i was hoping there'd be a Spaceballs reference in here.

spaceballs-3.gif