Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym Etiquette

Options
jbrom86
jbrom86 Posts: 5 Member
Hi Guys

One of the biggest annoyances in the gym is people who hog the machines, sitting there either on their phone or staring into space and do one set every five mins.

How do you guys deal with this when you come across this?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Do you ask if you could use the machine between their set?
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When I was in a commercial gym I would just ask to work in.

Yep, pretty much these.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I ask nicely if I can work in.

Pro tip: it's very common (and good training) to take 3-5 minute rests between sets when working with heavy, low rep sets.
    No reason to hate on people for it.

This
  • jbrom86
    jbrom86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All well and good asking to take turns between sets but that knock me off my rhythm
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I want to be in and out the gym fast as possible so if someone's hogging I might just glare ha I'm not the friendliest in the gym
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »
    That is a a pain, and I will tell you what bothers me even more are the people who don't clean the machines.
    Its usually the fit person who wants to check social media, or post they are working out and don't have time to wipe down the machines.
    I always think to myself, I bet you are the same way with your nasty body, don't clean yourself either. :)

I wipe stuff off because it's expected now. I've been a member of a public gym for a long time and the wiping movement just seems to be big in the last 10-15 years. Would be interesting to know if this is actually resulting in better health.

For the OP, ask if you can work in.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    That is a a pain, and I will tell you what bothers me even more are the people who don't clean the machines.
    Its usually the fit person who wants to check social media, or post they are working out and don't have time to wipe down the machines.
    I always think to myself, I bet you are the same way with your nasty body, don't clean yourself either. :)

I wipe stuff off because it's expected now. I've been a member of a public gym for a long time and the wiping movement just seems to be big in the last 10-15 years. Would be interesting to know if this is actually resulting in better health.

For the OP, ask if you can work in.

Probably less chance of a staph infection.

Also, when I'm into the heavy sets on my core exercises (dead, squat, bench) I take my sweet time between sets. This is where I am able to develop better strength.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

if i'm the one waiting, please just get up and leave. i do NOT want to wait another minute and i most certainly don't want to sit in your freshly sprayed chemicals. if you left a pool of sweat on the seat, a quick swipe of your towel (or the knee of your sweats for all i care) and be on your way. i really really really not afraid of other people that much. my chances of getting a staph infection from the gym are already incredibly low; no need to make them lower. me and my nasty body will be fine.

to the OP: five WHOLE minutes? the horror!!! people are allowed to rest between sets. you have your rhythm, they have theirs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    jbrom86 wrote: »
    All well and good asking to take turns between sets but that knock me off my rhythm
    Then have a back up exercise. There are ALWAYS other options.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I picked a gym that wasn't super busy in the first place and go the hour before close. The last 30 minutes, I have the free weight section all to myself :dizzy:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

if i'm the one waiting, please just get up and leave. i do NOT want to wait another minute and i most certainly don't want to sit in your freshly sprayed chemicals. if you left a pool of sweat on the seat, a quick swipe of your towel (or the knee of your sweats for all i care) and be on your way. i really really really not afraid of other people that much. my chances of getting a staph infection from the gym are already incredibly low; no need to make them lower. me and my nasty body will be fine.

to the OP: five WHOLE minutes? the horror!!! people are allowed to rest between sets. you have your rhythm, they have theirs.

Ya, I'll use the chemicals when they provide ones that don't give me headaches. I don't go to the gym when I'm sick, don't leave pools of sweat, and am in the don't-get-germs-by-washing-hands-before-touching-face camp.