Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym Etiquette

Options

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Honest question. If I lay on my towel to lift, do I still have to wipe the machine down?
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    Glare at them and mutter curses.

Or, request to work in.

Your choice.

This..

I ask the guys to let me work in between all the time. You should try it to instead of getting pissed at them.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Honest question. If I lay on my towel to lift, do I still have to wipe the machine down?

Personally, I wouldn't care either way. Others might say yes because your sweat is on the towel so your germs are still on the machine.
  • grigglipuff
    grigglipuff Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I always sit at the machine between sets because if I don't, people will take the machine I'm using and sit at it between sets hahah

But yeah just ask, I've never seen anybody be upset except for this one guy who was extremely rude to me after I asked to swap...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I'm like Carlos_421 and wouldn't care, but if I'm using equipment, stand up, pick up the towel and see any dampness, I'll give it a wipe.

For general info - you'd have to leave the cleaner on the equipment for longer than anyone actually does in order for there to be any real disinfecting effect. The cleaner is just there to make people feel better.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    jbrom86 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

One of the biggest annoyances in the gym is people who hog the machines, sitting there either on their phone or staring into space and do one set every five mins.

How do you guys deal with this when you come across this?
    Many programs that involve full-body, compound lifts recommend anywhere from 3 to 5 min rests between sets, by design.

I would be surprised if someone was snippy if you just asked to use the equipment while they were resting.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have asked when it is obvious they are having a conversation if I could slip in a set while they finish up their phone call. No issues so far.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    One of the gyms I go to has a posted rule specifically prohibiting the use of cell phone while on the exercise equipment. IMO, good idea. They don't have cell phone police walking around, but if there is an issue a member can point to the sign that it's against the rules.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    What's with all the resting, playing on iPhone and socializing between sets? You're supposed to be working out - you don't need more than a minute between sets. C'mon people!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    What's with all the resting, playing on iPhone and socializing between sets? You're supposed to be working out - you don't need more than a minute between sets. C'mon people!

You do if you need your ATP replenished for anaerobic sets.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

I take up to 5 minutes or so sometimes, particularly after a heavy lift or particularly challenging exercises like heavy farmer's walks. I've even been known to lay on the ground and catch my breath, lift barefoot, use chalk, use gloves, wear the wrong knee sleeves, use lifting straps, play music too loud, play no music at all, wear the wrong shoes, and workout without a shirt. I also enter my lifts into my iPhone, surf MFP, and chat with lifting partners between sets. I guess I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing. Story of my life.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You certainly could. Recovery from a true heavy set takes longer than a minute. And lots of people log sets in an app or write them down on their phone.
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't like the machine hogs! There was one on leg press on Friday for 30 minutes. He was using the weight I needed for my warm up set. He was watching me do squat and using two machines at the same time until I was ready to move to the press.

I welcome people sharing, and it gives me extra cardio loading and unloading the 45 lb weights.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You certainly could. Recovery from a true heavy set takes longer than a minute. And lots of people log sets in an app or write them down on their phone.

There are some, but where I'm at seems like many more are playing on the phone while sitting on the bicep curl or good girl/bad girl machine as opposed to a squat rack or the lifting platform doing heavy work.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jbrom86 wrote: »
    All well and good asking to take turns between sets but that knock me off my rhythm

Having to cooperate with other people often means readjusting the equipment, and might knock you off your rhythm, and it's still the socially skilled thing to do, much better than being annoyed and waiting 15 minutes for a machine, if you can't find something else to do.

I avoid the whole issue by using free weights. There are plenty of those.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Alright, alright, you guys made your point. I am nowhere near that level of lifting.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Heavy squats and deadlifts take a lot longer than a minute to recover from. Should I just stare at the wall, or other gym patrons as creepily as possible while resting between sets?

I think we are talking about the people who are casual lifters......they are texting...laughing.....go pose with their friends....even talk on the phone. I have no problem with the people who are doing a serious workout.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I don't like the machine hogs! There was one on leg press on Friday for 30 minutes. He was using the weight I needed for my warm up set. He was watching me do squat and using two machines at the same time until I was ready to move to the press.

I welcome people sharing, and it gives me extra cardio loading and unloading the 45 lb weights.

I must be missing something. It sounds like the guy was using some machines and no one asked to work in or when he'd be done. When someone (you) actually wanted to use one of the machines he was done.

What exactly was the problem?