Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym Etiquette

Options

Replies

• dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have never got sick from the cleaning solution the gyms use. And since they have signs up all over the gym to please clean machines after use I have no problem doing so.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    dbkyser wrote: »
    That is a a pain, and I will tell you what bothers me even more are the people who don't clean the machines.
    Its usually the fit person who wants to check social media, or post they are working out and don't have time to wipe down the machines.
    I always think to myself, I bet you are the same way with your nasty body, don't clean yourself either. :)

and you know they are checking social media how? Maybe they are logging exercise or timing rest....

This. I am actually paranoid that people think I'm just hogging the machine or whatever, because I am constantly on my phone between sets when I'm doing strength training. I always log my workouts and time myself between sets, using my phone.

Do you let people work in? If so, you're fine.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    Glare at them and mutter curses.

Or, request to work in.

Your choice.

I'll take the first one please thanks.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    The other day I took up the only squat rack in the gym for like forty minutes. One guy came up and told me he had "nexties." :D I told him it'd be a minute, and when I realized how long I was gonna be, I actually went and found him and offered to let him work in. He declined and told me to come find him when I was done. By the time I finished, he was gone! Turn down working in, use the word "nexties" when talking to a stranger, and can't hang? I don't feel bad at all.

I like that freakin guy!! Sounds like he wanted a no hassle workout, and when that wasn't happening he went and found something else to do. Nexties. Hehehe
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    We once had to wait like 90 minutes for a squat rack from a guy who was journaling between sets of 2-3 and wouldn't let us work in.

It was infuriating.

It's only happened once, though, and most of the time, people are super considerate if you ask. The Hubster and I take turns on one rack as to not take over two unless it isn't busy.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    We once had to wait like 90 minutes for a squat rack from a guy who was journaling between sets of 2-3 and wouldn't let us work in.

It was infuriating.

It's only happened once, though, and most of the time, people are super considerate if you ask. The Hubster and I take turns on one rack as to not take over two unless it isn't busy.

The bolded was his only crime.

Granted, it was a doozy.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

It was infuriating.

Granted, it was a doozy.

Yep dick move
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    dbkyser wrote: »
    That is a a pain, and I will tell you what bothers me even more are the people who don't clean the machines.
    Its usually the fit person who wants to check social media, or post they are working out and don't have time to wipe down the machines.
    I always think to myself, I bet you are the same way with your nasty body, don't clean yourself either. :)

and you know they are checking social media how? Maybe they are logging exercise or timing rest....

This. I am actually paranoid that people think I'm just hogging the machine or whatever, because I am constantly on my phone between sets when I'm doing strength training. I always log my workouts and time myself between sets, using my phone.

Do you let people work in? If so, you're fine.

No one has ever asked, but if they did I'd let them. I usually go really early in the morning so there aren't very many people there. When I have gone and it's busy, if someone asks for dibs on my machine when I'm done I make sure to let them get it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The other day I took up the only squat rack in the gym for like forty minutes. One guy came up and told me he had "nexties." :D I told him it'd be a minute, and when I realized how long I was gonna be, I actually went and found him and offered to let him work in. He declined and told me to come find him when I was done. By the time I finished, he was gone! Turn down working in, use the word "nexties" when talking to a stranger, and can't hang? I don't feel bad at all.

Now to actually address the question, I always just ask how many sets the person has left so I can decide whether to wait or go on to something else. I prefer not to work in with other people. I'll do it, but usually I've got something else I can do.

I dunno, maybe he had places to be. I can't just hang around a gym forever. I find some other things to do and then I might have to move on. And with a squat rack, if the two of you aren't near the same height and ability it could be more of a pain than it's worth to work in.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong, because you didn't. I'm just saying that not hanging around for almost an hour doesn't make that guy a *kitten*.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

It was infuriating.

Granted, it was a doozy.

Yup, and that was the part we were annoyed by. Well, that and he wouldn't even estimate for us how much longer he was going to be, but that came after we couldn't work in, so I was likely already irritated.

I mentioned he was journaling mainly because some posters seemed surprised or unaware that people do stuff between sets.
  • stevespace613
    stevespace613 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC..so the gyms r always packed..well at least the time I go..so if I need a machine I will ask how many sets they have left n if they have just a few I would wait..but if they have a lot I would ask to work in with them or go look for another machine.but I would most likely jump in with them..only bcuz I like to hit certain machines b4 others..like squat,bench etc...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Whatever. Ask to work in. When I'm lifting heavy crap after a 10 hour work day you better believe I'm gonna sit my butt down between sets and yeah, I'm gonna pre-log my dinner and get my instagram on too.
  • angelross1016
    angelross1016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It helps to know alternate exercises with free weights, or just pick a different machine to work out on. I would say my bigger pet peeves would be people who laugh at me, bc they're thin and cut and I'm not AND, people who don't wipe down their equipment.
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It helps to know alternate exercises with free weights, or just pick a different machine to work out on. I would say my bigger pet peeves would be people who laugh at me, bc they're thin and cut and I'm not AND, people who don't wipe down their equipment.

Who are these people that laugh at you! That's horrible! That just made me so sad.
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Precisely why I have a membership and don't go. I usually work around them, pick a free machine and come back later which throws me off my plan. I hate busy gyms. :( I was going at 5:15 am when it wasn't busy but found that unrealistic to sustain, for me.

I would ask nicely to work in between their rests but too shy.