Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym Etiquette

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If someone is on a piece of kit I'd like to use

"Hi, how many more set have you got?" if the answer is "I just started" and they don't offer the chance for me to work in, I go find something else. If they've only got a couple of sets I'll usually do a bit of extra warm up whilst I wait.

I've occasionally had to tap someone on the shoulder because they were listening to music so I could ask them but I'm always polite and as friendly as I can be and I've never had a bad reaction.

I also, pro-actively let people who appear to be lurking how many sets I have left when I'm on a piece of kit (usually the squat rack or bench) and will offer to let them work in if it's practical or going to be a long time. I've met some nice people this way and it's stuff like this that gets you on nodding acquaintance terms with your fellow gym goers. I'm also happy to spot for people and not afraid to ask for a spot when required.

P.S. If someone spots for me I always thank them, tell them my name, and tell them that they can always tap me up for a spot whenever they need one. The only competition in the gym is with yourself and being friendly does not mean that you will minimise your gainz. I like to get my work out done, who doesn't? But I leave the aggressive *kitten* attitude to the younger guys.

Nice way to roll.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    @Packerjohn Cheers
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You know what else is bad? People who take TWO BIG lockers during peak gym time!

They can check their coats and their shopping bags. Bunch of pigs !!!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It will be quite obvious that I'm not a gym-goer when I ask this: what is "work in"? I know what it is to work out, but in? Thanks.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    It will be quite obvious that I'm not a gym-goer when I ask this: what is "work in"? I know what it is to work out, but in? Thanks.

Sharing a piece of equipment so as one person is resting the second person does their set.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is people who don't rack their weights. I have a bad back and just got back to lifting in the last few months. I can't be racking 8/45 pound plates because some person was strong enough to use them but not to rack them. Ugh....

Then there is this one woman who apparently uses the adduction/abduction machines for cardio and stays on one machine for 30-40 minutes straight, no rest. That's a little ridiculous. Thankfully she is usually done by the time I'm off the bike if I decide to do cardio first.

My old gym, back in the day, everyone worked in together and were very considerate, I don't see much of that anymore. Too bad, it was kind of nice.

Agreed, this is really my one and only.....probably mainly to do with the gym I'm pretty much stuck at now is terrible, just kitten terrible for putting weights away.

That and they have "classes" in a common area of the gym so you can't use any of the equipment around it. They were doing circuits and were set up about a 6" from the squat rack, and weren't about to move over when I moved into the rack.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    My biggest pet peeve is people who don't rack their weights. I have a bad back and just got back to lifting in the last few months. I can't be racking 8/45 pound plates because some person was strong enough to use them but not to rack them. Ugh....

Then there is this one woman who apparently uses the adduction/abduction machines for cardio and stays on one machine for 30-40 minutes straight, no rest. That's a little ridiculous. Thankfully she is usually done by the time I'm off the bike if I decide to do cardio first.

My old gym, back in the day, everyone worked in together and were very considerate, I don't see much of that anymore. Too bad, it was kind of nice.

So weights, dumbbells etc are on a rack, and should be replaced when finished, right? Do these people just leave them on the floor when they're done?? :anguished:

Some people do.
    Most often it's people leaving plates on a barbell after they're finished with it.
    It's a foul for sure.

This guy on the bench had left 3-4 45s and a 55 on each side of the row machine but said he was finished, so I started taking them off because I wasn't gonna sit and wait while he finished benching. So then he comes over and tries to take the 55 off my hands! Little late by then. He was a big dude too.. probably didn't feel great about a female less than half his size putting up his weights. He helped in the end, but it annoyed me that he left it and then thought he needed to help me with a plate I was obviously having no trouble carrying.

On a side note, I love organizing and the gym. I might be in heaven if I got paid to do nothing but keep the plates organized :)

Hate when weights aren't re-racked.

I've already had to ask a trainer to give me a hand with some on a barbel a good 6' 6" up or higher. I'm short. Figured unloading 45s I could barely touch with my fingertips while balancing on my tippy toes was a bad idea.

What was really embarrassing was the time I was unloading a bar on the floor at the deadlift station so I could use it. I was tired. It was taking me a little extra time, but I was getting it done. Next thing I know, some 70+ yr old gentleman is taking the weight I'd just pulled off the bar out of my hands and telling me to just rest, he'd get the rest for me.

*sigh*

He meant well. But I had to make a serious effort to not let any annoyance show when I thanked him and continued deloading the bar (letting him put the weights in the rack). Hope I succeeded.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Don't like when someone stands right by me waiting for me to get off the squat rack sometimes I like to do 10 set 10 reps back to back makes me nervous like I should hurry
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

So weights, dumbbells etc are on a rack, and should be replaced when finished, right? Do these people just leave them on the floor when they're done?? :anguished:

Some people do.
    Most often it's people leaving plates on a barbell after they're finished with it.
    It's a foul for sure.

This guy on the bench had left 3-4 45s and a 55 on each side of the row machine but said he was finished, so I started taking them off because I wasn't gonna sit and wait while he finished benching. So then he comes over and tries to take the 55 off my hands! Little late by then. He was a big dude too.. probably didn't feel great about a female less than half his size putting up his weights. He helped in the end, but it annoyed me that he left it and then thought he needed to help me with a plate I was obviously having no trouble carrying.

On a side note, I love organizing and the gym. I might be in heaven if I got paid to do nothing but keep the plates organized :)

This makes me laugh, because it tweaks my OCD tendencies when the plates are racked but in no order. 10 pounders on the bottom, and 35s up top, different size plates on the same pin. ARGH! Will you come organize my gym right before I arrive, please? LOL
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Don't like when someone stands right by me waiting for me to get off the squat rack sometimes I like to do 10 set 10 reps back to back makes me nervous like I should hurry

Do you offer to let them work in?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you let someone work in who is of a different height and is squatting a much different weight who is responsible for taking off and putting on the plates and moving the height of the bar? You or the person working in?
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If you let someone work in who is of a different height and is squatting a much different weight who is responsible for taking off and putting on the plates and moving the height of the bar? You or the person working in?

When squatting with more than one person, we just make the bar low enough so that the shortest person can rack/un-rack.

The loading/unloading of the bar is shared.
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

That's one thing I usually don't let anyone work in besides my workout buddy I just hurry which I think it's probably not good to not take a longer break in between sets and I hate hogging it but I think they just stand there because they are grabbed as soon as someone gets off of one
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options

Some people do.
    It's a foul for sure.

This makes me laugh, because it tweaks my OCD tendencies when the plates are racked but in no order. 10 pounders on the bottom, and 35s up top, different size plates on the same pin. ARGH! Will you come organize my gym right before I arrive, please? LOL

How much is it worth to ya!?
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

That's one thing I usually don't let anyone work in besides my workout buddy I just hurry which I think it's probably not good to not take a longer break in between sets and I hate hogging it but I think they just stand there because they are grabbed as soon as someone gets off of one

Guess that is why people hang around.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    The squat rack is my favourite place to hang around. #truedat
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    The worst is when you go to use the squat rack and have to take 200kg worth of plates off by hand - and it always happens on the sorest day after working upper body. No worries beefcake, i'll take those plates off for you since you're obviously too fatigued!

How much you want to be the person that leaves a bunch of plates on a bar/machine is also the one that is taking up 2 parking spaces close to the entrance? *kitten* behavior doesn't start and end at the gym door.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

If you're both not kittenholes (you're welcome, MFP. I did your work for you), then you help each other out.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Re-racking other peoples weights and walking around looking for plates is my cardio.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    f2r7tmt7sxzr.jpeg

I couldn't help taking a picture.. Who's gonna take off 105#, really 140# because the hubby had one on the bar, to get to that little 2.5# weight!? This might be the most ridiculous thing I've seen when it comes to putting weights in the wrong spot..