married chit-chatters?

Options

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    gianna42 wrote: »
    Married 10 years. Glad to find this thread. My husband is the sort who can drop 10 lbs over night just by giving up cookies so it's great to have support when my goals take a little more effort to reach :smile:

Yes - how do they do that?!

Magnets.
  • RagTagSampson
    RagTagSampson Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Awesome topic and ty! Married here and trying to be more active and supportive on here. Feel free to add me : )
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Kids don't hate their parents unless the parents are doing something worthy of reaching for that kind of emotion... I began teaching my child an emotional vocabulary as soon as she started talking, so "hate" isn't something she reaches for just because I say or do something she doesn't agree with. and that is a bit of a double edged sword because she now sees emotions in a vast spectrum which can make it difficult to read her. ONE big problem in today's world is a lack of literacy, Large segments of English speaking North Americans have lost the ability to express themselves succinctly, which leads to all sorts of destructive interactions, all because we have reduced our emotions to hate or happy...
  • nahmm83
    nahmm83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    3 year anniversary today!!! :)<3B)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    No one is married here. Just ask all the married people in Chit Chat.
  • Timshel_
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • Timshel_
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    @nahmm83 happy anniversary!

Catching up on this thread... I think I have a pretty supportive husband when it comes to my fitness but then again since I prep all his meals and do his macro calculations, he may not have a choice. :smile: I think our biggest fuss is the shopping for equipment, supplements or anything like that. It's definitely a balancing act between two different wants and goals.

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Married 10 years. Glad to find this thread. My husband is the sort who can drop 10 lbs over night just by giving up cookies so it's great to have support when my goals take a little more effort to reach :smile:

We are just the opposite. I do 4 days of cardio (60 min+) 2 days of strength training and log my food faithfully to show zero loss last week. She does a few weight watcher recipes and sits down to watch Steve Harvey and BAM down 2 lbs. Sometimes I think God is a comedian.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Married here, 43 years. Wife and I are both on Nutrisystem. I'm also exercising with cardio and weights. I've lost 65 since I started the diet, 80 total. I've lost relatively fast and her, not so much. She gets miffed when my loss is noticed and hers isn't. Sigh...
  • nahmm83
    nahmm83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    @provencal73 thanks!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Married 29 year (30 years this coming September)...and 3 or 4 of them were pretty good B)

Just kidding - she is awesome and I am lucky to have her.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    gfjazz wrote: »
    My husband does not support me either the more I exercise the more he tells me I am never going to heal my knee.probably right but since Jan 27 23 pounds I love my clothes fit I feel better at 70 that's great news
    I worry my husbands overweight breathes heavy just putting socks on I want him to loose weight but he wil not give up sweets

my husband is overweight, every other weeks says I have to make him lose weight, so I make him healthy dinners and then he complains I didn't feed him enough and he eats more. Oh well, his snoring would be cured by losing weight but can't tell him that.

Thats how it is here too...every 3-4 months he asks me to 'help' him to eat healthier and to lose some weight (he has an appalling diet....pretty much just bread, cereal and red meat).

So I suggest things that he can do easily (like add 1 serving of fruit or veg each day (which would be a 100% increase, lol), taking a multi vitamin, or for him to be conscious of serving size and just try to reduce it slightly, without really logging or anything in the beginning.

So then he inevitably says he will eat a piece of fruit with breakfast. He only eats bananas, apples (peeled, sliced and with PB), and red seedless grapes so his options are limited. He then ask me to prep them for him (apparently its too much work to peel and slice an apple or pull grapes off the stem...the grapes must be de-stemmed and in a baggie and the apple must be peeled and sliced for him or he won't eat them). Well honey, I'm happy to peel an apple for you if I am already in the kitchen and don't have anything more pressing to do. But I am not about to stop what I am doing in the morning (getting 4 kids under age 8 dressed, fed and out the door - alone I might add)...to peel and slice an apple for a 35 year old man. He understands that, but he's not at a point where he is really ready to lose the weight and put the work in himself. He just feels like he 'should' lose the weight...which is why he tries for 2 or 3 days and then quits.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »
    gfjazz wrote: »
    My husband does not support me either the more I exercise the more he tells me I am never going to heal my knee.probably right but since Jan 27 23 pounds I love my clothes fit I feel better at 70 that's great news
    I worry my husbands overweight breathes heavy just putting socks on I want him to loose weight but he wil not give up sweets

my husband is overweight, every other weeks says I have to make him lose weight, so I make him healthy dinners and then he complains I didn't feed him enough and he eats more. Oh well, his snoring would be cured by losing weight but can't tell him that.

Thats how it is here too...every 3-4 months he asks me to 'help' him to eat healthier and to lose some weight (he has an appalling diet....pretty much just bread, cereal and red meat).

So I suggest things that he can do easily (like add 1 serving of fruit or veg each day (which would be a 100% increase, lol), taking a multi vitamin, or for him to be conscious of serving size and just try to reduce it slightly, without really logging or anything in the beginning.

So then he inevitably says he will eat a piece of fruit with breakfast. He only eats bananas, apples (peeled, sliced and with PB), and red seedless grapes so his options are limited. He then ask me to prep them for him (apparently its too much work to peel and slice an apple or pull grapes off the stem...the grapes must be de-stemmed and in a baggie and the apple must be peeled and sliced for him or he won't eat them). Well honey, I'm happy to peel an apple for you if I am already in the kitchen and don't have anything more pressing to do. But I am not about to stop what I am doing in the morning (getting 4 kids under age 8 dressed, fed and out the door - alone I might add)...to peel and slice an apple for a 35 year old man. He understands that, but he's not at a point where he is really ready to lose the weight and put the work in himself. He just feels like he 'should' lose the weight...which is why he tries for 2 or 3 days and then quits.

we might be married to the same man! haha although he won't eat fruit at all. I would send him apples to work and he'd complain they weren't cut up so I sent a knife..nope I had to cut them up for him. Then he goes on about how the boy's diet is so not varied...um example? Oh well...can't force them to be healthy
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Kids don't hate their parents unless the parents are doing something worthy of reaching for that kind of emotion... I began teaching my child an emotional vocabulary as soon as she started talking, so "hate" isn't something she reaches for just because I say or do something she doesn't agree with. and that is a bit of a double edged sword because she now sees emotions in a vast spectrum which can make it difficult to read her. ONE big problem in today's world is a lack of literacy, Large segments of English speaking North Americans have lost the ability to express themselves succinctly, which leads to all sorts of destructive interactions, all because we have reduced our emotions to hate or happy...

Good lord, as a college admission professional, I could kiss you. The declining lack of literacy AND emotional literacy is alarming.
  • Kvm11628
    Kvm11628 Posts: 7,386 Member
    Options
    My husband was always the sort who could get in shape by thinking about exercise. I could gain weight by thinking about celery. I am finally making a true commitment to fitness and that, combined with my husband's ACL surgery finally put me slightly above him in terms of fitness. His competitive nature has kicked in and he's trying to catch up. Dammit. I liked winning that one for a bit. Kidding. Sort of.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Married, 49 yr old about to turn 50. This is my second time losing weight with MFP. I'm a huge believer in the CICO method. My wife is plus size and makes noises like she wants to do something about it but she just isn't there yet. I've been trying to get her on the app but she keeps coming up with excuses why it won't work for her. I think emotionally she's fighting against the dedicated commitment it takes to lose the weight. I have hope though, I think she'll eventually get there.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    m2marsh wrote: »
    Married here, 43 years. Wife and I are both on Nutrisystem. I'm also exercising with cardio and weights. I've lost 65 since I started the diet, 80 total. I've lost relatively fast and her, not so much. She gets miffed when my loss is noticed and hers isn't. Sigh...

You two might want to checkout the NS-Refugees forum on Proboards. About 1700 members there, all on Nutrisystem! ns-refugees.freeforums.net/

m2marsh, I'm a member there too. Thanks!