married chit-chatters?

Options

Replies

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Ugh...goodness, I couldn't deal with that. That's a tough one. As you said before you're close to your mom, so I'm sure you're torn. Does your mom give you that side-eye, like, get control of your wife and pop a binky in her mouth type look?

• novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone in here where the spouse doesn't get along with their in-laws? That's so tough on a relationship...
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    novio50 wrote: »
    Is there anyone in here where the spouse doesn't get along with their in-laws? That's so tough on a relationship...
    You mean you know someone whose spouse DOES get along with their in laws????

• Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I get along with my in-laws and my husband gets along with my parents.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sometimes I like my father-in-law more than my wife. I'm not sexually attracted to him though so it would never work.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I like my in-laws. My husband likes my family. Any issues we have with them are shared things we support each other about, away from them. Like if we visit my family, we need a little time away to talk and laugh about stuff (to keep our sanity).
  • heroldkelly
    heroldkelly Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is a funny conversation to my wife and I. We both would gladly trade families. I feel like Rodney Dangerfield with mine (I don't get no respect!), and my wife thinks her parents are clueless when it comes to many things in life. I get along with her family just great, and I am pretty sure my wife is my mom's fave daughter-in-law (of 2).
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My husband's mom and dad passed away before I married him. He said they would have loved me because I'm not like his ex-wife. I was told by his family she had a bad aditude with causing, didn't cook or clean,fighting and smoked a lot of weed. Lol My family likes him because he has a lot of good morales and loves me. Sometimes we have a few tiffys. Nothing major, but then agin we've only bin married 3 years
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    That's difficult. I hope things settle down. And maybe someday even improve. Just being a person living life has it's challenges. Then add another person (relationship) brings combined challenges. Then add families. And there can be strong emotions, clashing needs, hurt feelings. ♥
  • TaraLinnet
    TaraLinnet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am married although right now things are very rough. But I am not looking for anything other than support to keep me on track with losing weight.
  • jgonzalez305
    jgonzalez305 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Happily married for 13 years, here!
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    TaraLinnet wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am married although right now things are very rough. But I am not looking for anything other than support to keep me on track with losing weight.

Hey Tara, how long have you been on mfp? Are you seeing any success toward your goals yet?
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    We're happily married. Just celebrated our 29th anniversary. Was widowed 10 years before we married, had two children by my sweet first husband. Our children are all now in their 40s.
    I was one of those people who got great in-laws -- both sets. all are now gone except for my present husband's father. I love him, but recently, I finally asked my husband why he doesn't especially like me. Ken said it's because he didn't like my mother, and he just hasn't been able to get beyond that. Well, I sure do understand! He's sweet anyway, whether he likes it or not.
    As far as my husband goes, he's extremely good to me. I have had to caution him, however, not to spoil me too much, as Father did Mother. It wasn't good.
  • Lonestar5715
    Options
    We're happily married. Just celebrated our 29th anniversary. Was widowed 10 years before we married, had two children by my sweet first husband. Our children are all now in their 40s.
    I was one of those people who got great in-laws -- both sets. all are now gone except for my present husband's father. I love him, but recently, I finally asked my husband why he doesn't especially like me. Ken said it's because he didn't like my mother, and he just hasn't been able to get beyond that. Well, I sure do understand! He's sweet anyway, whether he likes it or not.
    As far as my husband goes, he's extremely good to me. I have had to caution him, however, not to spoil me too much, as Father did Mother. It wasn't good.

I'm curious about your comment about spoiling someone too much. In what way do you feel spoiling has negative consequences? Is spoiling doing too much for someone and how does spoiling differ from showing someone you care for them? I'm just curious......
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The book Boundaries was a helpful read for us in learning how to deal with the in-laws. We've both got good ones, but we share a farm with my husband's mom and get husband so we have to be clear about boundaries a lot
  • celestehughesbradley
    Options
    I'm very fortunate that I get along with my in-laws. My parents have both passed away, so I'm grateful to have them in my life. My MIL is such an encouragement and loving. Life can be tough at times, so I'm glad I have great in-laws.

I've been on MFP for 12 weeks now and finding it easy, but I've kind of stalled on the losing weight part. Following it to a tee...any ideas on how to "shake" things up to start losing again?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Yeah. I do love my in-laws. Great mother-in-law and father-in-law. We have our differences. But, we love and respect eachother. Great brother and sisters-in law also! And I don't have a father of my own.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I'm curious about your comment about spoiling someone too much. In what way do you feel spoiling has negative consequences? Is spoiling doing too much for someone and how does spoiling differ from showing someone you care for them? I'm just curious......

No problem. It's just that I grew up with a mother who was totally spoiled, and it was Father who spoiled her, to her own hurt and her children's, especially hurting my oldest sister. I don't believe Mother matured emotionally past being 5 or so years old. For one example, she would have full-blown tantrums. For a second, everything was about her -- the most narcissistic person I've ever known, and I've known a few doozies. Just before she died, her home warned us that if she didn't stop hitting the nurses and other residents, she would have to find another home. 'Nough said. :neutral:

I don't want to grow old to be so mean or so self-centered. And it's not that she changed in her old age; the problem was that she remained the same.
  • Lonestar5715
    Options

No problem. It's just that I grew up with a mother who was totally spoiled, and it was Father who spoiled her, to her own hurt and her children's, especially hurting my oldest sister. I don't believe Mother matured emotionally past being 5 or so years old. For one example, she would have full-blown tantrums. For a second, everything was about her -- the most narcissistic person I've ever known, and I've known a few doozies. Just before she died, her home warned us that if she didn't stop hitting the nurses and other residents, she would have to find another home. 'Nough said. :neutral:

I don't want to grow old to be so mean or so self-centered. And it's not that she changed in her old age; the problem was that she remained the same.

Thanks Raina, I'm sorry your Mom had such struggles with self-centeredness. At least it sounds like you saw the negative side of her behavior and used it as an example of who you didn't want to emulate as an adult.