Theres ALWAYS chocolate in the office!!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    We just fired a guy whose only real contribution was polishing off the sweets the rest of us would have polished off ourselves. We have a new part time worker. We had some peanut butter cups in the office and I asked if she'd had some. She said she'd already had some chocolate that day and I said, a little too seriously, "I'm gonna need you to start eating more".

So you're good. :p

Hahaha! See there is a difference between offering something, making jokes and then full on food harassment. I've got a very dear friend who was constantly harassed by a co-worked when she knew full well my friend was losing weight. We are talking to the point where she stood over my friend and told her to eat a cream cake while she watched. Some people are just *kitten*.

And some people need to stand up for themselves, either personally or through HR.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    No is a full sentence. No, thanks even better. Smile and walk away.
    Or, if you want a treat once in a while, have one and log it.
    It's on you, not on the office culture or other people to ensure that you don't eat "unhealthy foods".

And the above about harassment - yes, say something and report it up the chain if the behavior doesn't stop. I would also say to the person above joking about "I'm going to need you to eat more" that's not cool. You don't know what their issues are. Especially if you are supervisory to them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My office has this happen occasionally - if something is around for a day, and everyone has had their opportunity...I toss it. I find often people are bringing in non-food edible items because they don't want them in their house or the items are approaching the "best used by" date. I guess it's a way to unload unwanted stuff on their unsuspecting co-workers. So far nobody has complained when the junk food disappears.

Just curious as to what "Non-food edible items" are?

Maybe someone has pica?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put my hand up and say it, I'm a food unloader.

If someone brings me a box of chocolates when they come for dinner, I take it to the office to share. I don't want to eat it myself so I take it in to work where people will eat it with their lunch or with a cup of tea. Does this make me a bad person? I see it as not wasting food by throwing it out at home and my colleagues mostly get excited and say thanks.... I figure if people don't want to eat it, they won't eat it. It's not like I stand over anyone saying "consume these calories right now!".

We are all grown ups and everyone is accountable for their own choices.

Seems reasonable to me. (I've done it too. People appreciate it, I didn't want it -- win/win!)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I also "regift". B)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    No is a full sentence. No, thanks even better. Smile and walk away.
    Or, if you want a treat once in a while, have one and log it.
    It's on you, not on the office culture or other people to ensure that you don't eat "unhealthy foods".

And the above about harassment - yes, say something and report it up the chain if the behavior doesn't stop. I would also say to the person above joking about "I'm going to need you to eat more" that's not cool. You don't know what their issues are. Especially if you are supervisory to them.

LOL you took that way too seriously. I didn't shove the peanut butter cup in her mouth. And I won't shove the donuts that are sure to come when our donut bringing loving client shows up with another notice he receives. :)

I'm pretty sure her only issue is she knows how to say no to chocolate. :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,639 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    We just fired a guy whose only real contribution was polishing off the sweets the rest of us would have polished off ourselves. We have a new part time worker. We had some peanut butter cups in the office and I asked if she'd had some. She said she'd already had some chocolate that day and I said, a little too seriously, "I'm gonna need you to start eating more".

So you're good. :p

Hahaha! See there is a difference between offering something, making jokes and then full on food harassment. I've got a very dear friend who was constantly harassed by a co-worked when she knew full well my friend was losing weight. We are talking to the point where she stood over my friend and told her to eat a cream cake while she watched. Some people are just *kitten*.

Did she shove the cream cake in the woman's face cuz...geez!

We get a lot of clients and vendors sending and bringing us stuff (cookies, cakes, donuts, chocolates, and liquor mostly). There used to be 4 of us in the office but now only 3 and half. :)

I admit, I have absolutely no will power when it comes to the sweets and most of it gets logged but I'm happy when it's gone so we tend to eat what we want and share part of it with clients that come in to meet with the boss. There was this one reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally freakin' good cinnamon streusel cake a client brought in during Christmas time. I couldn't resist it and every morning I'd slice off a small piece. Then another small piece because c'mon....the first wasn't enough! I was pretty much the only one eating it and needed it gone so the coworker I like (most of the time) decided we'd cut the rest of it up and deliver it to a couple of the other offices in the building that we're close to personally.

Regifting! :)

The hilarious part is I got a thank you card in the mail from one of the offices for the used cake. I stuck my head in there and told them how classy they were. :)

• evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

And some people need to stand up for themselves, either personally or through HR.

Yeah that's exactly what she did. Took it from the lady, threw it in the bin in front of her and went straight to HR.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Free gift economy for the win!
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I work on a help desk, so as there are a lot of us there are a lot of birthday treats, and pizza rewards for hitting SLA in a tough month.

I struggle to resist the pizza more than anything, but on my birthday I even bought in cakes and then didn't each much of them myself - they just didn't appeal to me.

I personal experience some people being really nasty towards me about food in our office. It seems to be one guys obsession. Every day he will mockingly say "oh lemon in your water again is it? Thought about putting a doughnut in there". Yesterday was especially bad when he found out I'm vegetarian - you can imagine the comments I got then.
    But I just try to block it out, as I feel sorry for him for being uneducated about the food he puts into his body.
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Quick update! Someone was promoted yesterday so they brought in some treats today. Without me having said anything at any point she proclaimed "we've had so much cake and chocolate recently I brought this in instead...." we now have a box of grapes, an oat cake and some bottles of sparkling fruit juice!

I've made space in my food diary to partake just a little and to top it off the same person commented on how different I look lately :)