Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Addiction" versus "Dependence"

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    RobD520 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    @lemurcat12 hit on a valid point. There's a biiiiiiiig difference between "I'm craving these cookies so much that I'm going to eat them even though they will make me fat" and "I'm craving cookies so badly that I'm willing to steal from family members, abandon relationships and sell my body for a hit of tollhouse."

I woul argue that the 600 pound person who persists in overeating despite being bedridden fits your definition. In extreme examples, people have devistated their families.

But the degree of damage you describe is NOT required for something to be a clinical addiction.

600 lb people are willing to commit crimes for a hit of sugar when vegetables and lean proteins are available?? They're so desperate for a fix of candy that they'll directly engage in dangerous activity to get it???

Come on...obesity can be harmful to family members who have to care for sick and dying loved ones, sure...
    But fat people are fat because of consistently eating in a surplus...not because they're so desperate for a hit of sucrose that they're willing to do whatever they can to get it.

Wow...

"Desperation" is not part of the criteria for addictions. A degree of compulsion is; it does not have to reach the point of desperation.

I never claimed that the situations were identical; or that the level of addiction is anywhere near as severe.

You still haven't really read my original post.

Wow.

Why do you assume I never read your post? I read it before I ever responded. Understood what you were getting at too. My post was an explanation for why the "I'm addicted to sugar claims" get shot down.

And yeah, you said "the 600 pound person who persists in overeating despite being bedridden fits your definition" after I said that there's a big difference between someone eating cookies despite it making them fat and someone stealing from family members to get a fix of tollhouse.

So I responded that no, it doesn't fit that definition.

As lemurcat already explained, there's a difference between failing to associate activities with long term effects (getting fat from too many cookies over time) and deliberately engaging in harmful/dangerous/unethical activity to satisfy a craving.
    Choosing to have the large soda rather than create a calorie deficit hardly demonstrates an addiction in the same way as the destructive behaviors engaged in by true addicts.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    @lemurcat12 hit on a valid point. There's a biiiiiiiig difference between "I'm craving these cookies so much that I'm going to eat them even though they will make me fat" and "I'm craving cookies so badly that I'm willing to steal from family members, abandon relationships and sell my body for a hit of tollhouse."

There are, however, many cases of people exhibiting other lesser types of addict behavior like eating food out of trash cans and stealing sweets from stores rather than face the humility of buying them.
  • Carlos_421
    moe0303 wrote: »

There are, however, many cases of people exhibiting other lesser types of addict behavior like eating food out of trash cans and stealing sweets from stores rather than face the humility of buying them.

This would indicate an eating disorder, not a substance addiction.
  • moe0303
    I get what the OP is saying. Another way to think about it is this: If an alcoholic is sober and free of any physical dependencies, is it reasonable for them to attempt drinking moderately?
  • moe0303

This would indicate an eating disorder, not a substance addiction.
    Which disorder?

• Carlos_421
    I get what the OP is saying. Another way to think about it is this: If an alcoholic is sober and free of any physical dependencies, is it reasonable for them to attempt drinking moderately?

And the voice of reason cries out that this is a flawed line of reasoning because there is no such thing as an addiction to sugar as a substance!
    If there were such a thing as sugarholism, I would say "Yes! Recovering sugarholics should avoid sugar just like an alcoholic should avoid alcohol."

But it isn't a thing!!!
  • moe0303

And the voice of reason cries out that this is a flawed line of reasoning because there is no such thing as an addiction to sugar as a substance!
    If there were such a thing as sugarholism, I would say "Yes! Recovering sugarholics should avoid sugar just like an alcoholic should avoid alcohol."

But it isn't a thing!!!
    But if alcohol is an addictive substance shouldn't everybody avoid it? If the physical dependency is gone, shouldn't they be able to moderate?

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member

But it isn't a thing!!!

The voice of reason clearly cries out that you are chosing to redefine the term addiction.

I maintain you either did not read, or you do not understand, or you are chosing to ignore aspects of my original post.
  • Carlos_421
    edited May 2016

But it isn't a thing!!!

The voice of reason clearly cries out that you are chosing to redefine the term addiction.

I maintain you either did not read, or you do not understand, or you are chosing to ignore aspects of my original post.

Again, I read your post thoroughly.

The only redefining going on is your turning "addiction" into "irresponsibility."
    Addiction doesn't mean "I want this so bad that I'll do it even though it's bad for me."
    Addiction means "I'm going to do this because I can't help it" or "I'm going to do this because it "hurts" not to."

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun
    the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity.
    "he committed the theft to finance his drug addiction"

ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    adjective
    physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects.
    "she became addicted to alcohol and diet pills"

This condition does not occur with sugar. Period.
  • moe0303
    edited May 2016

But it isn't a thing!!!

The only redefining going on is your turning "addiction" into "irresponsibility."
    Addiction doesn't mean "I want this so bad that I'll do it even though it's bad for me."
    Addiction means "I'm going to do this because I can't help it" or "I'm going to do this because it "hurts" not to."

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun
    the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity.

ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    adjective
    physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance, and unable to stop taking it without incurring adverse effects.

Nor does it occur with any behaviors...which you concluded earlier could be addictive.

ETA: There are several sources which define those terms differently.

Also, I do not think admitting to an addiction is a form of irresponsibility. In fact, I think it is the beginning of taking responsibility for individuals who are truly addicted.
  • RobD520

But it isn't a thing!!!

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    adjective

You totally didn't get it. I wonder if it's worth trying to explain it another way.....

Is this the dictionary you are quoting?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2016

I did not know I was a carbolic until I sat in a AA 12 step training class in denial..
  • Carlos_421

But it isn't a thing!!!

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    adjective

Nor does it occur with any behaviors...which you concluded earlier could be addictive.

ETA: There are several sources which define those terms differently.

Also, I do not think admitting to an addiction is a form of irresponsibility. In fact, I think it is the beginning of taking responsibility for individuals who are truly addicted.

Actually, it does occur with certain behaviors which is why I called that out in my first post.

I didn't say that it is irresponsible to admit an addiction. I was contesting the OP's assertion that addiction is defined as craving "something so strongly that they consume the substance, or repeat the behavior, even when the substance or behavior is doing substantial harm."

That is not addiction. It is irresponsibility.

Addiction is not just engaging in something regardless of consequences. It is engaging in something because they can't help it whether due to dependency, phsychological disorder, etc.
  • Carlos_421

But it isn't a thing!!!

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    adjective

You totally didn't get it. I wonder if it's worth trying to explain it another way.....

Disagreeing with you =\= not getting it
  • RobD520

But it isn't a thing!!!

ad·dic·tion
    əˈdikSH(ə)n/
    noun

ad·dict·ed
    əˈdiktəd/
    adjective

Disagreeing with you =\= not getting it

Where did you receive your clinical training?