1200 calories? Macros?

Options

Replies

• Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Of course your going to lose weight by counting calories, all I'm saying is, there is no need to. Just make better choices! The consistency in making better food choices will result in weight loss. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent calories in a damn pizza to make up for the loss!

I think everyone need to weigh out a chill pill, log the calories & macros and RELAX!!

Are you saying it is not possible to overeat if one is making "good" choices?

Of course it is! My point is, the choices you make will ultimately affect the outcome. If you had pizza every night for dinner, and you replaced that with say salad, then you know it won't be the same. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent in salad to pizza calorie wise, I'm saying YOU WILL KNOW WITHOUT COUNTING CALORIES YOU WILL BE IN A DEFICIT.

Most people are here trying to lose weight because THEY DIDN'T KNOW WITHOUT COUNTING CALORIES THEY WEREN'T IN A DEFICIT!

LOUD NOISES!! You must know by looking at a pizza and then a salad, what will have the least amount of calories?

Depends on the size of the salad. Some can have more calories in them than a slice of pizza.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Of course your going to lose weight by counting calories, all I'm saying is, there is no need to. Just make better choices! The consistency in making better food choices will result in weight loss. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent calories in a damn pizza to make up for the loss!

I think everyone need to weigh out a chill pill, log the calories & macros and RELAX!!

Of course it is! My point is, the choices you make will ultimately affect the outcome. If you had pizza every night for dinner, and you replaced that with say salad, then you know it won't be the same. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent in salad to pizza calorie wise, I'm saying YOU WILL KNOW WITHOUT COUNTING CALORIES YOU WILL BE IN A DEFICIT.

Most people are here trying to lose weight because THEY DIDN'T KNOW WITHOUT COUNTING CALORIES THEY WEREN'T IN A DEFICIT!

LOUD NOISES!! You must know by looking at a pizza and then a salad, what will have the least amount of calories?

It's not that simple. T.G.I Friday's pecan crusted chicken salad has over 1000 calories while Domino's 14 inch thin crust cheese pizza has slightly over 100 calories per slice.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'll get my coat.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You could stay under your calorie goal eating cake all day and lose weight, but it's an unhealthy way to look at weight loss.
    Who does this? Extreme examples prove nothing...

I wasn't saying anyone did this. I was just using an example of a type of food that one could enter, but serves little to no nutritional value.

So you used an example for something you admit no one would do? Weird...
    I agreed with everyone with calorie counting, I just also thinks it matters what the calories consist of. I would think your body would react better to 100 calories of grilled chicken vs 100 calories of cake. Not weight loss, just overall health.
    Calories are units of energy, nothing more nothing less...

Not sure why you keep getting crappy about it considering I was attempting to explain myself after your first post, but cake was indeed mentioned in the beginning of the thread. I didn't say "NO ONE" chooses to eat cake for a meal. Heck, I might even add cake to my snack and consider that one of my snacks for the day. I only meant by saying "I wasn't saying anyone did this" that I wasn't generalizing a certain person or attitude since you said it was an extreme example. And calories may be units of energy but I was addressing the nutritional value of cake vs chicken. We seem to be talking about different ideas here. Calories in and calories out will help you lose weight and I completely agree with that (as was mentioned) and I do believe calories are the most important factor.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I can easily create a salad that has the same number of calories as a couple of pieces of pizza. Most people could.
  • hassankarimi82
    Options

I can easily create a salad that has the same number of calories as a couple of pieces of pizza. Most people could.

This thread should be renamed Face Palm. I need to articulate myself better or come up with better analogies. But, I like to think most people can determine 'good' from 'bad' food choices. If they can't, then there's no helping them. YES - they need to count calories.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

This thread should be renamed Face Palm. I need to articulate myself better or come up with better analogies. But, I like to think most people can determine 'good' from 'bad' food choices. If they can't, then there's no helping them. YES - they need to count calories.

What do you consider good foods and bad foods...?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Well, when you keep saying that people will automatically be in a deficit if they choose certain foods, you're going to be challenged. "Salad" covers a wide variety of meals -- some are low calorie, some are high calorie, some are in the middle. Some salads will have more calories than pizza. This doesn't make those salads "bad," it just demonstrates that counting calories is more useful for losing weight than choosing salad instead of pizza.

• amusedmonkey
    Options

I don't know, the name "pizza" strikes fear in the hearts of many dieters. When I can eat 4 slices of pizza for the same calories as something else commonly labeled as "good", why would I need to slap the "bad" label on the pizza? That's the beauty of counting calories. The freedom you get in your food choices.

Most people are perfectly capable of slapping the "bad" and "good" labels on things, but how accurate is it really? Just browse the forum a bit and you will find stories of people ordering a grilled chicken salad at a restaurant, for example, thinking chicken+grilled=good and low in calories and burger=bad and high in calories only to be shocked when logging their meals that they would have been much better off calorie-wise had they ordered the burger. Perception doesn't always fit the reality, that's why counting calories is an objective measure that takes the guesswork out and the judgement errors that come with it.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I think at some level, most people who count calories would prefer that they did not have to. Personally, I strive to one day not have to track any more. When I stop tracking (which I have tried a few times in the past) and just eat to satiety, my weight inevitably creeps up to about 187lbs. When I track, I can easily get back down to 180lbs. My own issue is that hunger is not the only reason I eat. I eat for taste and texture as well. So, I could be full and keep going. Tracking keeps me honest, for now, because I will try and try until I am free of it...
  • hassankarimi82
    Options

Good question, might have to give more thought. I'd say naturally occurring 'one ingredient' foods' Vs manufactured/man made.

But I do think 'healthy' is a very loose term, a bit of a red herring if you will, something that cannot be defined. Opinions will be split. I don't think calorie counting is 'healthy' for instance. It can create more of an obsessive behaviour, compulsion, rather than a balanced lifestyle. But if it works for people in a positive capacity, then you can't fault them.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Good question, might have to give more thought. I'd say naturally occurring 'one ingredient' foods' Vs manufactured/man made.

But I do think 'healthy' is a very loose term, a bit of a red herring if you will, something that cannot be defined. Opinions will be split. I don't think calorie counting is 'healthy' for instance. It can create more of an obsessive behaviour, compulsion, rather than a balanced lifestyle. But if it works for people in a positive capacity, then you can't fault them.

This I agree with, and have seen many times...
  • J72FIT
    Options

Would you agree that manufactured/manmade foods can be part of an overall healthy diet?
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    Absolutely! Everything has its place and use. But we are discussing weight loss and making 'healthier' choices over a consistent period of time without counting the calorie content, creating good habits.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Options

What do you consider a "man made" food? I make my own pasta sauce. Because I made it is then considered "man made" and therefore bad? It also has a lot of ingredients in it. Does that make it bad as well?
  • hassankarimi82
    Options

What do you consider a "man made" food? I make my own pasta sauce. Because I made it is then considered "man made" and therefore bad? It also has a lot of ingredients in it. Does that make it bad as well?

This thread is like the teenage daughter I never had.
  • hassankarimi82
    Options

But if your goal was to lose weight, why would you create a high calories meal??
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Options

But if your goal was to lose weight, why would you create a high calories meal??

But if you're not counting calories than how would one know it's a high calorie meal? It's a salad. Salad = healthy and low cal in a lot of people's mind.
  • hassankarimi82
    Options

But if you're not counting calories than how would one know it's a high calorie meal? It's a salad. Salad = healthy and low cal in a lot of people's mind.

But you'd understand the constitution of the food otherwise you wouldn't know you were creating a high calorie salad.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Absolutely! Everything has its place and use. But we are discussing weight loss and making 'healthier' choices over a consistent period of time without counting the calorie content, creating good habits.

I get what you are trying to say. Believe me I do. It's important to pay attention to the overall quality of your diet. Building good habits is important for a healthy lifestyle. Keeping a good calorie balance is also important for weight control. Those are two different things, even though they seem to overlap in a holistic approach to weight loss.

What seems to be the issue, however, is that you are confusing two different things as one. Eating healthy, or clean, or whatever you want to call it, does not automatically equal weight loss. Just take a stroll along the "diet and weight loss help" board and see how many "I'm eating clean, why am I not losing weight" topics you will find. People often have this illusion that to lose weight they need to eat clean. It may work for some to some degree, just like low carb/vegan/paleo/the twinkie diet..etc works for some to create a calorie deficit, but it does not guarantee weight loss. Like I told you earlier, I naturally eat mostly clean nutrient rich foods out of preference, yet it did not prevent me from becoming morbidly obese.

Counting calories is just a tool. Just like any tool, including healthy eating, it may trigger pre-existing issues. It does not make calorie counting inherently unhealthy, and for many people it's a very valuable tool for weight loss and maintenance.