1200 calories? Macros?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I think what @hassankarimi82 is TRYING to say (albeit lost in all these posts) is that the content of your calories matters as well. Your body craves and needs certain nutrients. You could stay under your calorie goal eating cake all day and lose weight, but it's an unhealthy way to look at weight loss. It does matter what you put into your body. So I see where he's coming from but also what everyone else is saying.

Back to OP's question, I think looking at macros can be a great tool, but starting out, I would start just tracking your calories, getting an understanding of portion control, and letting yourself adjust to that. Try to eat cleaner and exercise and the weight will start working its way off. However, if you really want to count macros, it's a great way to ensure that you're eating a well-rounded diet. I count them and it seems to be working for me! It's not for everyone though. Good luck!

but this isn't about health, nutrition or body comp...it's about weight loss...

clean eating is not required even to be healthy and neither is exercise...

Macro counting is not required for weight loss...period.

Maybe I just look at the health of my body differently. I like to track food for weight (why I'm here) but also for content. I'm not saying I eat clean and count macros 100% of the time and I also know that not everyone likes to do it that way. Exactly why I said it's not for everyone. There is nothing wrong with only looking at the calorie deficit at all, I was just throwing in my two sense about macros since OP asked.

don't get me wrong I count macros to ensure I am getting in my nutrients...
    I want to be healthy as well but when I first got here all I cared about was "weight loss"...had no clue about maintaining muscles etc...I wanted it gone and I wanted it gone fast...

Until I started reading and I got confused because of terms like clean eating, macros etc...I had been down the road of "diets"...

I feel if people get to the point I was then they strive to learn about health and nutrition but I see lots here and IRL that the bottom line is the scale and that's all that matters so I try not to throw out info that will either confuse them or cause "issues" with them...

I expect that this is a situation where the OP really cares about weight loss....

didn't mean to appear to "jump" on you. Esp since I agree with most of it.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think what @hassankarimi82 is TRYING to say (albeit lost in all these posts) is that the content of your calories matters as well. Your body craves and needs certain nutrients. You could stay under your calorie goal eating cake all day and lose weight, but it's an unhealthy way to look at weight loss. It does matter what you put into your body. So I see where he's coming from but also what everyone else is saying.

Back to OP's question, I think looking at macros can be a great tool, but starting out, I would start just tracking your calories, getting an understanding of portion control, and letting yourself adjust to that. Try to eat cleaner and exercise and the weight will start working its way off. However, if you really want to count macros, it's a great way to ensure that you're eating a well-rounded diet. I count them and it seems to be working for me! It's not for everyone though. Good luck!

Maybe I just look at the health of my body differently. I like to track food for weight (why I'm here) but also for content. I'm not saying I eat clean and count macros 100% of the time and I also know that not everyone likes to do it that way. Exactly why I said it's not for everyone. There is nothing wrong with only looking at the calorie deficit at all, I was just throwing in my two sense about macros since OP asked.

I want to be healthy as well but when I first got here all I cared about was "weight loss"...had no clue about maintaining muscles etc...I wanted it gone and I wanted it gone fast...

Until I started reading and I got confused because of terms like clean eating, macros etc...I had been down the road of "diets"...

I feel if people get to the point I was then they strive to learn about health and nutrition but I see lots here and IRL that the bottom line is the scale and that's all that matters so I try not to throw out info that will either confuse them or cause "issues" with them...

I expect that this is a situation where the OP really cares about weight loss....

No problem, I get what you're saying as well! It is a lot to handle while first starting out. I also tell anyone I help with MFP to concentrate on calories and getting in the habit of logging first. I just wanted to give OP a little information since everyone seemed to be arguing amongst themselves, haha.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Agreed! People with no knowledge of nutrition cannot do this at the same level as people who have educated themselves. Throwing ideas at them that are too complicated may to lead to failure. We have to remember where we started from, and give advice at that level. (No offense to anyone at any level ;) )
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

Oy vey! *headsmack*
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    You could stay under your calorie goal eating cake all day and lose weight, but it's an unhealthy way to look at weight loss.
    Who does this? Extreme examples prove nothing...

I wasn't saying anyone did this. I was just using an example of a type of food that one could enter, but serves little to no nutritional value. I agreed with everyone with calorie counting, I just also thinks it matters what the calories consist of. I would think your body would react better to 100 calories of grilled chicken vs 100 calories of cake. Not weight loss, just overall health.

Depends on what time of the month it is. :lol:
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    You could stay under your calorie goal eating cake all day and lose weight, but it's an unhealthy way to look at weight loss.

I wasn't saying anyone did this. I was just using an example of a type of food that one could enter, but serves little to no nutritional value. I agreed with everyone with calorie counting, I just also thinks it matters what the calories consist of. I would think your body would react better to 100 calories of grilled chicken vs 100 calories of cake. Not weight loss, just overall health.

Depends on what time of the month it is. :lol:

Well, last night, I enjoyed some caramel filled chocolate squares so I can definitely agree with this! :smiley:
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    @ashleyfxo - regarding your original question about macros: it really depends what your goals are. I think to start of with you can you the defautls. However....

IF you want to build muscle and are following a strength building program then I would increase the protein. There is a lot of variability in what people think this should be. For me I find that aiming for roughtly 1 g of protein per pound of body weight works.

Satiety - some people feel fuller with more fat and some with more carbs. It will depend on you. No one wants to be starving and your goal is an especially aggressive one. I would vary your fat/carb intake and record how that makes you feel. Personally I feel more satisfied with carbs.

And for the rest of the discussion yes Calories absolutely count but I think you already knew that since you joined MFP. Make sure that whatever you do it is sustainable, following a draconian regime for 2 weeks won't do you as much good as making small changes that will last a lifetime.

Good luck to you!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have....a friend. Why is he not obese when eating 2000 calories over maintenance?! According to MFP he should be 15 stone?! Really clean diet. High protein, high fat, low carb. Last year he weighed the same but this year dropped 5% body fat. How's that explained?! He's eating more, but making better choices. No further deficits created, such as implementing cardio.

Clearly his calorie burn is taking care of any excess. Kind of a no-brainer.
  • rloco1
    rloco1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ashleyfxo wrote: »
    I've changed my settings to lose 2lbs per week, and it's at 1200 calories which I'm fine with. Do I really need to follow the macros aswell? Or just 1200 calories?
    It wants me to have like 70g of protein and 150g carbs.. I'm trying to lose 45lbs by October

No it's calories for weight loss...

However 2lbs a week with 45lbs is a bit aggressive...Ideally you would be losing 1lb a week...

If there is a timeline on the weight loss starting earlier would have been better because as you lose weight at an aggressive pace you will lose muscle not just fat.

You need to hit your macros! Hit your Marco goal and keep it in the calories goal. Go for a 40/40/20 diet
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    rloco1 wrote: »
    I've changed my settings to lose 2lbs per week, and it's at 1200 calories which I'm fine with. Do I really need to follow the macros aswell? Or just 1200 calories?
    It wants me to have like 70g of protein and 150g carbs.. I'm trying to lose 45lbs by October

However 2lbs a week with 45lbs is a bit aggressive...Ideally you would be losing 1lb a week...

If there is a timeline on the weight loss starting earlier would have been better because as you lose weight at an aggressive pace you will lose muscle not just fat.

You need to hit your macros! Hit your Marco goal and keep it in the calories goal. Go for a 40/40/20 diet

no you don't need to hit your macros...as for the 40/40/20 that might not fit their lifestyle...doesn't fit mine.

0.8 grams of protein for each lb of weight (since I lift)
    0.35 grams of fat for each lb of weight
    rest carbs.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    rloco1 wrote: »

no you don't need to hit your macros...as for the 40/40/20 that might not fit their lifestyle...doesn't fit mine.

0.8 grams of protein for each lb of weight (since I lift)
    0.35 grams of fat for each lb of weight
    rest carbs.

Try to get 15 grams of fiber per 1000 calories as well...
  • J72FIT
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have....a friend. Why is he not obese when eating 2000 calories over maintenance?! According to MFP he should be 15 stone?! Really clean diet. High protein, high fat, low carb. Last year he weighed the same but this year dropped 5% body fat. How's that explained?! He's eating more, but making better choices. No further deficits created, such as implementing cardio.

Well there are two scenarios that I can think of.
    1) He put on muscle and burned a little fat or...
    2) He in fact did not drop 5% body fat in a 2000 calorie surplus because that would be absurd...
  • J72FIT
    Options

Because he is not over maintenance. Either his maintenance is higher than originally thought, or he is eating less calories than he thinks, because he is not logging/tracking them.

Nope. Logging & tracking everything.

Then his maintenance is higher then he thought...
  • J72FIT
    Options

I wasn't saying anyone did this. I was just using an example of a type of food that one could enter, but serves little to no nutritional value.

So you used an example for something you admit no one would do? Weird...
    I agreed with everyone with calorie counting, I just also thinks it matters what the calories consist of. I would think your body would react better to 100 calories of grilled chicken vs 100 calories of cake. Not weight loss, just overall health.
    Calories are units of energy, nothing more nothing less...

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If your new to losing weight, YES! Please track everything. Get yourself into the habit of what your food needs to look like. Know what 1800 looks like versus 1300, or 3500! Understand what a piece of cake will do to your body versus a serving of green beans. The problem people run into is they do not want to put in the work, so they don't bother, and they continue their unhealthy lifestyle. For those who want to make the change, and want to dedicate themselves, I will always recommend knowing what servings size they need to consume and after a while, it'll become second nature and they won't have to track any more.

Eating a piece of cake can make me happy. So can the green beans. Just depends on my mood. Both feed my body.
  • HarmoniousExpression
    HarmoniousExpression Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Calories
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

Just a note, @Ashleyfxo. When you get conflicting information from different posters, look and see how many posts they have made. @hassankarimi82 has made 42 posts. @teabea has made 9,085 posts and @SezxyStef has made 12,323 posts. You probably want to listen to the people who have been around awhile (and know what they are talking about).

I have only posted maybe 2x, because I have a job and a life, but I do have something to say on this topic: I have found that it really is math--calories in and calories out. I also do not agree with the low carb craze. I am a vegan body builder (my profile pic is NOT me however) and have had a great year of getting into shape. There are a ton of opinions out there so I experimented with different ways of doing this. I counted macros for a while; I increased and decreased calories on a schedule; I intermittent fasted. I figured out what works for me. You will too. Trust yourself and educate yourself.

I always weigh and measure and log my food (though I am now using cronometer). My food journey is ongoing and I appreciate other's opinions. However, I trust myself and my experience above all others.

Hi there! New vegan here. I been debating if cronometer is different or the same as myfitnesspal. ..could you please share more?
    How you use it, how it differs, pros, cons, etc.
    Thank you.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

Just a note, @Ashleyfxo. When you get conflicting information from different posters, look and see how many posts they have made. @hassankarimi82 has made 42 posts. @teabea has made 9,085 posts and @SezxyStef has made 12,323 posts. You probably want to listen to the people who have been around awhile (and know what they are talking about).

How does the fact that someone has a lot of posts on this site mean they know more than anyone else? I can easily rack up 1,000 posts in a week if I want to stay on here all throughout each day posting. That's the same on any discussion board on the internet, lol. :D:D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

How does the fact that someone has a lot of posts on this site mean they know more than anyone else? I can easily rack up 1,000 posts in a week if I want to stay on here all throughout each day posting. That's the same on any discussion board on the internet, lol. :D:D

Number of posts doesn't really mean anything IMO. There's folks with thousands of posts who hang out mainly in the chit chat board, then there's the post "collectors".
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

It's more about the content of the posts and chances are that if you don't post much you either have nothing to add or have posted previous and gotten served for giving out bad information.

As well it's more about who has been here for a while and shown they are learning more and more and giving good solid advice that helps people.

Even if there are some people who could think a poster is an idiot that doesn't make it true. There are a lot of smart educated individuals here (sometime you never know when you are talking to a doctor or a RD or Physiotherapist) who read studies as part of their job and pass along information to people who want it.

For example look at the user voted "most valuable posts" that have been put in a pinned post..that's a good sign too.