1200 calories? Macros?

Options

Replies

• ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    ashleyfxo wrote: »
    I've changed my settings to lose 2lbs per week, and it's at 1200 calories which I'm fine with. Do I really need to follow the macros aswell? Or just 1200 calories?
    It wants me to have like 70g of protein and 150g carbs.. I'm trying to lose 45lbs by October

Calories are much more important than macros. You'll find a lot of disagreement on macros but a relative consensus about calorie targets. The main thing about any plan is that it be something you can actually do over a sustained period.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    To see if your goal weight is healthy,
    and see if your calorie intake is healthy,
    go plug your numbers in here:
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
    (That's from the Baylor College of Medicine.)

Once you have a healthy goal (weight, calories, rate of loss), here's a table which explains the healthy macro
    ranges, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

So for someone with a calorie goal of 2000 per day, that would be
    50% carbs, 1000 cal, 250 g
    25% fat, 500 cal, 56g
    25% protein, 500 cal, 125 g
    (just to take the simplest example as a starting point; adjust for your own needs, to see where you feel best)

Even if your goal of losing 45 lb is healthy, losing 2 lb a week isn't.
    You might manage it for a few weeks, but 1 lb would be healthier,
    and pretty soon it will slow to 0.5 lb or less.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Of course your going to lose weight by counting calories, all I'm saying is, there is no need to. Just make better choices! The consistency in making better food choices will result in weight loss. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent calories in a damn pizza to make up for the loss!

I think everyone need to weigh out a chill pill, log the calories & macros and RELAX!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Of course your going to lose weight by counting calories, all I'm saying is, there is no need to. Just make better choices! The consistency in making better food choices will result in weight loss. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent calories in a damn pizza to make up for the loss!

I think everyone need to weigh out a chill pill, log the calories & macros and RELAX!!

Are you saying it is not possible to overeat if one is making "good" choices?
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Of course it is! My point is, the choices you make will ultimately affect the outcome. If you had pizza every night for dinner, and you replaced that with say salad, then you know it won't be the same. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent in salad to pizza calorie wise, I'm saying YOU WILL KNOW WITHOUT COUNTING CALORIES YOU WILL BE IN A DEFICIT.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Of course it is! My point is, the choices you make will ultimately affect the outcome. If you had pizza every night for dinner, and you replaced that with say salad, then you know it won't be the same. I'm not saying you have to eat the equivalent in salad to pizza calorie wise, I'm saying YOU WILL KNOW WITHOUT COUNTING CALORIES YOU WILL BE IN A DEFICIT.

Agree. Instead of a whole pizza, have two slices and a salad. Enjoy your foods you love but eat responsibly.
  • hassankarimi82
    Options

Agree. Instead of a whole pizza, have two slices and a salad. Enjoy your foods you love but eat responsibly.

Hallelujah brother!!

Happy Hanukkah! Merry Christmas! Good afternoon, good evening and goodnight.

I have exorcised the demons! My work here....is done.
  • J72FIT
    edited May 2016
    Options

Hallelujah brother!!

lol! Let's not get crazy... ;)

You would agree though that tracking, at least in the beginning, is a valuable tool to learn proper portions for the individual. If they need to of course. Some people are blessed and don't have too. Others in my experience are not so lucky...
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Actualy, I would not. That is why I am back trying to lose the weight by counting calories, yet again. I had a 800 kcal + at a meeting this morning, it turns out, and plenty room for more. (Granted, you probably were not referring to boterkoeken, but still...). Some people do not need to count to lose weight, some do.
    Put food I like in front of me, and my inner cavewoman awakens, I eat till I almost feel my stomach rupture. It just is not fair that CICO is real.
  • hassankarimi82
    Options

Hallelujah brother!!

You would agree though that tracking, at least in the beginning, is a valuable tool to learn proper portions for the individual. If they need to of course. Some people are blessed and don't have too. Others in my experience are not so lucky...

Can't argue with that, but when it comes to counting peas, something went wrong.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Hallelujah brother!!

Can't argue with that, but when it comes to counting peas, something went wrong.

I don't know, peas are fairly calorie dense ;)
  • Pickleheadgirl
    Pickleheadgirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am probably going to kick myself but several posters here have mentioned "IIFC" or something like that on this thread...can someone tell me what that stands for??? thanks.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Hallelujah brother!!

haha. I weigh all my veggies esp peas, carrots and corn. Lettuce eh...I do that because the bowl is on the scale for the chicken and cheese.

My son lost without logging...my husband loses without logging
    I don't lose without logging...

I don't maintain without logging...would like to get to that point but I know at this point it won't happen...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I am probably going to kick myself but several posters here have mentioned "IIFC" or something like that on this thread...can someone tell me what that stands for??? thanks.

Do you mean IIFYM? It's short for "if it fits your macros", as in you can eat the things you like in moderation as long as you are within your target for protein/fat/carbs.
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Hallelujah brother!!

haha. I weigh all my veggies esp peas, carrots and corn. Lettuce eh...I do that because the bowl is on the scale for the chicken and cheese.

I don't maintain without logging...would like to get to that point but I know at this point it won't happen...

You need liberating. Throw away the scales, REVOLUTION!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Hallelujah brother!!

naw I use it for cooking as well. Cakes, pies, cookies etc.

• hassankarimi82
    Options

Hallelujah brother!!

naw I use it for cooking as well. Cakes, pies, cookies etc.

Precisely my argument. Take a hella peas to make you obese.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Most people are here trying to lose weight because THEY DIDN'T KNOW WITHOUT COUNTING CALORIES THEY WEREN'T IN A DEFICIT!

• hassankarimi82
    Options

Most people are here trying to lose weight because THEY DIDN'T KNOW WITHOUT COUNTING CALORIES THEY WEREN'T IN A DEFICIT!

LOUD NOISES!! You must know by looking at a pizza and then a salad, what will have the least amount of calories?
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

Just a note, @Ashleyfxo. When you get conflicting information from different posters, look and see how many posts they have made. @hassankarimi82 has made 42 posts. @teabea has made 9,085 posts and @SezxyStef has made 12,323 posts. You probably want to listen to the people who have been around awhile (and know what they are talking about).

@Ashleyfxo also FYI, @quiksylver296 knows her stuff. ;)