1200 calories? Macros?

Options

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's come down to the calories in peas. Counting....peas. What if you ate too many? Purge?! This is getting a bit silly now, but I think we can all differentiate between good and bad choices. Food is there to be enjoyed. Have fun people.

For the record...you brought up peas.
    And lettuce.
    And cake.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I can't believe it's come down to the calories in peas. Counting....peas. What if you ate too many? Purge?! This is getting a bit silly now, but I think we can all differentiate between good and bad choices. Food is there to be enjoyed. Have fun people.

For the record...you brought up peas.
    And lettuce.
    And cake.

Haha, true that. Good combos.
  • CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lost 45 lbs in 2 months and still going strong. calories matter. macros also matter. calories is about half of it. then macros. then nutrient timing, food quality and supplements in order. just as an example, you eat 1200 calories of only carbs vs 1200 calories of protein vs 1200 calories of fat, you will have different body compositions with each. 2 will be more similar than the 3rd, but you get the idea. make sure you get your protein and lower your carbs while making the ones you eat higher quality. make your first meal high protein and fat. you can do it! feel free to hit me up for help. I haven't figured out how to keep up with forums yet, so I'm a bit of a seagull on these posts. good luck!
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

LOL. Of course calories count and some salads, especially those you get at a restaurant, can have upwards of 1,000 calories! I know some of mine have 500-600 calories in them. To say "calories don't count" is utter rubbish. In this line of thinking you're saying that I can eat 10,000 calories a day but as long as I'm getting those calories form "good food sources" and have high protein and quality fats I'm not going to gain an ounce.

Misinformation much?
  • Sassie_Lassie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You could say - macro and calorie track and eat junk food and reach your goals, but making good choices wouldn't require you to be strict and calories count. Are you saying a surplus of lettuce should be logged and tracked?! Do you weigh out....peas? Crazy if you ask me.

Example -
    CAKE, track it yes.
    VEGETABLES, don't bother. Fill your boots!
    Understand? It depends on what the foods consist of.

You can get fat on vegetables if you're going over calorie goals. It does not depend on what the food consists of. Too many calories regardless of the food source = weight gain.

And yes, I weigh out EVERYTHING that I put on my plate.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is important to properly lose weight. Macros are important so that you properly nourish your body while restricting your calories.

Why does this seem so simple to me?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus.
    Because you were not in a surplus. Besides, you don't track so you have no idea if you were in a surplus or a deficit...
    It's sad that people track calories.
    I find this comment offensive...
    There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake.
    Sorry amigo, the calories are the same. A calorie is a unit of energy, nothing more nothing less. Nutritionally, sure there is a difference, but not calorically...
    Calories do not count. Quality food counts.
    Calories count, sorry, they just do...

Sorry bro, I don't have a clue.

Clearly...
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    What have I created?! Yeah, sorry. Don't listen to me.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Options
    So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus.
    Because you were not in a surplus. Besides, you don't track so you have no idea if you were in a surplus or a deficit...
    It's sad that people track calories.
    I find this comment offensive...
    There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake.
    Sorry amigo, the calories are the same. A calorie is a unit of energy, nothing more nothing less. Nutritionally, sure there is a difference, but not calorically...
    Calories do not count. Quality food counts.
    Calories count, sorry, they just do...

Sorry bro, I don't have a clue.

At least you've finally admitted it.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    What have I created?! Yeah, sorry. Don't listen to me.

Lol...
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    Did anyone see the game last night?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

Calories do count... but I have a question.

Are you talking about the "If it fits your macros" way of eating? Assuming 1) you're in a macro deficit and 2) you're counting protein, fat, and carbs and meeting but not exceeding your daily allotment, when you calculate the calories consumed based on these variables, you would still be in a deficit calorically. Many people do use this method and have success since it helps to ensure satiety.
    4 calories to 1 gram of either protein or carb and 9 calories for 1 gram of fat. You can literally do the math. But it wouldn't be necessary as long as you're not going over.

But in the end... the calories still count, whether you are actually counting them or not.

Anyway... OP, 1200 calories a day is really hard to maintain. I've tried. You can try, but don't be afraid to increase it if you find it's not working for you. If you're eating too much of one macro and not enough of others, you might find it harder to stick to 1200 calories just because you may feel hungrier than you need to feel on the same amount of calories using different foods.
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Are you talking about the "If it fits your macros" way of eating? Assuming 1) you're in a macro deficit and 2) you're counting protein, fat, and carbs and meeting but not exceeding your daily allotment, when you calculate the calories consumed based on these variables, you would still be in a deficit calorically. Many people do use this method and have success since it helps to ensure satiety.

But in the end... the calories still count, whether you are actually counting them or not.

I hate IIFYM. That is the worst approach a person can take to dieting. I am all for eating food, and having that variety. But People abuse this more then they should, and then blame others for their short comings. Hey, I love cake, but I know I can't eat it every day, or even once a week. Be mindful of what your consuming.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

So much bad information here..........

OP - calories count. Always. @SezxyStef is correct.

So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus. It's sad that people track calories. There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake. Calories do not count. Quality food counts.

Buy a food scale.

Haha! I didn't realise how volatile the community is. If we're being petty and childish, how about taking advice from people who look AWESOME and actually know what they're talking about. I've got a scale, but what the hell has that got to do with anything?! There's a lot of people here creating bad, unhealthy habits. Good quality food should not be tracked, weighed, whatever. A lifestyle change is key with consistency over time. I think everyone can distinguish good choices from bad.

Okay so if I eat 3000 calories of good quality food I will be fine and won't gain even though my maintenance is 2400....is that what you are saying?

Has @hassankarimi82 answered this yet?
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

So much bad information here..........

OP - calories count. Always. @SezxyStef is correct.

So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus. It's sad that people track calories. There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake. Calories do not count. Quality food counts.

Buy a food scale.

Haha! I didn't realise how volatile the community is. If we're being petty and childish, how about taking advice from people who look AWESOME and actually know what they're talking about. I've got a scale, but what the hell has that got to do with anything?! There's a lot of people here creating bad, unhealthy habits. Good quality food should not be tracked, weighed, whatever. A lifestyle change is key with consistency over time. I think everyone can distinguish good choices from bad.

Okay so if I eat 3000 calories of good quality food I will be fine and won't gain even though my maintenance is 2400....is that what you are saying?

Has @hassankarimi82 answered this yet?

Let me Google it first.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    ashleyfxo wrote: »
    I've changed my settings to lose 2lbs per week, and it's at 1200 calories which I'm fine with. Do I really need to follow the macros aswell? Or just 1200 calories?
    It wants me to have like 70g of protein and 150g carbs.. I'm trying to lose 45lbs by October

@ashleyfxo Looks like your original question has gotten lost in the debate. My two cents: the macros that MFP or other sites give you are a decent starting point if you choose to track them, but they're by no means the only set of macros that would work for you and they aren't necessary for weight loss. You should feel free to play around and find the way of eating that works best for you :drinker:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MindPump1 wrote: »

I hate IIFYM. That is the worst approach a person can take to dieting. I am all for eating food, and having that variety. But People abuse this more then they should, and then blame others for their short comings. Hey, I love cake, but I know I can't eat it every day, or even once a week. Be mindful of what your consuming.

Making sure I meet my nutritional and calorie goals is the worst approach a person can take to dieting?

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options

I don't use it either, but it sounded like what that poster might have - maybe - been trying to say.
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Then you clearly do not understand IIFYM...

Give me a break! I do understand it. I have been around long enough to see people go, oh I can eat this cookie, or this donut because it fits into my calories, and fat and carbs for the day. Hell I even used it for a period of time. If you give people an inch they will take a mile, and I'm not saying that everyone abusing it, so don't think that I am saying that. What I am saying is, I don't care for it because people use it as a poor excuse to cheat on their diets. If people focused on eating a balanced diet, instead of trying to squeeze food into they shouldn't been eating in the first place they would have better results in the long run. If someone planned every Friday they were going to eat a donut and built that into their plan, good for them. But IIFYM comes from people, adding food throughout the day to meet whatever their goals are, not taking time to plan their meals out out in advance.