1200 calories? Macros?

Options

Replies

• hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Your message was clear. Albeit bad info for OP and her goals- it was clear. Nothing lost here.[/quote]

Well, I don't think it's bad info. It works for me and my clients. I try to encourage good, healthy habits and personally, calorie counting isn't great. Fair enough if your prepping for a show or whatever. But as a lifestyle, a calorie deficit will result in weight loss, regardless of what you eat. But what that food is made up from, is the fundamental aspect.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

Just a note, @Ashleyfxo. When you get conflicting information from different posters, look and see how many posts they have made. @hassankarimi82 has made 42 posts. @teabea has made 9,085 posts and @SezxyStef has made 12,323 posts. You probably want to listen to the people who have been around awhile (and know what they are talking about).

So now the amount of posts on a forum make you an expert in fitness and nutrition? Well, guess I better quit my day job and focus on making posts here all day.

@hassankarimi82, I am in the same boat. I don't focus to hard on my daily calorie count. Some days I hit 1800, some I may do 1300. Eating the right foods is far more important then trying to fit a piece of cake into your macros. Don't be one of those people, IIFYM (if it fits your macros), you'll only find yourself making excuses to eat foods your shouldn't eat. I have also noticed on this page, there is a lot of conflicting information. @ashleyfxo, its going to be tough to weed through it for your purpose. The most basic advice I can say is, focus on eating a healthy variety of foods, veggies, meats, fruits, carbs, nuts, oils. For protein, I personally eat about .7-.9 grams per body pound and sometimes less depending the day. I think the carbs might be a bit high if your trying to lose weight, but that's my opinion. @ashleyfxo, I if your looking for good nutritional advice, and have some time to spare, I advice listening to Mind Pump. They are a fitness podcast on iTunes, and have taught me a lot about eating right, along with much more. Check them out. Best of luck shifting through all this clutter.

But if you are keeping your calorie count under 1800 per day, you're going to lose weight. If you go over your TDEE (whatever that is for you. For me, it's approximately 2200 calories), you will gain weight, right? That's all we're saying.
  • quiksylver296
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Your message was clear. Albeit bad info for OP and her goals- it was clear. Nothing lost here.
    Well, I don't think it's bad info. It works for me and my clients. I try to encourage good, healthy habits and personally, calorie counting isn't great. Fair enough if your prepping for a show or whatever. But as a lifestyle, a calorie deficit will result in weight loss, regardless of what you eat. But what that food is made up from, is the fundamental aspect.

Um, this is what we are all saying... :/
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Good quality food should not be tracked, weighed, whatever.
    This is terrible advice. For those lucky enough to not have to track God Bless them. For the average person, tracking, at least in the beginning, will teach proper portion size...
    A lifestyle change is key with consistency over time.
    100% agree with this...
    I think everyone can distinguish good choices from bad.
    The notion of good vs bad food is a bad idea. Nutrition is not black and white, there are many shades of grey. You can not determine a foods worth without the context of the overall diet...
    There's a lot of people here creating bad, unhealthy habits.
    Indeed...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Totally lost in translation because everyone wants to be 'right'.

Yes, we do tend to like to provide accurate and correct information in response to questions. It's a weird thing we've got going on here . . .
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

Just a note, @Ashleyfxo. When you get conflicting information from different posters, look and see how many posts they have made. @hassankarimi82 has made 42 posts. @teabea has made 9,085 posts and @SezxyStef has made 12,323 posts. You probably want to listen to the people who have been around awhile (and know what they are talking about).

So now the amount of posts on a forum make you an expert in fitness and nutrition? Well, guess I better quit my day job and focus on making posts here all day.

@hassankarimi82, I am in the same boat. I don't focus to hard on my daily calorie count. Some days I hit 1800, some I may do 1300. Eating the right foods is far more important then trying to fit a piece of cake into your macros. Don't be one of those people, IIFYM (if it fits your macros), you'll only find yourself making excuses to eat foods your shouldn't eat. I have also noticed on this page, there is a lot of conflicting information. @ashleyfxo, its going to be tough to weed through it for your purpose. The most basic advice I can say is, focus on eating a healthy variety of foods, veggies, meats, fruits, carbs, nuts, oils. For protein, I personally eat about .7-.9 grams per body pound and sometimes less depending the day. I think the carbs might be a bit high if your trying to lose weight, but that's my opinion. @ashleyfxo, I if your looking for good nutritional advice, and have some time to spare, I advice listening to Mind Pump. They are a fitness podcast on iTunes, and have taught me a lot about eating right, along with much more. Check them out. Best of luck shifting through all this clutter.

But if you are keeping your calorie count under 1800 per day, you're going to lose weight. If you go over your TDEE (whatever that is for you. For me, it's approximately 2200 calories), you will gain weight, right?

Not necessarily. Its all about calories in versus calories out. On an off day from the gym I fast longer, and consume less then on a day where I will be in the gym lifting heavy. I Just know what I need to eat to feel full, and have enough energy to get to the next meal.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Your message was clear. Albeit bad info for OP and her goals- it was clear. Nothing lost here.

Majoring in the minors. Everyone knows healthy options are better than a diet full of junk food. No one is arguing that. "A balanced diet" has been burned into our brain. Thats not brand new information.

Why do you think OP (along with many others) needs to lose weight? From overeating- and could very well have been overeating your good/healthy foods.
    You are saying QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. Well that quantity is fundamental as well.

How can one know how much they are eating, and burning, and should be eating to insure they lose weight?
    By counting calories- So telling them that calories dont count <because it works for you and your clients> isnt very good advice.
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    Um, this is what we are all saying... :/ [/quote]

You could say - macro and calorie track and eat junk food and reach your goals, but making good choices wouldn't require you to be strict and calories count. Are you saying a surplus of lettuce should be logged and tracked?! Do you weigh out....peas? Crazy if you ask me.

Example -
    CAKE, track it yes.
    VEGETABLES, don't bother. Fill your boots!
    Understand? It depends on what the foods consist of.
  • quiksylver296
    edited May 2016
    Options

But if you are keeping your calorie count under 1800 per day, you're going to lose weight. If you go over your TDEE (whatever that is for you. For me, it's approximately 2200 calories), you will gain weight, right?

Not necessarily. Its all about calories in versus calories out. On an off day from the gym I fast longer, and consume less then on a day where I will be in the gym lifting heavy. I Just know what I need to eat to feel full, and have enough energy to get to the next meal.

I 100% agree with this.

Most people, however, especially if they are not currently fit and active, do not know what 1800 calories truly looks like. That's where weighing and logging can help their skewed perception. You may be able to accurately determine how many calories are in this...but the majority of people cannot.

3vq2nb2qov3b.jpg
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

[/quote]
    Well, I don't think it's bad info. It works for me and my clients. I try to encourage good, healthy habits and personally, calorie counting isn't great. Fair enough if your prepping for a show or whatever. But as a lifestyle, a calorie deficit will result in weight loss, regardless of what you eat. But what that food is made up from, is the fundamental aspect.[/quote]

Why are you on a calorie counting website if you are anti calorie counting?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Um, this is what we are all saying... :/

You could say - macro and calorie track and eat junk food and reach your goals, but making good choices wouldn't require you to be strict and calories count. Are you saying a surplus of lettuce should be logged and tracked?! Do you weigh out....peas? Crazy if you ask me.

Example -
    CAKE, track it yes.
    [/quote]

If my TDEE is 2,000 calories and I've had 1,900 calories, it doesn't matter--for the purposes of maintaining my weight--if I eat 300 more calories of cake or of broccoli.

I don't know where you got the idea that the calories in vegetables don't count, but it simply isn't true. Your body can recognize and use the calories in vegetables and -- if they put you over the amount you're using -- your body can store them for later use, just like it can with cake.

A surplus of *anything* should be tracked. One cup of peas has 118 calories. Why is that less important than a tablespoon of olive oil?
  • quiksylver296
    edited May 2016
    Options

Example -
    CAKE, track it yes.

Yes, I understand. Because I've been doing this quite awhile. But does the newbie understand, or know, how many calories are in peas? Do they realize that something can be considered "healthy", avocado, for example, and still be calorie dense? Probably not. They should probably start at the beginning and build understanding, and then begin to figure out what they can eyeball.

Knowledge and education first.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

So much bad information here..........

OP - calories count. Always. @SezxyStef is correct.

So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus. It's sad that people track calories. There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake. Calories do not count. Quality food counts.

No, there is not a difference in the calories - 100 calories of salad and 100 calories of cake give off the same amount of hear when burned. And burning it is how the calories are determined.

There is a world of difference in the nutritional value of 100 calories of salad and 100 calories of cake. And a world of difference in the taste. Since I like both, I make room for both.

OP - my experience is that 70g of protein is a bare minimum to keep me feeling satiated and feeling satiated is the key to eating within my calorie goals.

Edit: Hear should be heat...and I should proofread. Sorry...
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

I 100% agree with this.

Most people, however, especially if they are not currently fit and active, do not know what 1800 calories truly looks like. That's where weighing and logging can help their skewed perception. You may be able to accurately determine how many calories are in this...but the majority of people cannot.

3vq2nb2qov3b.jpg

If your new to losing weight, YES! Please track everything. Get yourself into the habit of what your food needs to look like. Know what 1800 looks like versus 1300, or 3500! Understand what a piece of cake will do to your body versus a serving of green beans. The problem people run into is they do not want to put in the work, so they don't bother, and they continue their unhealthy lifestyle. For those who want to make the change, and want to dedicate themselves, I will always recommend knowing what servings size they need to consume and after a while, it'll become second nature and they won't have to track any more.
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    I can't believe it's come down to the calories in peas. Counting....peas. What if you ate too many? Purge?! This is getting a bit silly now, but I think we can all differentiate between good and bad choices. Food is there to be enjoyed. Have fun people.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus.
    Because you were not in a surplus. Besides, you don't track so you have no idea if you were in a surplus or a deficit...
    It's sad that people track calories.
    I find this comment offensive...
    There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake.
    Sorry amigo, the calories are the same. A calorie is a unit of energy, nothing more nothing less. Nutritionally, sure there is a difference, but not calorically...
    Calories do not count. Quality food counts.
    Calories count, sorry, they just do...
  • hassankarimi82
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus.
    Because you were not in a surplus. Besides, you don't track so you have no idea if you were in a surplus or a deficit...
    It's sad that people track calories.
    I find this comment offensive...
    There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake.
    Sorry amigo, the calories are the same. A calorie is a unit of energy, nothing more nothing less. Nutritionally, sure there is a difference, but not calorically...
    Calories do not count. Quality food counts.
    Calories count, sorry, they just do...

Sorry bro, I don't have a clue.