Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

Calories do count... but I have a question.

Are you talking about the "If it fits your macros" way of eating? Assuming 1) you're in a macro deficit and 2) you're counting protein, fat, and carbs and meeting but not exceeding your daily allotment, when you calculate the calories consumed based on these variables, you would still be in a deficit calorically. Many people do use this method and have success since it helps to ensure satiety.

But in the end... the calories still count, whether you are actually counting them or not.

I hate IIFYM. That is the worst approach a person can take to dieting. I am all for eating food, and having that variety. But People abuse this more then they should, and then blame others for their short comings. Hey, I love cake, but I know I can't eat it every day, or even once a week. Be mindful of what your consuming.

Then you clearly do not understand IIFYM...

Give me a break! I do understand it. I have been around long enough to see people go, oh I can eat this cookie, or this donut because it fits into my calories, and fat and carbs for the day. Hell I even used it for a period of time. If you give people an inch they will take a mile, and I'm not saying that everyone abusing it, so don't think that I am saying that. What I am saying is, I don't care for it because people use it as a poor excuse to cheat on their diets. If people focused on eating a balanced diet, instead of trying to squeeze food into they shouldn't been eating in the first place they would have better results in the long run. If someone planned every Friday they were going to eat a donut and built that into their plan, good for them. But IIFYM comes from people, adding food throughout the day to meet whatever their goals are, not taking time to plan their meals out out in advance.

If my calorie and nutritional needs are being met, how is it "cheating" to eat a cookie? If I'm meeting my needs, then my diet must already be balanced, right?

I do IIFYM and I pre-log my meals. IIFYM isn't about just adding food throughout the day. You need to consider the context of the entire day to know if something *does* fit your macros or not.

I know you say you understand it, but your comments make it seem like you really don't.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Calories don't count. The constitution of the food does! You could eat salad and veg all day everyday and not hit that calorie target. Just eat good food sources. Keep protein high with some good quality fats. If you want to lose body fat, reduce your carbohydrate intake. Track carbs, not calories!

So much bad information here..........

OP - calories count. Always. @SezxyStef is correct.

So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus. It's sad that people track calories. There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake. Calories do not count. Quality food counts.

Buy a food scale.

Haha! I didn't realise how volatile the community is. If we're being petty and childish, how about taking advice from people who look AWESOME and actually know what they're talking about. I've got a scale, but what the hell has that got to do with anything?! There's a lot of people here creating bad, unhealthy habits. Good quality food should not be tracked, weighed, whatever. A lifestyle change is key with consistency over time. I think everyone can distinguish good choices from bad.

Okay so if I eat 3000 calories of good quality food I will be fine and won't gain even though my maintenance is 2400....is that what you are saying?

That's pretty much what he's saying. Good quality food has magical weight loss properties.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Are you talking about the "If it fits your macros" way of eating? Assuming 1) you're in a macro deficit and 2) you're counting protein, fat, and carbs and meeting but not exceeding your daily allotment, when you calculate the calories consumed based on these variables, you would still be in a deficit calorically. Many people do use this method and have success since it helps to ensure satiety.

But in the end... the calories still count, whether you are actually counting them or not.

I hate IIFYM. That is the worst approach a person can take to dieting. I am all for eating food, and having that variety. But People abuse this more then they should, and then blame others for their short comings. Hey, I love cake, but I know I can't eat it every day, or even once a week. Be mindful of what your consuming.

Give me a break! I do understand it. I have been around long enough to see people go, oh I can eat this cookie, or this donut because it fits into my calories, and fat and carbs for the day. Hell I even used it for a period of time. If you give people an inch they will take a mile, and I'm not saying that everyone abusing it, so don't think that I am saying that. What I am saying is, I don't care for it because people use it as a poor excuse to cheat on their diets. If people focused on eating a balanced diet, instead of trying to squeeze food into they shouldn't been eating in the first place they would have better results in the long run. If someone planned every Friday they were going to eat a donut and built that into their plan, good for them. But IIFYM comes from people, adding food throughout the day to meet whatever their goals are, not taking time to plan their meals out out in advance.

IIFYM is not intended as an excuse to eat a poor diet, if it is being used that way then the dieter does not know what it is either...
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

If my calorie and nutritional needs are being met, how is it "cheating" to eat a cookie? If I'm meeting my needs, then my diet must already be balanced, right?

I do IIFYM and I pre-log my meals. IIFYM isn't about just adding food throughout the day. You need to consider the context of the entire day to know if something *does* fit your macros or not.

I know you say you understand it, but your comments make it seem like you really don't.

Just because your "meeting your needs" doesn't mean your diet is balanced. I'm not going to pick a fight. I'm not here to argue over stupid things like IFFYM. I have a view point. You have a point. You do you, I do whats good for me. It'll work out in the end. I am curious though, when you say meeting your needs, how? Are you hitting our macros? Are you using IFFYM to do so?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Just because your "meeting your needs" doesn't mean your diet is balanced.
    ???
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Poor implementation of a system does not define the system, it defines the user...

Exactly this.
  • quiksylver296
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ashleyfxo wrote: »
    I've changed my settings to lose 2lbs per week, and it's at 1200 calories which I'm fine with. Do I really need to follow the macros aswell? Or just 1200 calories?
    It wants me to have like 70g of protein and 150g carbs.. I'm trying to lose 45lbs by October

@ashleyfxo

To attempt to answer your original question with my own, personal experience...

Depending on your personal goals - you only need to worry about the calorie number.

I am attempting to lose weight while maintaining as much muscle as possible, so I am also concerned with the protein number.

My calories are set at 1930 calories per day. My first concern is to hit this number. My protein is set at 145 grams per day. My second concern is to hit this number. When I hit #1 and #2, my carbs and fats usually fall in line, so I never worry about them.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Poor implementation of a system does not define the system, it defines the user...

Exactly this.

That and poor comprehension of a system...
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OP, calories count. But I think what @hassankarimi82 is getting at is that the macros count too, if you want to lose weight AND give your body what it needs.
    Both sides have a valid point - yes you should eat well, but if you eat more "clean" foods than you can burn, you won't lose weight.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I prefer an inclusive mindset for diet meaning, what can I add to my diet rather then eliminate to move me closer to my goals. When I do that I feel like I have my head right. I find it fairly difficult to eat "junk food" to excess when I am focused on getting the protein, fat and fiber I need. The best thing I ever did for myself was lose the good food bad food mentality. It really took the stress out of eating for me.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I prefer an inclusive mindset for diet meaning, what can I add to my diet rather then eliminate to move me closer to my goals. When I do that I feel like I have my head right. I find it fairly difficult to eat "junk food" to excess when I am focused on getting the protein, fat and fiber I need. The best thing I ever did for myself was lose the good food bad food mentality. It really took the stress out of eating for me.

Agreed. I like you.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Just because your "meeting your needs" doesn't mean your diet is balanced. I'm not going to pick a fight. I'm not here to argue over stupid things like IFFYM. I have a view point. You have a point. You do you, I do whats good for me. It'll work out in the end. I am curious though, when you say meeting your needs, how? Are you hitting our macros? Are you using IFFYM to do so?

If one is meeting all one's nutritional needs, what is out of balance? I'm not trying to sharpshoot you here, I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about.

When I say I'm meeting my needs, I mean that I'm hitting my macro- and micronutrient goals (I track additional vitamins/minerals that MFP doesn't track on another website, as well as ensure that my protein needs are being met through by the full range of amino acids).

If meeting macro- and micronutrient goals while maintaining one's weight in a healthy range isn't a balanced diet, what do you consider to be balanced?
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

So if calories count, then why am I not 15 stone like fitness pal says I should be after a year of eating quality food in a surplus. It's sad that people track calories. There is a great difference in the calories on a plate full of vegetables than a plate with cake. Calories do not count. Quality food counts.

Buy a food scale.

Haha! I didn't realise how volatile the community is. If we're being petty and childish, how about taking advice from people who look AWESOME and actually know what they're talking about. I've got a scale, but what the hell has that got to do with anything?! There's a lot of people here creating bad, unhealthy habits. Good quality food should not be tracked, weighed, whatever. A lifestyle change is key with consistency over time. I think everyone can distinguish good choices from bad.

Okay so if I eat 3000 calories of good quality food I will be fine and won't gain even though my maintenance is 2400....is that what you are saying?

That's pretty much what he's saying. Good quality food has magical weight loss properties.

What I'm saying is, simply by making better choices, you will be successful in your goals, regardless of calories. Whoever said they'd get fat eating vegetables is crazy!! This is obsessive to think so, and is not setting a good example.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Buy a food scale.

What I'm saying is, simply by making better choices, you will be successful in your goals, regardless of calories. Whoever said they'd get fat eating vegetables is crazy!! This is obsessive to think so, and is not setting a good example.
    Sorry, no...
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Buy a food scale.

Oh goodness you actually believe what you spew?? This is all just so incredibly wrong.

Yes, you can get fat eating vegetable if you're going over your daily calorie goal. Why is that so hard to understand?? Do you honestly believe that vegetables have no calories or some kind of magical properties that allow you to eat as many as you want and not gain?? It's calories in vs calories out. If my calorie goal for the day is 1,675 calories and I consistently eat 1,000 calories of vegetables OVER my daily intake that's 7,000 EXTRA calories that I am consuming in a week. 7,000. EXTRA. Do you honestly think I'm not going to gain weight simply because I'm eating vegetables?

I really hope you're not in the health/fitness industry, spewing off this nonsensical information.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Buy a food scale.

Unfortunately I know some fat vegetarians. Must be all those veggies slathered in coconut oil.
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

If one is meeting all one's nutritional needs, what is out of balance? I'm not trying to sharpshoot you here, I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about.

When I say I'm meeting my needs, I mean that I'm hitting my macro- and micronutrient goals (I track additional vitamins/minerals that MFP doesn't track on another website, as well as ensure that my protein needs are being met through by the full range of amino acids).

If meeting macro- and micronutrient goals while maintaining one's weight in a healthy range isn't a balanced diet, what do you consider to be balanced?

Well, I wasn't necessarily directing that statement towards you about meeting your needs. I was being broad, and I didn't explain what I meant. You can fill your macros, with food that isn't the most healthy for you to hit your macro goal, and I am guilty of it. I've eaten out and had burgers and fries as I'm sure most of us have. Another example, eating a regular potato versus maybe a sweet potato? What I'm saying, in balanced is eating more meats, veggies, fruits, carbs, nuts, oils. Foods cooked at home versus cooked in a restaurant. I think balance should be expanded into variety of foods. Ensuring that your not eating the same things each day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I follow IIFYM and have for almost 3 years...for 2 of those years I hit my protein and fat religiously...ate a chocolate bar every night of life...and no not the "good" dark chocolate...that nasty cadbury milk chocolate and those dreadful mini eggs...

I plan my meals in advance, eat well but have my treats.

Lately it's nibs and pringles...
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think what @hassankarimi82 is TRYING to say (albeit lost in all these posts) is that the content of your calories matters as well. Your body craves and needs certain nutrients. You could stay under your calorie goal eating cake all day and lose weight, but it's an unhealthy way to look at weight loss. It does matter what you put into your body. So I see where he's coming from but also what everyone else is saying.

Back to OP's question, I think looking at macros can be a great tool, but starting out, I would start just tracking your calories, getting an understanding of portion control, and letting yourself adjust to that. Try to eat cleaner and exercise and the weight will start working its way off. However, if you really want to count macros, it's a great way to ensure that you're eating a well-rounded diet. I count them and it seems to be working for me! It's not for everyone though. Good luck!