Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Carbohydrates are a easy to break down source of fuel. Unburnt excessive Carbs are broke down to glucose and stored as fat, in the liver and muscles. Which can be burned at a later time. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

I don't have a problem with Pizza, Beagles, Doughnuts or any other pastry based item. But I don't see the purpose of carb loading post workouts.

Hey CincyNeid...It's not really "carb loading" (as you would call what a marathon runner might do to prepare for a race) After a workout or a game think of it more as carb replenishing. Your muscles have burned off their stores of glycogen post workout. What your body really needs is to replenish those stores...which is why I always advise my clients and athletes to get something into their body post activity. Now, if your activity is just taking a walk around the block then no...skip the snack, but post workout....oh man, that's where the magic happens.

Meal timing is pretty much irrelevant except for advanced trainees i.e athletes and bodybuilders

Meal timing from a calorie deficit point of view sure. But timing is important for even intermediate trainees. For me, I don't need to carb load but I definitely need a combination of protein+carbs right after a heavy workout - carbs for replenishment, protein for recovery.

actually you don't...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    tscarelli1 wrote: »
    I love PF, The lunk alarm is for grunting too loudly, and dropping weights on the floor, granted, it may seem like judging, but at the same time, there is no need to drop weights just so everyone can look over and see you working out. I find it very annoying and distracting.

I also bench and do squats so they have the proper work out machines. I love the stair climber. I also love the price, can't beat it.

Do a heavy set of dumbbell bench and see if you don't want to drop the weights when you are done. There in lies the problem, people assume it's just someone showing off. People drop weights all the time where I go, and no one seems to be distracted, and no one complains. I believe it has nothing to do with "lunks", and more to do with peoples insecurities. Honestly, I don't care what gym people care to join, I just get sick of all the PC crap.

amen!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I love PF, The lunk alarm is for grunting too loudly, and dropping weights on the floor, granted, it may seem like judging, but at the same time, there is no need to drop weights just so everyone can look over and see you working out. I find it very annoying and distracting.

I also bench and do squats so they have the proper work out machines. I love the stair climber. I also love the price, can't beat it.

What's a workout machine for squats?

i am guessing that person is referring to a smith ...??????????

Lol makes sense.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Someone dropping a heavy weight (most of the time it is not to show off) is a lot less distracting than a loud siren or someone screaming because they injured themselves from not dropping the weight.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't care what gym people care to join, I just get sick of all the PC crap.

c0unscnrn28f.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

so when you are using 100# dumbbell for chest press how do you suggest getting them to the floor?

or how do you quietly put down a one rep max DL?

I put my dumbbells down like this guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XDxtAOAIrQ

thats great ...sometimes you just have to drop them ..

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Ditto. If you can't control the weight through the entire exercise, you're lifting above your ability.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

so when you are using 100# dumbbell for chest press how do you suggest getting them to the floor?

I have seen people almost fall off a bench trying to do that. Or not quite make it, and fall back. It's easier to just drop them.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Ditto. If you can't control the weight through the entire exercise, you're lifting above your ability.

If the formulas are correct....
    Lower weight + higher reps = Long Lean Muscles
    Higher Weight + lower reps = Bulk/Mass

How do you explain that one?

Not judging; just questioning.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I have seen people almost fall off a bench trying to do that. Or not quite make it, and fall back. It's easier to just drop them.

Maybe they just need to use a weight they can control.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are a easy to break down source of fuel. Unburnt excessive Carbs are broke down to glucose and stored as fat, in the liver and muscles. Which can be burned at a later time. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

I don't have a problem with Pizza, Beagles, Doughnuts or any other pastry based item. But I don't see the purpose of carb loading post workouts.

Hey CincyNeid...It's not really "carb loading" (as you would call what a marathon runner might do to prepare for a race) After a workout or a game think of it more as carb replenishing. Your muscles have burned off their stores of glycogen post workout. What your body really needs is to replenish those stores...which is why I always advise my clients and athletes to get something into their body post activity. Now, if your activity is just taking a walk around the block then no...skip the snack, but post workout....oh man, that's where the magic happens.

Meal timing is pretty much irrelevant except for advanced trainees i.e athletes and bodybuilders

Meal timing from a calorie deficit point of view sure. But timing is important for even intermediate trainees. For me, I don't need to carb load but I definitely need a combination of protein+carbs right after a heavy workout - carbs for replenishment, protein for recovery.

actually you don't...

Not sure exactly what your argument is. Personally I fit in the categories from the follow on posting showing when it would be needed and I definitely am not in the advanced trainee category. If someone fits in those categories, why wouldn't they need it? Other exercise nutritional research points to the same thing. https://www.acefitness.org/blog/5800/3-r-s-of-workout-recovery-nutrition
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

No more like lower weight= endurance
    Higher weight= muscles
    All muscle is lean and you can't lengthen your muscles without surgery
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    do what you gotta' do man, if PF is what you got to work with, then workout. Beware of ice cream night and pizza night. I'm thinking they do that to keep customers coming back and maintain some a high customer base. Just remember don't draw too much attention to yourself or they will press the alarm! People are serious about the alarm.....I was almost a trainer there. That turned me off GREATLY!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Contrary to popular opinion, grunting and dropping weights isn't typically done for attention.
    There are movements which are designed in such a way that dropping the weight is the only safe way to finish the exercise (like the snatch or clean and jerk) and times when working out with high intensity makes it involuntary (like when I try to squeeze out one more rep while deadlifting but don't quite make it).
    There are also times when the intensity of the workout causes grunting to become involuntary.
    Last week, on back day, I was doing T-bar rows (3 sets of 10 reps) and on my last set I was (barely) able to finish out my last few reps but the effort resulted in some loud yet involuntary grunting. I certainly didn't do it for attention (in fact, I was embarrassed when a guy across the room stopped to look at me) but it was worth it to get the last few reps in rather than just quit because of not wanting to grunt.

ETA: while it's possible to bench or squat in the smith machine, it is far from optimal. Actual squat racks, bench press racks and Olympic barbells (the size needed for back squats) are banned as a matter of corporate policy so no, they really don't have the proper equipment.
  • CincyNeid
    Options

No more like lower weight= endurance
    Higher weight= muscles
    All muscle is lean and you can't lengthen your muscles without surgery

Even at that... how would one build muscle w/o lifting above your "limits" ....
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Their dumbbells only go up to 80 lbs so problem solved.