Diet drinks?

Options
Are zero calorie/or diet drinks bad for u? Or make it harder to loose weight?

I drink them all the time. I don't know why they would be bad if they don't have anything in them, but I read something about it and was curious.

Replies

• rachellerma1992
    rachellerma1992 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    They can cause cravings for higher sugar items, in essence sabotaging your hard work if you give in. Also, they can cause water retention and bloating. Neither is very attractive. Dropping soda and switching to water was my first change.
    Ok thank you. I don't drink a lot of soda but when I do it's diet. I really struggle with drinking zero calorie bubbly water drinks, but if they make my cravings worse I'm so cutting that stuff out of my diet.
  • rachellerma1992
    Options
    I drink two cans of Diet Mt Dew every day and it hasn't prevented me from losing weight. :) Some people think they're bad because of the aspartame. If you google aspartame there's a lot of controversy on it causing cancer. I just shrug it off because apparently everything causes cancer these days.
    Hahaha that's what I say, and okay awesome then I won't worry about it to much.
  • rachellerma1992
    Options
    Some people have issues or intolerances with the artificial sweeteners in diet drinks. Those people may need to avoid them. But if you don't have any problems with them then diet drinks should be fine in moderation.
    Thank you!:)
  • rachellerma1992
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    They can cause cravings for higher sugar items, in essence sabotaging your hard work if you give in. Also, they can cause water retention and bloating. Neither is very attractive. Dropping soda and switching to water was my first change.
    Ok thank you. I don't drink a lot of soda but when I do it's diet. I really struggle with drinking zero calorie bubbly water drinks, but if they make my cravings worse I'm so cutting that stuff out of my diet.

Do they make your cravings worse? Because if they don't , you're fine. I drink diet Dr Pepper and have lost 50+ lbs and its never affected me negatively.

Honestly I have no idea I crave sugar anyways. I love candy like I have a probable lol. But I haven't been able to tell a big difference before when I do or don't drink them. I just don't want it to affect me loosing weight or make this journey of mine even harder then it is.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 75lbs drinking diet coke daily...usually 3-4 cans.
  • rachellerma1992
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Ive lost 75lbs drinking diet coke daily...usually 3-4 cans.
    Wow that is awesome!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Do they personally cause cravings for you? If not, then there's absolutely no need to cut 0 calorie drinks out. I drink them occasionally and love them, and they aren't problematic for me.
  • patongreg
    patongreg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else or science, but they make me crave sweets which are my weakness, so I avoid them.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    Individuals will always have varying subjective responses to foods - but unless you have a medical condition or an allergy there is no need to avoid diet sodas.

If you individually find they increase cravings or whatever, then don't drink them.

But most people do not find that.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners aren't good for you. And neither is the caramel coloring. And the carbonation/acidity of the drinks themselves can both some people with sensitive stomachs. That said, they're fine in moderation. I try not to drink more than 2 or 3 a week, and I try to stick to Zevia, Honest Fizz, and the like since they use stevia to sweeten instead of sucralose or aspartame.