Diet drinks?

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    It all depends on you, for some people it creates cravings, for others it does not. I have always drank them and it does not cause me to crave other things :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Most belief that it induces hunger is via the power of suggestion or behavioral/social conditioning . As far as I'm aware no credible studies have shown this to be the case in humans. What has been demonstrated is the following :smile:

1. Overweight individuals are more likely to drink diet soda than their healthy weight counterparts
    2. Some overweight individuals eat more food than they otherwise would have if they substitute diet soda for sugared soda

I'm pretty sure #1 is adequately explained by the fact that overweight individuals are likely to be at least somewhat aware that they should not cuisine so many calories from soda and motivated to swap drinks. The second point is a substitution effect.

If you're not allergic to aspartame or sucralose and don't find them unpalatable, there's nothing diet - defeating about them.

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    I drink at least a 2-liter of diet soda a day. I have for many years. It's never harmed my weight loss nor made me crave anything. I find the carbonation helps me feel fuller since it feels like it's expanding my stomach and feels like I just ate a snack.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    I drink diet soda and don't have any issues with my weight loss. I don't notice any cravings either. I mean I crave the soda so I have one and then I'm good. It doesn't increase my cravings for "bad" food or anything like that.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I've been drinking a diet soda everyday for the last 10-14 years. I've never been overweight, never had a problem losing vanity lbs. It doesn't make me crave sweet foods, in fact it probably satisfies my craving for sweets.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I drink diet soda everyday, lost 121 pounds, now maintaining for almost 20 months.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Man I came in here for the "GOOD VS TERRIBLE" debate and it's not even happening.
    Just logical folk posting logical information.

I drink diet sodas constantly. It helps destroy my sweet cravings.
    If I did away with them, I'd probably binge even more.
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    I think this depends on everyone. Diet soda becomes an addiction, the same as regular soda, or coffee would. Honestly, i'm confused how anyone can think it's 'good' for you, considering it is entirely artificial.

By quitting diet soda, I lost weight and reduced the majority of my fibromyalgia symptoms. Most people may not have an issue with this, but I have a reaction to aspartame that causes immense body pain and flare ups.
  • Serah87
    I think this depends on everyone. Diet soda becomes an addiction, the same as regular soda, or coffee would. Honestly, i'm confused how anyone can think it's 'good' for you, considering it is entirely artificial.

By quitting diet soda, I lost weight and reduced the majority of my fibromyalgia symptoms. Most people may not have an issue with this, but I have a reaction to aspartame that causes immense body pain and flare ups.

You lost weight because you were in a deficit, diet soda has no calories.
  • daniellek30
    Serah87 wrote: »

You lost weight because you were in a deficit, diet soda has no calories.

I lost weight because diet soda makes me bloat like no other. I know my own body :)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I sometimes drink them, sometimes don't, and have noticed no difference in either my ability to lose weight or my hunger or desire for sweet things when I drink them. Instead, as Dianne said, if anything having one hits the spot if I do want to eat outside of mealtime (although coffee works even better for me).

Have also noticed no bloating.
  • daniellek30
    I think what is interesting is that people assume just because they have had no issues drinking diet soda, then no one else will.

Every persons body is different, we have different medical issues or lack there of. +

Some people DO note weight loss when quitting diet soda, whether it be from quitting the foods that they also associate with it or whatever. Just because you didn't, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Some people DO note bloating when drinking diet soda (such as myself, considering it is carbonation and all.) Some people don't! If you don't, don't assume that no one else does.

My opinion is that to boast of being a 'healthy living individual', and then to consistently drink diet soda is hypocritical. Obviously every one in a while to treat yourself is fine, but the ingredients in diet soda should be enough to realize it's not good for you.

Anything artificial is not fantastic for you. People can post all day how 'aspartame is not actually bad for you' and that's wonderful that you think that, but it's awful for me. Phosphoric acid is not good for you. It's put into the drink to prevent molding, and it is corrosive and if put directly onto your skin would cause a rash. I don't want that in my body.
  • Serah87
    I think what is interesting is that people assume just because they have had no issues drinking diet soda, then no one else will.

Every persons body is different, we have different medical issues or lack there of. +

Some people DO note weight loss when quitting diet soda, whether it be from quitting the foods that they also associate with it or whatever. Just because you didn't, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Some people DO note bloating when drinking diet soda (such as myself, considering it is carbonation and all.) Some people don't! If you don't, don't assume that no one else does.

My opinion is that to boast of being a 'healthy living individual', and then to consistently drink diet soda is hypocritical. Obviously every one in a while to treat yourself is fine, but the ingredients in diet soda should be enough to realize it's not good for you.

Anything artificial is not fantastic for you. People can post all day how 'aspartame is not actually bad for you' and that's wonderful that you think that, but it's awful for me. Phosphoric acid is not good for you. It's put into the drink to prevent molding, and it is corrosive and if put directly onto your skin would cause a rash. I don't want that in my body.

I am in the best health ever, ask my doctor!! Still drinking diet soda!!!
  • daniellek30
    Serah87 wrote: »

I am in the best health ever, ask my doctor!! Still drinking diet soda!!!

And that's absolutely wonderful! But my point is, just because you are fine drinking diet soda, does not mean everyone is.

As said previously, diet soda causes an extreme flare up reaction with my fibromyalgia. You cannot go on defending it expecting that just because it doesn't effect you in a certain way, doesn't mean it won't effect other people.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    As said previously, diet soda causes an extreme flare up reaction with my fibromyalgia.

So you should not drink it.

Why does that mean OP shouldn't drink it, as this thread was from her asking if she would have negative effects on her weight loss if she does not cut it out.