Diet drinks?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I don't think you are using "persecuted" correctly.

However, thanks for clarifying where you were coming from. I understood (and continue to understand) OP's question as about diet soda in general, not for people with particular sensitivities and health conditions. In particular, I saw it as motivated by a question as to whether it would be bad for her or her weight loss. Therefore, unless you were trying to claim it was bad for that IN GENERAL (as I see you were), I didn't understand why you were focusing on your health issues.

As for the claim that it makes it harder to lose weight IN GENERAL, for everyone, that's simply not true.

You are correct - it is not true. I don't think it makes it harder to lose weight in general. I never said that.

I said it makes me bloat! And I saw the question focused on whether or not it was good for you, and so I was giving an example based off of myself. :)

I think the bigger point here now, is there is a way to approach people with your comments back to someone, without making them feel like an idiot and being hurtful. For example, the poster who says 'Didn't you hear? If you aren't a clean eater/health oriented person then you only eat Cheetos and drink Diet Coke.'.

That's not necessary, since no one said that.

But yet you can say those of us that drink diet soda are somehow less healthy than...people who drink water exclusively. So you can hurt my feelings, that's ok?

not srs
  • Alluminati
    edited May 2016
    double posties
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2016
    (double post - MFP %features%.)
  • Alluminati
    I drink two cans of Diet Mt Dew every day and it hasn't prevented me from losing weight. :) Some people think they're bad because of the aspartame. If you google aspartame there's a lot of controversy on it causing cancer. I just shrug it off because apparently everything causes cancer these days.

Mtn Dew is my weakness.....need to get a fix. How close is the taste pf Diet Dew to regular Dew?

I heard it tasted doodoo-ish. Diet Dr. Pepper is nirvana, though.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I get that now.. I guess because @dan highjacked the thread quite a back.. I thought she was her, never the less, this is where it really began with all the debating ..
  • RoxieDawn
    I get that now.. I guess because @dan highjacked the thread quite a back.. I thought she was her, never the less, this is where it really began with all the debating ..
  • RoxieDawn
  • RoxieDawn
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    I didn't want to drink my calories when I was prepping for my wedding, so I bought a case of Coke Zero. Mentally, it acted as a crutch for when I wanted to snack on something bad, I'd say, well I'll just drink a coke instead. I love coke, so that substitution worked for me.

Now, I don't struggle with many cravings. If I do, I'm more in-tune with my own body to anticipate them and work them in. I still drink coke, because I live in the f'ing desert and it's a refreshing beverage.
  • RoxieDawn
    I get that now.. I guess because she highjacked the thread quite a back.. I thought she was her, but nevertheless, this is where it really began with earlier in the thread..
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    edited May 2016
    So many double posts - I think MFP crashed a little bit. If I offended anyone by saying that I don't think diet soda is healthy, then I am very sorry and that was not my intention.

The diet soda vs. non diet soda is obviously a very touchy subject to people!

I also did not hijack this post, I posted an answer to it and apparently people had an issue with it. I should have only posted once :)

Also, I'm sorry that I also feel very strongly about people mocking other people based on their opinions and how a product makes them feel. I also don't think that tanning beds are healthy - my bad. It's a tough world to live in when people would rather mock you and be hateful than be kind.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I guess the forums don't just have problems for me lately with all the double to penta posts.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    I think this depends on everyone. Diet soda becomes an addiction, the same as regular soda, or coffee would. Honestly, i'm confused how anyone can think it's 'good' for you, considering it is entirely artificial.

By quitting diet soda, I lost weight and reduced the majority of my fibromyalgia symptoms. Most people may not have an issue with this, but I have a reaction to aspartame that causes immense body pain and flare ups.

Diet Mtn Dew:

First 2 ingredients are carbonated water, and concentrated orange juice. Please explain the "entirely artificial" comment ..
  • sseqwnp
    I think what is interesting is that people assume just because they have had no issues drinking diet soda, then no one else will.

Every persons body is different, we have different medical issues or lack there of. +

Some people DO note weight loss when quitting diet soda, whether it be from quitting the foods that they also associate with it or whatever. Just because you didn't, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Some people DO note bloating when drinking diet soda (such as myself, considering it is carbonation and all.) Some people don't! If you don't, don't assume that no one else does.

My opinion is that to boast of being a 'healthy living individual', and then to consistently drink diet soda is hypocritical. Obviously every one in a while to treat yourself is fine, but the ingredients in diet soda should be enough to realize it's not good for you.

Anything artificial is not fantastic for you. People can post all day how 'aspartame is not actually bad for you' and that's wonderful that you think that, but it's awful for me. Phosphoric acid is not good for you. It's put into the drink to prevent molding, and it is corrosive and if put directly onto your skin would cause a rash. I don't want that in my body.

So would stomach acid. That's in your body.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I drink two cans of Diet Mt Dew every day and it hasn't prevented me from losing weight. :) Some people think they're bad because of the aspartame. If you google aspartame there's a lot of controversy on it causing cancer. I just shrug it off because apparently everything causes cancer these days.

Mtn Dew is my weakness.....need to get a fix. How close is the taste pf Diet Dew to regular Dew?

Not even close. My boyfriend accidentally bought me diet Dew a few years ago. I still give him grief about it (it's that bad!).
  • sseqwnp
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Not even close. My boyfriend accidentally bought me diet Dew a few years ago. I still give him grief about it (it's that bad!).

Try the throwback ... cane sugar instead of HFCS ... it matters.