Diet drinks?

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    This is why people keep responding to you. What makes you think that the ONLY healthy thing I should be drinking is water? Maybe I like to have a diet soda with my broccoli, steak, and potatoes. How is that not healthy?

I think you hit it right on the head there bub. What makes you think. It's what I THINK.

Trust me, I use to drink soda ALL DAY, EVERY DAY! I feel better each day without it, I really do! (It was very hard for me to give it up!)

I also stated that treating yourself is fine, I just think it's better to drink water. Water is always better to drink.

I'm curious how many more times i'll have to say, great - drink your diet soda - this is my opinion!

On a lighter note, maybe i'll have steak tonight.

Just because you think it's unhealthy to drink diet doesn't mean it is.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have been reading through this thread now for about and hour or so..

OP you do not have to keep responding to everyone's comments/posts and keep saying "great, drink your soda... I think after reading through this it is pretty evident your stance on diet sodas.

So here is my 2 cents worth...

OP, you said it yourself a few posts back, no one's body is the same. And this pretty much covers the entire scope of the topic. I guess I could say that everyone will not encounter health issues, but there are some
    with intolerance, allergies to certain things in certain foods and drinks, etc.. and so on and so on.

There was no one persecuting anyone here, it is just that your information is solely opinion related as it relates to you currently, and it appears when one disagrees or debates, it becomes a bit hostile.

But there really is no need for this to be debated here, if you search the entire MFP community including the debate forums you will find this already has been discussed at great length and continues to today!

We all here with non health related issues can drink this on occasion or even daily (not all day).. Its not a treat, it is part of what we drink in our daily diets including the gobs of water we comsume along with the soda!

No one is the same here!
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't think aspartame is healthy. I don't think phosphoric acid is healthy. I've had doctors tell me diet soda is not healthy.

You do think it's healthy. You've probably read something somewhere saying it poses no unhealthy side effects.

I have Dr and nurse friends that attribute most kidney stones to both REGULAR and diet soda.

You are defending something you feel very passionate about - and that is great! Okay? You're right, i'm wrong!

We good now? Because at the end of the day, i'm not going to go drink diet soda, and you are! And if you drink it consistently, you may or may not notice a difference.

I've honestly never even seen people defend prominent government issues as much as I've seen them defend diet soda today. Whoa.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    This is why people keep responding to you. What makes you think that the ONLY healthy thing I should be drinking is water? Maybe I like to have a diet soda with my broccoli, steak, and potatoes. How is that not healthy?

I think you hit it right on the head there bub. What makes you think. It's what I THINK.

Trust me, I use to drink soda ALL DAY, EVERY DAY! I feel better each day without it, I really do! (It was very hard for me to give it up!)

I also stated that treating yourself is fine, I just think it's better to drink water. Water is always better to drink.

I'm curious how many more times i'll have to say, great - drink your diet soda - this is my opinion!

On a lighter note, maybe i'll have steak tonight.

Guess what ingredient makes up 95% of diet soda....

I honestly think there's a lot of people who don't know that and instead think it's some sort of evil liquid chemical.
  • daniellek30
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

OP you do not have to keep responding to everyone's comments/posts and keep saying "great, drink your soda... I think after reading through this it is pretty evident your stance on diet sodas.

OP, you said it yourself a few posts back, no one's body is the same. And this pretty much covers the entire scope of the topic. I guess I could say that everyone will not encounter health issues, but there are some
    with intolerance, allergies to certain things in certain foods and drinks, etc.. and so on and so on.

There was no one persecuting anyone here, it is just that your information is solely opinion related as it relates to you currently, and it appears when one disagrees or debates, it becomes a bit hostile.

But there really is no need for this to be debated here, if you search the entire MFP community including the debate forums you will find this already has been discussed at great length and continues to today!

We all here with non health related issues can drink this on occasion or even daily (not all day).. Its not a treat, it is part of what we drink in our daily diets including the gobs of water we comsume along with the soda!

No one is the same here!

Thank you for actually posting a response that wasn't based on mockery. And you're right, no one is the same!

When someone asks a question, and you respond, you're going to give an opinion based off of your experience.

Not everyone else's.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Okay! You're right. I'm wrong! Again - if you'd all like to drink it, that's great! I answered the poster's question. And I'm moving on.

Have a great day everyone! :)

Also - I like you're username @mathiseasy

Um...

None. Yet you seem to keep doing it anyway.

OP - as has been mentioned: unless you have a specific issue with it, no, it's not unhealthy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Katwin2013 wrote: »
    We need to drink water I love those diet drinks but in a way we are just doing what we have always done and we do not learn healthier habits

Who doesn't drink water? Is there some rule that you can't drink water and diet soda? There's even water IN diet soda.

I don't care that much about diet soda, since I prefer to get my caffeine in coffee, but similarly, it's really quite easy to drink both coffee AND water (and there's water in coffee).

I also don't understand the idea that drinking water is something OTHER THAN we've always done that we need to learn to do. I've always enjoyed and consumed lots of water, and don't see this as a skill one must learn. I also don't see it as inconsistent with drinking other beverages. I don't eat only one food, why would I drink only one beverage?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Are zero calorie/or diet drinks bad for u? Or make it harder to loose weight?

I drink them all the time. I don't know why they would be bad if they don't have anything in them, but I read something about it and was curious.

Are zero calorie/or diet drinks bad for u?

That is the question that was asked. I'm really confused why i'm being persecuted for answering the question the same way everyone else would, with their opinion. She also asked if it made it harder to lose weight, and in my opinion it does. So i'm wrong, because of my opinion?

I don't think you are using "persecuted" correctly.

However, thanks for clarifying where you were coming from. I understood (and continue to understand) OP's question as about diet soda in general, not for people with particular sensitivities and health conditions. In particular, I saw it as motivated by a question as to whether it would be bad for her or her weight loss. Therefore, unless you were trying to claim it was bad for that IN GENERAL (as I see you were), I didn't understand why you were focusing on your health issues.

As for the claim that it makes it harder to lose weight IN GENERAL, for everyone, that's simply not true.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Dreaded double post.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Just to be sure, if I make my own tea every day and drink that almost exclusively because I like it over plain water, will someone come and tell me I have to drink water?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Just FTR, daniellek30 is not OP. OP seems to enjoy diet soda, and my interpretation is that some people are trying to tell her that's wrong.
  • daniellek30
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I don't think you are using "persecuted" correctly.

However, thanks for clarifying where you were coming from. I understood (and continue to understand) OP's question as about diet soda in general, not for people with particular sensitivities and health conditions. In particular, I saw it as motivated by a question as to whether it would be bad for her or her weight loss. Therefore, unless you were trying to claim it was bad for that IN GENERAL (as I see you were), I didn't understand why you were focusing on your health issues.

As for the claim that it makes it harder to lose weight IN GENERAL, for everyone, that's simply not true.

You are correct - it is not true. I don't think it makes it harder to lose weight in general. I never said that.

I said it makes me bloat! And I saw the question focused on whether or not it was bad for you, and so I was giving an example based off of myself, that yes it was in fact bad for me. :)

I think the bigger point here now, is there is a way to approach people with your comments back to someone, without making them feel like an idiot and being hurtful. For example, the poster who says 'Didn't you hear? If you aren't a clean eater/health oriented person then you only eat Cheetos and drink Diet Coke.'.

That's not necessary, since no one said that.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I get that now.. I guess because @dan highjacked the thread quite a back.. I thought she was her, never the less, this is where it really began with all the debating ..
  • wickedmaineah
    wickedmaineah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I drink two cans of Diet Mt Dew every day and it hasn't prevented me from losing weight. :) Some people think they're bad because of the aspartame. If you google aspartame there's a lot of controversy on it causing cancer. I just shrug it off because apparently everything causes cancer these days.

Mtn Dew is my weakness.....need to get a fix. How close is the taste pf Diet Dew to regular Dew?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Just FTR, daniellek30 is not OP. OP seems to enjoy diet soda, and my interpretation is that some people are trying to tell her that's wrong.

I don't get what ya saying here.. lost in translation.

OP = Original Poster