Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options

Replies

• HenryCT
    HenryCT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    HenryCT wrote: »
    ETA: There was also an argument about sick people assuming everyone else was sick. Diabetes is one thing, but there is no sickness called "being sensitive to insulin, and sugar", at least if you try to make an argument that there is such a thing, you will be blasted for it (always by people who aren't sensitive to it, of course). All a very circular debate.

Being sensitive to insulin is not a disease because it is the desired, healthy state. It's when your insulin receptors lose their sensitivity that a person develops Insulin Resistantance which IS a disease. Incidentally, Insulin Resistance causes sensitivity to sugar.

Right, that is what I was referring to, insulin insensitivity (and sugar sensitivity), my bad on the misappropriation.

I read some articles recently about how a high fructose diet during development of the fetus can negatively affect lifelong endocrine, appetite, feeding behavior and fat burning/distribution. (Goran MI, Dumke K, Bouret SG, Kayser B, Walker RW, Blumberg B. The obesogenic effect of high fructose exposure during early development. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2013 Jun 4;)

I think a big challenge is that many don't see insulin resistance as a disease, but more of a symptom that only occurs after significant weight gain. I believe there is something of predisposition to it, and those who have this underlying genetic issue are the ones that need to strictly control carb and sugar intake (for life). There are others who can eat whatever they want and remain in good health (I know a bunch of them).
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    How easy is it for a person to know whether they are insulin resistance? Would it be picked up if someone has a physical with routine blood tests? Do they physically feel badly which would prompt a doctor visit?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    How easy is it for a person to know whether they are insulin resistance? Would it be picked up if someone has a physical with routine blood tests? Do they physically feel badly which would prompt a doctor visit?

Not an expert, but should be noticable by any test that has fasting glucose/insulin as part of it which should be any old routine bloodwork I think.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@100df I think it is this cluster of health concerns that points to insulin resistance perhaps in an indirect way?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4129661/
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I don't think I have it but was wondering how someone would find out.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    inspirationgreen.com/all-the-different-sugars.html

This is just a list with a blip of info about different kinds of sugars out there.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Diagnosing insulin resistance based on the metabolic syndrome criteria works for some groups but not all ethnic groups. Also, considering that unusually high post meal blood sugars can result while fasting blood sugars remain normal once insulin resistance develops, an A1C test can also be helpful.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    inspirationgreen.com/all-the-different-sugars.html

This is just a list with a blip of info about different kinds of sugars out there.

You lost me at "toxic."

Thankfully, that was in the title so I didn't actually waste my time on the rest of it. :)

I see that. As a researcher I read the Google blip and if interested I start reading. Editor titles are typically of a negative value when it comes to scientific subjects I find.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Looking things up on the Google doesn't make you a researcher
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Looking things up on the Google doesn't make you a researcher

True it makes me a researcher of research. ,+
  • adremark
    adremark Posts: 774 Member
    Options

Not an expert, but should be noticable by any test that has fasting glucose/insulin as part of it which should be any old routine bloodwork I think.

When doing fasting bloodwork, it would show if your glucose is high or not. But that could be either because of low production of insulin, or insulin resistance, or a combination of both. It is possible to do a glucose challenge test, and during that test (which normally just measures blood glucose levels) also measure insulin levels. From the two, you could deduce whether you have insulin resistance.

Exercise definitely decreases insulin resistance, but will not have an effect on insulin production. If you don't change your diet, but do start an exercise program, and the fasting glucose levels decrease, then that is evidence for insulin resistance. Once you also change your diet, it is difficult to tease apart the two (without bloodwork being done as mentioned above).
  • adremark
    adremark Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Diagnosing insulin resistance based on the metabolic syndrome criteria works for some groups but not all ethnic groups. Also, considering that unusually high post meal blood sugars can result while fasting blood sugars remain normal once insulin resistance develops, an A1C test can also be helpful.

Agree with both of your comments.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    rickyll wrote: »
    lots of people here think sugar isn't bad for you? Weird.
    I know, I know: everything in moderation...even moderation. But moderation for sugar is a VERY small amount...I'm not a nutritionist but do our bodies really need the amount of sugar we constantly eat? I doubt it.

I get about 30-40 grams of sugar a day while AVOIDING it. If I were to have a glass of orange juice on any given day I would almost DOUBLE my average daily intake. Think about that and tell me that the overindulgence of sugar is not an issue with out society.

So yes, I think sugar should be a "villain" at least temporarily because that's the only way A LOT people will learn to pay attention to it and control their intake.

Sugar or added sugar?

both
  • traceyc83
    traceyc83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I watched a really good documentary on Netflix called sugar coated. I recommend anyone who can watch it, watch it.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    traceyc83 wrote: »
    I watched a really good documentary on Netflix called sugar coated. I recommend anyone who can watch it, watch it.

It's not on Netflix where I live. Can you sum it up?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    traceyc83 wrote: »

It's not on Netflix where I live. Can you sum it up?

I exercised a little google-fu on it. The keywords are "Big Sugar". :*