Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options

Replies

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    traceyc83 wrote: »
    I watched a really good documentary on Netflix called sugar coated. I recommend anyone who can watch it, watch it.

It's not on Netflix where I live. Can you sum it up?

I exercised a little google-fu on it. The keywords are "Big Sugar". :*

I'm just so curious to hear what makes it a really good documentary. As opposed to, say, Fed Up. ;)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Sugars and Health Controversies: What Does the Science Say?

http://advances.nutrition.org/content/6/4/493S.abstract

Although more research trials are needed in many areas of sugar consumption and health, there is little scientific justification for recommending restricting sugar consumption below the reasonable upper limit recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010 of no more than 25% of calories
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I think Credit Suisse does a much better job at outlining "what the science says" in their report, Sugar Consumption at a crossroads.

As a bonus they're not funded by ConAgra Foods, Kraft Foods, the Florida Department of Citrus, PepsiCo International, The Coca-Cola Company, the Corn Refiners Association, Weight Watchers International, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, and various publishers.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think Credit Suisse does a much better job at outlining "what the science says" in their report, Sugar Consumption at a crossroads.

As a bonus they're not funded by ConAgra Foods, Kraft Foods, the Florida Department of Citrus, PepsiCo International, The Coca-Cola Company, the Corn Refiners Association, Weight Watchers International, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, and various publishers.

NM.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

It's a financial group. I don't doubt that they know how to do general research but I do doubt they have the proper training to know whether a hypothesis is plausible in the slightest, seeing how at one point they talk about an idea after which sugar somehow creates bodyfat faster than other things which doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

It does show that up to 90+% of doctors have little to no knowledge of nutrition from a survey they did though, at least that is correct, as are probably most of the economical statistics they have in it, though there was a diagram showing calorie consumption that I'm fairly sure was actually the calorie availability from the FAO statistics. I wouldn't place too much money on their interpretations of medical connections though.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Although more research trials are needed in many areas of sugar consumption and health, there is little scientific justification for recommending restricting sugar consumption below the reasonable upper limit recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010 of no more than 25% of calories

Did you read where they corrected that from 25% to 10%?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Wow, 29 pages now!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

The Guidelines? It's <10% ADDED sugar, not total. They also recommend 2 cups of fruit per day, <10% sat fat per day, and a carb range of 45%-65%. The current added sugar recommendation (as with WHO) is obesity focused -- because of the number of discretionary calories that allow one to meet nutritional requirements without going over calories.

I personally am comfortable with <10% added sugar (I tend to consume less than that on most days, and am also okay with the WHO's 5% if possible number), think fruit is kind of optional if one eats lots of vegetables, and that a carb range much broader than that (including low carb) is fine within a sensible diet and if healthy fat and protein targets are met, and also adequate micros are consumed. But I certainly wouldn't point to its recommendations on sugar while ignoring its recommendations overall.

The Guidelines are, IMO, an excellent way to have a healthy balanced diet without having to think that much about the details, and consistent with the advise of most mainstream nutrition experts. If one wants to focus on the details of how to meet needs in a less traditional diet, one can while deviating from the advice in various ways, depending on one's personal health issues (i.e., some people probably don't have to worry about sat fat, despite the various longitudinal studies and the evidence it negatively affects cholesterol for a subset).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The Guidelines? It's <10% ADDED sugar, not total. They also recommend 2 cups of fruit per day, <10% sat fat per day, and a carb range of 45%-65%. The current added sugar recommendation (as with WHO) is obesity focused -- because of the number of discretionary calories that allow one to meet nutritional requirements without going over calories.

I personally am comfortable with <10% added sugar (I tend to consume less than that on most days, and am also okay with the WHO's 5% if possible number), think fruit is kind of optional if one eats lots of vegetables, and that a carb range much broader than that (including low carb) is fine within a sensible diet and if healthy fat and protein targets are met, and also adequate micros are consumed. But I certainly wouldn't point to its recommendations on sugar while ignoring its recommendations overall.

The Guidelines are, IMO, an excellent way to have a healthy balanced diet without having to think that much about the details, and consistent with the advise of most mainstream nutrition experts. If one wants to focus on the details of how to meet needs in a less traditional diet, one can while deviating from the advice in various ways, depending on one's personal health issues (i.e., some people probably don't have to worry about sat fat, despite the various longitudinal studies and the evidence it negatively affects cholesterol for a subset).

Thanks for correcting the numbers.
  • adremark
    adremark Posts: 774 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I think what @lemurcat12 points out is key to what the purpose is of the guidelines. They are not for nutritional scientists; rather, they are for the lay person who does not have the time or resources to analyze the data. Instead, the guidelines provide a reasonable approach which is easy to follow.
  • jabberwocky918
    jabberwocky918 Posts: 50 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ElishaCA wrote: »
    I only made it about halfway thru this before getting really frustrated and had to stop. I aopolize in advance if I am repeating something already said in the second half I did not make it to.

It seems like everyone is focusing in on details and missing the bigger picture. Does sugar cause the pleasure centers of the brain to light up? Yes. Does this make us physiologically more likely to eat more sugar? Yes. Is this also true of fats? Yes! And salt? Yep. And whatever particular food is your unique "weakness"? Yes! Do some people seem to have a greater propensity for this to occur with sugar vs fat? I don't know. Probably. And others probably have this occur more with fat vs sugar. Are there others who don't struggle at all with this? Yep. Am I saying that sugar is addictive? Yes. For some. And fats for others. Am I about to get a whole lotta replies telling me I'm an idiot? Probably.

I totally agree. Sugar is addictive, but perhaps the focus should be spent on educating youth on being healthy and the importance of exercise and unprocessed foods. If the masses keep favoring the overprocessed profit-maximizing foods, our healthy margin of the food market will be screwed too. How about lending a hand when you see somebody drowning in corporate *kitten*? Do you HAVE to? No. Should people have the willpower to resist the bombardment of ads and deliciously manufactured foods? Yes. However, the large companies of the food industry invest in research to make foods "taste" better at a lower cost. To totally disregard this is naive and reinforced ignorance. Also, isn't the whole point of the MFP community to come together and help people out?
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    ElishaCA wrote: »
    I only made it about halfway thru this before getting really frustrated and had to stop. I aopolize in advance if I am repeating something already said in the second half I did not make it to.

It seems like everyone is focusing in on details and missing the bigger picture. Does sugar cause the pleasure centers of the brain to light up? Yes. Does this make us physiologically more likely to eat more sugar? Yes. Is this also true of fats? Yes! And salt? Yep. And whatever particular food is your unique "weakness"? Yes! Do some people seem to have a greater propensity for this to occur with sugar vs fat? I don't know. Probably. And others probably have this occur more with fat vs sugar. Are there others who don't struggle at all with this? Yep. Am I saying that sugar is addictive? Yes. For some. And fats for others. Am I about to get a whole lotta replies telling me I'm an idiot? Probably.

I totally agree. Sugar is addictive, but perhaps the focus should be spent on educating youth on being healthy and the importance of exercise and unprocessed foods. If the masses keep favoring the overprocessed profit-maximizing foods, our healthy margin of the food market will be screwed too. How about lending a hand when you see somebody drowning in corporate *kitten*? Do you HAVE to? No. Should people have the willpower to resist the bombardment of ads and deliciously manufactured foods? Yes. However, the large companies of the food industry invest in research to make foods "taste" better at a lower cost. To totally disregard this is naive and reinforced ignorance. Also, isn't the whole point of the MFP community to come together and help people out?

These are great points. The question I have is why are these things adictive? It's not just the pleasure hormomes. sugar releases insulin. Insulin takes some of the food you ate and stores it as fat instead of it being used for energy.

Your body say where's that energy I needed? Your body say we must need more food, it then trigger Ghrelin to make you hungry again. So you eat more. If you eat sugar the process starts all over again.

I do agree we should be coming together, and the food companies are doing a great job of misinformation to keep people from focusing on them.