Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The Sugar Conspiracy

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    So firstly here is the link for you to read yourselves:-

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

Its definitely interesting reading, let me have your thoughts please

Did anyone have thoughts on the original article?
    “If only a small fraction of what we know about the effects of sugar were to be revealed in relation to any other material used as a food additive,” wrote Yudkin, “that material would promptly be banned.”

I love it. Complete fabrications and the usual "that's the reason you're fat!" zealotry.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I overeat everything (well, if I like it -- I don't like straight sugar or soda or candy, but I do like sugar + fat, just not more than savory items of various sorts and less if they are too sweet, usually). You want to make that into something beyond a taste difference. Instead, because I don't care for jujubes, this means that you are an "addict" and I can't understand the struggles you face. My overeating is of a different kind. That strikes me as pretty strange.

And that's where the disconnect lies, I think. I can't speak for nvmomketo but I can say that there absolutely is a difference between overindulging in a food because it's delicious and convenient and the compulsion to eat and keep eating some experience from carbs/sugar.

I believe the first responds best to good eating habits and the second to abstinence. Whether it's an addiction, some sort of insulin or other hormone problem I don't know. But I do know it's a real phenomenon that has nothing to do with bad habits, emotional eating or a relationship with food.

But how do you know the things we had problems with weren't doing to us the same sugar did to you?

This asks very clearly what I think the rest of us have been trying to say.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I overeat everything (well, if I like it -- I don't like straight sugar or soda or candy, but I do like sugar + fat, just not more than savory items of various sorts and less if they are too sweet, usually). You want to make that into something beyond a taste difference. Instead, because I don't care for jujubes, this means that you are an "addict" and I can't understand the struggles you face. My overeating is of a different kind. That strikes me as pretty strange.

And that's where the disconnect lies, I think. I can't speak for nvmomketo but I can say that there absolutely is a difference between overindulging in a food because it's delicious and convenient and the compulsion to eat and keep eating some experience from carbs/sugar.

I believe the first responds best to good eating habits and the second to abstinence. Whether it's an addiction, some sort of insulin or other hormone problem I don't know. But I do know it's a real phenomenon that has nothing to do with bad habits, emotional eating or a relationship with food.

But how do you know the things we had problems with weren't doing to us the same sugar did to you?

Maybe they are doing the same thing. Hard to tell though because of the refusal to understand the problems around sugar.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    So firstly here is the link for you to read yourselves:-

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

Its definitely interesting reading, let me have your thoughts please

Did anyone have thoughts on the original article?
    “If only a small fraction of what we know about the effects of sugar were to be revealed in relation to any other material used as a food additive,” wrote Yudkin, “that material would promptly be banned.”

I provided a link to a response which I thought was really good much closer in time to when I read the orginal article. It's near the beginning of this thread.

Thanks. I'll have to go back and read it. These threads all start to blur together after a while and I'm sure I missed it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Likewise, I also think demonizing abstinence because YOU find the practice to be unsustainable is a bad idea. I have never said that anybody has an easier road than I do, but there are those who are unfamiliar with my exact situation (as I am with theirs). We all have our trials and tribulations, weaknesses and strengths, we just have to play the cards we're dealt. However, our ability to offer useful advice is limited by our experience and if you have no experience concerning problems with sugary foods, the value of that advice to me is greatly diminished.

Saying you have a problem with sugar/fat/salt doesn't absolve you of responsibility.

I have never once demonized abstinence (nor do I believe it is unsustainable), so once again you are arguing with something I've never said. Why? What's the point? Do you think I will forget that I am not against abstinence if someone prefers it and start arguing that everyone should eat cake? (I barely ever eat cake myself -- not worth the calories.)

lol. Take it easy, lady. I have never once demonized individual components of diet. So why are you arguing with something I never said? The answer (I'm hoping) is that you weren't talking about me specifically (if you were, you must have me confused with someone else). Likewise, I was not talking about you specifically. I still don't get why you would think that.

Seriously? You wrote that to me, immediately after quoting me, in a conversation we were having, and capitalized YOU. Of course it appeared like you were referring to me. I was specifically referring to the Lustig piece and keto mom's comments in the post you quoted, as was clear from the entirety of the post. I do believe that both of them have demonized components of a diet, yes.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Why don't we see loads of posts from people having to reduce protein and fat because it causes them cravings and they can't lose weight without reducing these 2? It's most always carbs/sugar, there's got to be something to it...

The "addiction" tests pinpoint both fat and carbs (and mostly combinations). What most reduce are mixed fat and carbs, they simply call them "carbs" today because hating carbs is trendy. The same foods would likely have been called "high fat" in the '80s and '90s.

And personally I did cut fat AND carbs, and I crave high protein foods all the time (although I am getting sick of the term "craving"). My biggest craving is probably spicy foods, macros not relevant. I simply think that most high protein foods are good to include in my diet, since they tend to be filling (which doesn't mean I can't overeat them, I could), and I need a certain amount of protein. The hyperpalatable carb/fat foods tend to be lower protein.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Why don't we see loads of posts from people having to reduce protein and fat because it causes them cravings and they can't lose weight without reducing these 2? It's most always carbs/sugar, there's got to be something to it...

Could it be because people define cookies as carbs, despite having more fat in them than anything?

Good point.. Although, my favourite cookies have 15g carbs and 5g fat per serving.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

ketomom claimed that she did because of hunger. If you are hungry, eat something filling. Yes, I have had a desire to eat something not that filling because it was delicious, but that's not what she said -- she said the issue was hunger. (My issue is not usually hunger, as I said.)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Because good habits worked for you. That wasn't enough for us. If it wasn't enough for you, you'd have employed abstinence, or you would still be fat.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

Could it be because people define cookies as carbs, despite having more fat in them than anything?

And for those of us who continued to experience the same issues, even after cutting out the junky foods? I've said it before - for me it wasn't simply "sugar". My diet was a dietitian's wet dream (whole grains, veggies and ruit, small amounts of lean meat, low fat or fat free dairy, very little added fat and that was mainly unsaturated, no soda or sweet beverages). I still was fat. And hungry. And couldn't lower my calories any further because of the hunger. Until I cut out not only the "added" sugar, but cut down drastically on added sugar, naturally occurring sugar, and starch. Then the hunger finally turned off and I could eat normal amounts of food and feel full for more than an hour at a time.