challenging myself to give up pop

Options
123457»

Replies

• jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started giving up pop even at restaurants but since Ive discovered that its very exaggerated about pop being that bad I think I'm going to just cut back instead of cutting it out completely. I still realize that pop is bad but if nothing is bad in small amounts I will probably just drink it around the holidays or something
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I started giving up pop even at restaurants but since Ive discovered that its very exaggerated about pop being that bad I think I'm going to just cut back instead of cutting it out completely. I still realize that pop is bad but if nothing is bad in small amounts I will probably just drink it around the holidays or something

I like you!!
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I'm glad you took some of the advice that was offered here. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Thanks lol I did a bit of research and listened to what you guys were saying and realized when I actually visited the website..there wasn't anything backing up what they claim pop did to your body and realized its was over exaggerating how bad pop really is as probably a scare tactic to get people to stop drinking it but oh well I think if I just do what your supposed to with consuming pop and sweets just less often if at all maybe its ok

This is a win
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me was to buy carbonated water (contains sodium), as well as seltzer water and add just a small amount of juice to the carbonated water or seltzer water with ice to help wean you off soda. You can start with a little more juice and reduce it as you need. I also would also add just a slice or two of oranges or limes or even grapes to the water.

Omg this would take me all day to prepare! And with all of the added stuff I might as well drink the soda!

All day to pour a tiny bit of juice and possibly add a wedge or two of lemon or lime to your drink? WTH are you, a sloth masquerading as a human?

BTW, adding "a little bit of juice" =/= all the calories of soda. Just a splash (talking 1/8 cup or less) adds a good amount of flavor...and adding a wedge of orange or lemon may had a small handful of calories.

Hyperbole much? LOL
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I give up soda from time to time for one reason and one reason only: I don't enjoy it enough to spend all those calories on it. Esp. this time of year, after a long hot day at work, I'd prefer to cool off with an ice cold beer at night. I'll drink water during the day (even flavored waters..yum) for Zero Calories

Sometimes I will have a Sprite Zero. It is the only zero-calorie soda that tastes OK. It has a smidge of diet taste but not like other sodas. It is enjoyable on occasion.

Soda is a good thing to give up, but please don't think it's the Death Drink of the Century. It's just another calorie dense, nutrition lacking, money suck. :)
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to give it up completely as well! I didnt drink that much to beginning with but I'm doing my best to cut back on it. Have you tried to replace it with things like sparkling water ? I find the carbonation is what I really miss.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    ...should be done by eating less food, and working out more. The food should be low in sugar, and a variety of meat, carbs, fat, nuts, etc. You shouldn't just reduce your calories and expect to lose weight and keep it off.

Reducing your calories is exactly what one should do to lose weight and keep it off.

Also, I don't eat meat. I don't need it, and it hasn't affected my health at all.

• wizzybeth
    Options
    I've been trying to give it up completely as well! I didnt drink that much to beginning with but I'm doing my best to cut back on it. Have you tried to replace it with things like sparkling water ? I find the carbonation is what I really miss.

Yes esp. in the summer. I like a little fizz!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    owensy12 wrote: »
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    owensy12 wrote: »
    km8907 wrote: »
    Health problems later in life can easily be prevented now, and a decreased consumption of processed foods will help the odds of you not dying a slow painful death. No guarantee, but what's the harm in trying? Health isn't always just about having six pack abs.

Processed foods are not evil either. They don't make you sick any more than any other single food item will, see "drinking too much water can kill you". For your health, as has been shown time and time again, becoming a healthy body weight and bodyfat percentage is the best thing you can do, it will improve basically all health markers and severely cut down on your CVD and diabetes risk, which in turn cuts down your kidney disease risk.
    We have so many people on here who don't demonize anything and incorporate any foods they like into a healthy overall diet, including processed foods and they don't just look good with six pack abs, they have the health to show for it too that comes with not being overweight and living an active lifestyle.

Processed foods, as in chemically processed and made from refined ingredients, are bad and do make you fat and sick. It's not hard to find the evidence... Just take a look at the amount of obese people in the western world, and the western diet! Processed foods are usually high in sugar/HFCS, contain all sorts of artificial ingredients, can become addictive, and are often high in refined carbs. They are not healthy, and should not be consumed frequently. Yes it's hard to avoid them, but when we replace real foods with processed junk foods, we do get fat and sick. It's fact.

The only thing that can make you fat is excessive calories.
    THAT is a fact.

Sure, only excessive calories will make you fat...But what happens if you eat a diet with a deficit in calories, but high in sugar? I can't see how that is long sustainable for anyone. Even if we do eat in a deficit in calories, which I doubt many people actually do, sugar is what we should be worried about. I for one, try to avoid sugar as often as I can. I may not be able to avoid processed foods all the time, but I can at least keep sugar out of my diet (except for fruit).

It isn't sustainable, and would lead to a myriad of health issues.

Really?? I lost 121 pounds and kept it off for almost 2 years now and I also reverse my heart disease all while eating "chemically filled foods"(whatever that means) and in perfect health per my doctor. Explain that!!!
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried sparkling water yet at home but I might look into that or a really natural pop like zevia or something. I miss the carbonation,fizz and flavor especially,at first I really missed the caffeine but didn't get bad headaches that people talk about I just got really irratated and frustrated at first but that died down after a few days lol if you guys know of any cheap or decently priced healthy pop with the cola nut extract in it I might like lower in sugar or healthier let me know. Ill be on the lookout for stuff..I tend to miss pop with specific foods like pizza or when I eat burgers and chinese food or if I have a particular sandwich.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    But based off the information I read..I'm guessing we would throw up without the acid in it due to the high sugar content

Uh, no. Don't think so. Really, except for the sugar, most of the scare tactics are just that. Not based on fact, just scare tactics.